Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OTA's

manchild98

- Michael Rothstein espn staff writer

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Some thoughts and observations following the first media access of Detroit Lions' organized team activities Wednesday.

1. Kellen Moore is making moves: The fourth-year quarterback who has yet to take a regular-season NFL snap insisted every quarterback is doing a little bit of everything so far. On Wednesday, it was Moore (pictured) who came in after Matthew Stafford during quarterback rotations, not Dan Orlovsky. This could be significant because at the very least, it shows the Lions are willing to have an open competition for the slot behind Stafford this season. Even fourth quarterback Anthony Boone took snaps, which is more than last year's fourth quarterback, James Franklin. But Moore is going to end up, at worst, in a competition with Orlovsky for No. 2.

2. Some quarterback numbers: I roughly charted quarterback throws during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills, and here was what I came up with on a day where the offense had good completion rates. Stafford was 14 of 20 with a couple of drops in there. Moore was 10 of 12. Orlovsky was 8 of 11 and Boone was 2 of 3. Remember, without hitting and in many cases a pass rush these are tough to decipher, but worth noting that all the quarterbacks had at least decent rates. To be fair, I might have missed one or two passes.

3. The biggest surprise of the day was Quandre Diggs: Part of this might be due to the recoveries of Bill Bentley and Nevin Lawson from season-ending injuries in 2014, but the sixth-round pick was consistently with the first unit as the nickelback. He didn't look too out of place there, either, and has an opportunity to put some good work in before the Lions return to full strength in the secondary. One thing to note here -- Bentley was running some scout team stuff while Diggs was with the first team offense during one period, so he is clearly making a quick impression on the coaches, especially since no other draft pick worked much -- if at all -- with the first team Wednesday.

4. There were absences and multiple limited players: In referencing the above note, Ameer Abdullah likely would have received some first team work, but the running back was absent as he headed off to the Rookie Premiere in California this week. Cornerback Alex Carter, the team's third-round pick, was absent as he was finishing classes at Stanford. They were the only two Lions not in attendance. Running back Joique Bell and right tackle LaAdrian Waddle were there but did not practice. Tight end Joseph Fauria, cornerbacks Bill Bentley and Nevin Lawson and linebackers DeAndre Levy and Stephen Tulloch took part in individual drills but did not do any team work. All except Levy were coming off season-ending injuries in 2014.

5. A small skirmish: The first open OTAs saw a quick skirmish between left tackle Riley Reiff and linebacker Travis Lewis. It didn't escalate beyond some posturing before Manny Ramirez jumped in the middle to break it up, but in looking back, I don't remember seeing something even that testy during practices I watched last offseason. Not too much to read into it, but worth noting that maybe this is a more feisty bunch than last season's.

6. Eric Ebron drops again: He is committed to improving in his second season, but Ebron (pictured) once again had some issues with drops. By my count, Ebron dropped two passes -- it could have been more -- throughout the course of practice, including one on a somewhat tough throw by Stafford that hit off both of his hands while his arms were extended. He looked crisper running routes and in good shape, but it's something to keep an eye on.

7. Punt returner could be interesting: It's just one offseason practice and Abdullah was not present, but the Lions had receivers Jeremy Ross, Lance Moore and Golden Tate catching punts during the special teams period. The team also used flags instead of tagging to denote tackling to stop the play. Moore said the last time he played flag football was in high school -- and hasn't returned a punt since 2012. He hasn't done it with any regularity since 2010. Tate was a high-level returner in Seattle and Ross is the incumbent. This will continue to be something to watch once Abdullah returns next week.

I realize Tate returned punts in Seattle, but I'd prefer a non-starting WR/RB be the return guy and then use the starter only if necessary. Not saying I want Ross back there again, but someone other than Tate and Abdullah for certain. Injuries can happen on any play, I'd just prefer my important starters to only have potential for injury on a non-ST play.

I realize Tate returned punts in Seattle, but I'd prefer a non-starting WR/RB be the return guy and then use the starter only if necessary. Not saying I want Ross back there again, but someone other than Tate and Abdullah for certain. Injuries can happen on any play, I'd just prefer my important starters to only have potential for injury on a non-ST play.

Judging by last season, I'd say the coaching staff agrees with you. In no known universe is Ross a better returner than Tate. Hopefully Ross has some magic or someone unexpected unseats him.

Reid and Webster (270) bulked up nicely and looking good. Reid with the 1s. Devin Taylor more explosive per Austin.

We are more than set at nickel. Still wish we would've drafted Mathis' future replacement.

I know it was only 1 practice but if he wants more playing time Ebron needs to hang on to those passes..

I know it was only 1 practice but if he wants more playing time Ebron needs to hang on to those passes..

practice doesn't matter
value doesn't matter
you don't have to produce when youre a top 10 pick
Hes not a WR so who cares if he cant catch
It takes TEs atleast 6 years in the NFL to learn how to catch a pass

these are just some of the debates you get to enjoy when you bring up something negative about ebron or the fact mayhew picked him in the top 10. Good luck with that...

