Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Overrated movies

Inception, any James Bond movie, The Dark Knight.

Heath Ledger was fun to watch as the Joker, but I still prefer Batman Begins to any of the others in that trilogy. Much more interesting story to me to see the origin told. I know I'm in a very tiny minority with that opinion though.

Also Frozen is not in the same league as Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King in my opinion. But that's probably because I'm a late 80's early 90s kid :)

Not sure frozen is considered an all-time great.

Not sure frozen is considered an all-time great.

It's not, but it was still very well received and I heard plenty of talk that it was one of the greatest animated pictures people had seen in recent years (over Shrek, Toy Story etc). Maybe it's because I have a lot of younger cousins and nieces who all say they loved it haha. I was expecting a bit more.

It's not, but it was still very well received and I heard plenty of talk that it was one of the greatest animated pictures people had seen in recent years (over Shrek, Toy Story etc). Maybe it's because I have a lot of younger cousins and nieces who all say they loved it haha. I was expecting a bit more.

It's definitely for a younger crowd. Which is good. Too many kid movies made for young kids are more for adults it seems.

Loved American Beauty, there are very few Spacey films I don't like. I also loved Pulp Fiction, that's the only Tarantino movie I've ever seen though.

I also thought Inception was overrated, not that I hated it but it wasn't the world's greatest movie like everyone thought when it came out

I loved Adam sandler pre 2005ish, I absolutely despise his shit movies now. Longest Yard remake was his last solid movie.

Last edited:
Folks, keep in mind the OP said 'critically acclaimed' movies. I think some of the movies mentioned have sub 50% ratings from most sources. :D

Any Kevin Smith movie. Way overrated. Except Dogma. I love that movie.

I liked Clerks but I think it is age relative. I didn't like Clerks 2 quite as much and I get the feeling when Clerks 3 happens and I'm pushing 35, I won't like it one bit.

I grew up on older movies, 30's-40's-50's, but Casablanca I was underwhelmed. And I'm a fan of Bogart movies.

I also liked the Graduate.

I'm with you on Casablanca... I get that it had a bunch of famous lines, but I didn't find anything about it particularly intriguing. I think a lot of people hear it's so great, and then are afraid to go against popular opinion and say what they really think of it after they see it.

I liked Clerks but I think it is age relative. I didn't like Clerks 2 quite as much and I get the feeling when Clerks 3 happens and I'm pushing 35, I won't like it one bit.
I liked Clerks, and Mallrats was tolerable, barely. everything else Kevin Smith did was pretty fucking retarded and shitty. but this is about critically acclaimed movies, and other than Clerks, (and even that's a stretch) nothing he did was ever critically acclaimed.

my list:
every goddamn Star Wars movie
Silence of the Lambs
Donnie Darko (no idea why the hell this was so popular for a couple years)
Garden State (christ Zach Braff is irritating)
Love Actually (BLECH)
American Beauty
Crash (the movie about race in LA, not that one about freaks who have a fetish for having sex after car crashes, which was just stupid)
The French Connection
The Truman Show (I fell asleep in the theatre)
Risky Business
The Hurt Locker (dumb, dumb, dumb)

also

every movie with Seth Rogen in it (tho most aren't "critically acclaimed")

not a bad movie (though the sequels were, i thought), just way overrated in my opinion.

Fair enough. I enjoyed the sequels somewhat but replacing Jodie Foster was soooo stupid.

The TV show Hannibal is fucking amazing. If Anthony Hopkins wasn't such a good Hannibal I'd petition for the movies to be deleted forever from history and let the TV show stand as the lone representation of the books.

Holy shit. Didn't expect to see that one.

Gotta admit - that wouldn't be on my list either - Had some pretty great lines: "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

Horror taken to a new limit. Hopkins and Foster were pretty darn good in it.

Back