Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who Wins and loses in Trump's Tax Plan

Oops...I thought I was on the game thread....

Carry on....the heck with the Donald...

Unintended posts can be deleted, yanno?

Of course I know that...usually my unintended posts amuse me...especially game thread posts on a political thread...so rather than delete it, instead I acknowledged it and took a lil' swipe at the Donald...

I'm honestly a little worried my middle class home is going to become a financial anchor. Middle class is getting gutted with or without this tax bill, but this will turn it up a notch. Seems reasonable to me that the high end of the housing market can thrive while the middle languishes.

Republicans have been enriching the millionaires, billionaires, and Big Business for more than 50 years, but tens of millions still vote for them, mostly b/c aryan baby jeebus says so.

But since SCOTUS ruled in favor of Citizens United, the socioeconomic deck will forever be stacked against we of the great unwashed. It is an exercise in futility to run for federal office, absent the support and funding of corporate personhood.

Disclaimer: none of what this tax-cut does or doesn't do, impacts me directly. But I have liittle doubt that Congress will get to me as well, sooner or later. We all need to make patriotic sacrifices for good ol' fashioned Red White and Blue Murkin Capitalism to further prosper and thrive.

Last edited:
Republicans have been enriching the millionaires, billionaires, and Big Business for more than 50 years, but tens of millions still vote for them, mostly b/c aryan baby jeebus says so.

But since SCOTUS ruled in favor of Citizens United, the socioeconomic deck will forever be stacked against we of the great unwashed. It is an exercise in futility to run for federal office, absent the support and funding of corporate personhood.

Disclaimer: none of what this tax-cut does or doesn't do, impacts me directly. But I have liittle doubt that Congress will get to me as well, sooner or later. We all need to make patriotic sacrifices for good ol' fashioned Red White and Blue Murkin Capitalism to further prosper and thrive.

There were hints of fiscal responsibility in the past. The Democrats were tax and spend, republicans wanted lower taxes and lower spending, now they don't care much about the spending part.

I'm honestly a little worried my middle class home is going to become a financial anchor. Middle class is getting gutted with or without this tax bill, but this will turn it up a notch. Seems reasonable to me that the high end of the housing market can thrive while the middle languishes.

I think the housing provisions are meant to target urban areas where housing prices are generally higher and people vote for liberals.

There were hints of fiscal responsibility in the past. The Democrats were tax and spend, republicans wanted lower taxes and lower spending, now they don't care much about the spending part.

It was borrow and spend during Junior's regime, when 100s of billions were borrowed from China to help fund the invasions and occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. I have read where the total costs of both will be $8 trillion when all is said and done. Plus the lost revenue will need to be made up somehow/somewhere, and it won't be through cutting military/defense spending. The tax-cuts to business are permanent, so to make it very difficult to reverse in the future, while tax cuts to what passes for the middle class are temporary, and implemented so that the '18 and '20 elections are more favorable to the GOP. This b/c the alleged new "jobs" created will never materialize, and the tax-cuts will placate the populace while the Republicans stall by claiming that "not enough time" has elapsed yet for jobs to be created by our benevolent big business buddies. (as seen on teevee commercials)

But if or once they have their supermajority in Congress, and gained the desired 2/3rds of states necessary to invoke Article 5 and petition for Constititutional Conventions, then we can wave buh-bye to those tax-cuts, public parks/monuments/schools, Social Security and SSD, Medicare-aid, inter and intrastate"free" ways, the arts and sciences, the EPA, FLSA, FMLA, the remainder of the middle class and our secular form of government.

P.S....have the Republicans found out yet what ever happened to nearly $10B Benjamins stacked on pallets and supposedly shipped to Iraq in '04? Have they finished looking under their sofa cushions yet?

Last edited:

P.S....have the Republicans found out yet what ever happened to nearly $10B Benjamins stacked on pallets and supposedly shipped to Iraq in '04? Have they finished looking under their sofa cushions yet?

I heard about this on Fox news, the title was "Did Hillary Clinton secretly join ISIS"

Interesting look at the tax winners and losers

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...ook-like-for-25000-middle-class-families.html

If you are middle class and take the standard deduction, you're probably getting a tax cut. If you pay a lot of state and local tax, you are probably getting a tax increase.

"the tax plan would force deep cuts to Medicare spending over the next decade."

The epicenter of when ALL of the boomers will have reached their retirement age, and the fewest will have passed on due to natural causes as yet.

Perfect timing, I must post.

Logan's Run, the legislated genocidal documentary version.

Wonder if the GOP, if still a strong majority in Congress, will try to take away my FEHB, by legally limiting it to active and retired elected federal officials, their spouses, and judges. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they do so eventually. Just have to privatize and/or outsource most other federal government employment offices.

Last edited:
Of all the damage that Trump can do/has done, this is relatively minimal. Republican presidents lower taxes on the rich and corporations, Democrats raise them. Of course the GOP has shifted from responsibility to helping the rich no matter the cost but it's cyclical. These tax cuts are also largely unpopular so it could hurt them in 2018. I'm a little more concerned about them gutting the EPA and endorsing a child molester for Senate.

Interesting look at the tax winners and losers

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...ook-like-for-25000-middle-class-families.html

If you are middle class and take the standard deduction, you're probably getting a tax cut. If you pay a lot of state and local tax, you are probably getting a tax increase.

Interesting article.

I itemize, pay high property taxes and subject to state income taxes. We are above the threshold of that chart but my guess is we will pay more in taxes in 2018 under that plan.

One thing I wish they would get rid of is the tax credit for children. It should be a deduction, not a credit.

Of all the damage that Trump can do/has done, this is relatively minimal. Republican presidents lower taxes on the rich and corporations, Democrats raise them. Of course the GOP has shifted from responsibility to helping the rich no matter the cost but it's cyclical. These tax cuts are also largely unpopular so it could hurt them in 2018. I'm a little more concerned about them gutting the EPA and endorsing a child molester for Senate.

I don't understand how the executive office can raise or lower taxes, except by prevention through veto, and even that can be overcome by enough votes in Congress. I believe in the checks and balances in government, as implemented by our Founding Fathers, but that is definitely not the case now, and Obama had only the first 2 years of 8 with his party in control during his two terms in office. His SCOTUS pick was not considered early in his last year in office either, and I can just imagine the howls of outrage from the GOP, if a future Trump pick in the same situation is ignored by Democrats.

Trump himself is not a reader of complex and lengthy documents, and his closest advisors are those who tell him what they think or better still, want him to know about pending legislation and signing bills.

Last edited:
Back