I agree. I love what i'm hearing about his dedication, but it just seems like a concentration thing.

practice doesn't matter
value doesn't matter
you don't have to produce when youre a top 10 pick
Hes not a WR so who cares if he cant catch
It takes TEs atleast 6 years in the NFL to learn how to catch a pass

these are just some of the debates you get to enjoy when you bring up something negative about ebron or the fact mayhew picked him in the top 10. Good luck with that...

Dude, you cry when guys like myself try and bait you. Now it's ok for you to do it? Lol. You're a trip lol

only difference is those are all things weve heard on this board.

No it's not. You're making it up as usual. Why do you lie so much? None of us have said any of those things. You're exaggerating big time lol

I can handle the drops as long as he's a playmaker. Last year, he didn't make a lot of plays. If he can at least change that part of him, I think we could all forgive the drops this year.

I can handle the drops as long as he's a playmaker. Last year, he didn't make a lot of plays. If he can at least change that part of him, I think we could all forgive the drops this year.

Well said.

Calvin drops balls from time to time too.....some of them important......but nobody really complains because he makes so many big plays...

I'm certainly not saying Ebron is CJ.........but the drops are usually forgiven if you make up for it. If EE actually become a MUN......I won't complain if he drops a ball from time to time.

Well said.

Calvin drops balls from time to time too.....some of them important......but nobody really complains because he makes so many big plays...

I'm certainly not saying Ebron is CJ.........but the drops are usually forgiven if you make up for it. If EE actually become a MUN......I won't complain if he drops a ball from time to time.

We don't put him in a position to make plays. He srsly ran a 1.5 yard speed out like 75% of his snaps last year lol. Lombardi needs to change that if this kid ever hopes to become anything. Then he has to hang onto the ball ofcourse...

Last edited:
Last year Calvin was pretty solid.

Out of 82 players with 48 catches or more (3 a game average), calvin was ranked 62 out of 82 for drop % (Lower ranking better). So essentially 75% of players with more than 48 catches had a higher drop percentage than him.

only 7 players had more catches and less drops than him. A few notables are:
Golden Tate, Odell Beckham Jr, and Keenan Allen only had one drop vs 77 receptions. Fitzgerald was the only player with more than 48 receptions (he had 63) and 0 drops.

Last year Calvin was pretty solid.

Out of 82 players with 48 catches or more (3 a game average), calvin was ranked 62 out of 82 for drop % (Lower ranking better). So essentially 75% of players with more than 48 catches had a higher drop percentage than him.

only 7 players had more catches and less drops than him. A few notables are:
Golden Tate, Odell Beckham Jr, and Keenan Allen only had one drop vs 77 receptions. Fitzgerald was the only player with more than 48 receptions (he had 63) and 0 drops.

If your parentheses are correct, I think you've read that wrong. If Calvin was 62 out of 82, and lower is better, that means that he had a HIGH drop rate. That means that almost 75% of equally targeted (over 48 catches) players had better drop rates than Calvin. That would actually make the opposite point, that we really do forgive Calvin (at least last year) for high drops simply because he makes big plays.

If your parentheses are correct, I think you've read that wrong. If Calvin was 62 out of 82, and lower is better, that means that he had a HIGH drop rate. That means that almost 75% of equally targeted (over 48 catches) players had better drop rates than Calvin. That would actually make the opposite point, that we really do forgive Calvin (at least last year) for high drops simply because he makes big plays.

I took the data from a site, filtered out everyone with less than 48 catches, then sorted from highest drop rate % to the lowest. Perhaps I did state it backwards, and can see the confusion, but the results are still the same, 75% were worse than CJ. Calvin was credited with 3 drops and 71 completions. 2.3% drop rate.

Worse was Sanu at 9.2%

Edit: I need to re-look at this. Drop rate was based on Targets it appears after look more closely at the data. This would give calvin a bit of a decrease in % because of how many wild ass targets he receives.

Edit 2: When looking at drop per reception Calvin ranks 52 out of 82 better than 63.4% of the individuals with more than 48 receptions. He had 1 drop per 23.7 catches.

Sanu is still the worst at 1 drop per 6.2 catches.
Tate was 8th best at at 1 drop per 49.5 catches.
Fitzgerald was best at 0 drops and 63 catches.
Keenan Allen was second at 1 drop and 77 catches.

Last edited:
I took the data from a site, filtered out everyone with less than 48 catches, then sorted from highest drop rate % to the lowest. Perhaps I did state it backwards, and can see the confusion, but the results are still the same, 75% were worse than CJ. Calvin was credited with 3 drops and 71 completions. 2.3% drop rate.

Worse was Sanu at 9.2%

Edit: I need to re-look at this. Drop rate was based on Targets it appears after look more closely at the data. This would give calvin a bit of a decrease in % because of how many wild ass targets he receives.

Edit 2: When looking at drop per reception Calvin ranks 52 out of 82 better than 63.4% of the individuals with more than 48 receptions. He had 1 drop per 23.7 catches.

Sanu is still the worst at 1 drop per 6.2 catches.
Tate was 8th best at at 1 drop per 49.5 catches.
Fitzgerald was best at 0 drops and 63 catches.
Keenan Allen was second at 1 drop and 77 catches.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Back