Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Star Wars hits a billion in 12 days

Star Trek 2 is worth watching just for Khan. Star Wars hit and miss.. IV and V are the best, the others - meh.

This question reminds me of this letter floating around about Blade Runner.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-3-26/read-philip-k-dicks-1981-letter-predicting-blade-runners-impact

There's more to science fiction than just being fantasy set in space or in the future. Science fiction tries to portray reality given future technology and tries to predict how things will change. That's the core thing that it's about. Maybe not a universally accepted definition, but I think you can argue that Star Wars is not science fiction. It has science fiction elements, but you could tell the same story as medieval fantasy and the lack of futuristic technology would not change things.

PKD was something..Great writer.

I am excited for Star wars.. I hear it is better then the crap that came out last time.. I really only liked the first and second one.. Return of the Jedi was not very good.

I am excited for Star wars.. I hear it is better then the crap that came out last time.. I really only liked the first and second one.. Return of the Jedi was not very good.

Return of the Jedi sucked.

Return of the Jedi sucked.

even as a kid, the ewoks annoyed the shit out of me. I wanted them to die and the Empire to win after that point in the movie.

but by then, the story was being driven by merchandising opportunities I think.

even as a kid, the ewoks annoyed the shit out of me.

I think I read they were supposed to be wookees (and that why they're the same word with the syllables reversed.)

Allegedly, George RR Martin drew the first wookee sketches.

This question reminds me of this letter floating around about Blade Runner.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-3-26/read-philip-k-dicks-1981-letter-predicting-blade-runners-impact

There's more to science fiction than just being fantasy set in space or in the future. Science fiction tries to portray reality given future technology and tries to predict how things will change. That's the core thing that it's about. Maybe not a universally accepted definition, but I think you can argue that Star Wars is not science fiction. It has science fiction elements, but you could tell the same story as medieval fantasy and the lack of futuristic technology would not change things.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM

That's my ex-girlfriend Rachel Bloom.

The "fuck me Ray Bradberry" shit didn't help much even though he was 90 and dying anyway, and I've always been a Bradberry fan myself.

So that song is basically one of those "3 freebie exceptions to cheating" lists gotten out of hand?

But if you pull up a movie on Netflix starring one of your exceptions, you're in trouble.

Total double standard.

So that song is basically one of those "3 freebie exceptions to cheating" lists gotten out of hand?

But if you pull up a movie on Netflix starring one of your exceptions, you're in trouble.

Total double standard.

Not sure what you mean, but I dumped Rachel because of the Bradberry thing.

Plus she's crazy.

Just saw Star Wars VII. Pretty good. A few issues, but that is common with JJ's take on classic Star movies as both Trek and Wars have some issues, but if you just go for the entertainment value they achieve that. Just be aware that under scrutiny by devout fans there will be elements that don't hold up, but otherwise pretty good. Worth seeing in theater? It is #3 on my list behind V and IV, but better than the others. Kylo Ren is an ok villain, but #3 behind Vader and Maul (who they foolishly didn't bring back in II and III...but did find life in non-movie Star Wars stories), but the back story is one of those things I can see many die hards not liking. Again, if you just see it for the entertainment value, you will like it, but if you are super critical die hard level fan, you will nit pick it apart too much. I try to just let the movies play out, but can understand why die hards tend to not like choices JJ has made to both Star franchises because he definitely misses on some of the deeper levels in both.

Just saw Star Wars VII. Pretty good. A few issues, but that is common with JJ's take on classic Star movies as both Trek and Wars have some issues, but if you just go for the entertainment value they achieve that. Just be aware that under scrutiny by devout fans there will be elements that don't hold up, but otherwise pretty good. Worth seeing in theater? It is #3 on my list behind V and IV, but better than the others. Kylo Ren is an ok villain, but #3 behind Vader and Maul (who they foolishly didn't bring back in II and III...but did find life in non-movie Star Wars stories), but the back story is one of those things I can see many die hards not liking. Again, if you just see it for the entertainment value, you will like it, but if you are super critical die hard level fan, you will nit pick it apart too much. I try to just let the movies play out, but can understand why die hards tend to not like choices JJ has made to both Star franchises because he definitely misses on some of the deeper levels in both.

I don't know many of the back story lines so I really liked it.

Back