Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thread for adults who don't watch Star Wars or comic book movies

Michchamp

Starting a new thread for those of like mind, so my posts aren't deleted and I am not labeled a "shitposter." Anybody else with me on this? We need to stay strong, brothers.

Last time I saw a Star Wars movie was the first prequel, and only because my mom insisted on taking my brother and I to see it, and made a big fucking deal about how we were too young to see the first 3 movies in theatres.

I haven't seen a movie based on a comic book character since one of the 90's era Batman movies. I think the one with the Penguin.

I saw the most recent Star Wars sitting next to my (then 9yr old) and it was pretty awesome ...haven't seen the new one yet but did ride up the elevator on Friday with three adults who were all comparing when they had reserved tickets to see it over the weekend.

Love the original three from childhood - Star Wars, Empire and Jedi Strikes Back.

When I went to see the first "prequal" with Jar Jar Binks, I fell asleep in the theater and skipped the next two "prequals" altogether, having seen them now on cable, etc. due to having a little fella in the house.

Don't see Super Hero movies at all. Once the Batman series with Michael Keaton got played, I was done.

I've seen them all and will watch the most recent one but will wait until it comes out on video. I agree that the first 3 from the 1980's were the best but a few of the more recent ones weren't too bad.

I don't care too much for "comic book" movies but I do like the TV series Gotham.

my oldest son keeps saying he loves Star Wars.

fortunately there are like 80 different licensed "official" Star Wars cartoons or series on netflix now, so I can just pop one of those on and leave him alone.

George Lucas must have decided he needs unlimited money.

I was relieved when activists in Chicago DEMOLISHED his plan for a "Lucas Museum" on the waterfront. what a stupid idea. glad there are still some adults in the room. although not in the room. I think they had to file a lawsuit to derail the boondoggle.

For the record: the movies are perfectly fine, as far as mindless entertainment goes. the problem is all the dorks who take them further than that.

For the record: the movies are perfectly fine, as far as mindless entertainment goes. the problem is all the dorks who take them further than that.

No kidding!

Now let me get back to worrying about which high schoolers might want to play football at the same school I went to many years ago.

The Star Trek nerd-chise appears to be getting its ass kicked lately by Star Wars, and the Avengers and Justice League.

So in an effort to get back on its feet in the nerd-verse, I hear that Star Trek is going to introduce white walker zombies and dire wolf husky/wolf dogs into future cinematic installments.

Oh, and dragons too - don't forget the dragons.

And hot naked chicks with majestic tits, like the chick with the dragons.

The Star Trek nerd-chise appears to be getting its ass kicked lately by Star Wars, and the Avengers and Justice League.

So in an effort to get back on its feet in the nerd-verse, I hear that Star Trek is going to introduce white walker zombies and dire wolf husky/wolf dogs into future cinematic installments.

Oh, and dragons too - don't forget the dragons.

And hot naked chicks with majestic tits, like the chick with the dragons.

You can slap a Star Wars wrapper on a typical sci-fi action flick and it will be a great success. Star Trek is more difficult because it is supposed to be something else and CBS doesn't believe there's a market for anything that optimistic and cheesy. Allegedly, Seth McFarane wanted to make a Star Trek show that was more like The Next Generation, and that's what CBS told him. So he took his idea to FOX and called it The Orville and even big fans seem to agree that it's very much like Star Trek, but CBS is right, nerds won't let Star Trek be Star Trek anymore.

You can slap a Star Wars wrapper on a typical sci-fi action flick and it will be a great success. Star Trek is more difficult because it is supposed to be something else and CBS doesn't believe there's a market for anything that optimistic and cheesy. Allegedly, Seth McFarane wanted to make a Star Trek show that was more like The Next Generation, and that's what CBS told him. So he took his idea to FOX and called it The Orville and even big fans seem to agree that it's very much like Star Trek, but CBS is right, nerds won't let Star Trek be Star Trek anymore.

Well, nerd purists like Leonard and Sheldon and Kuthrapali and Wolowitz will...

Maybe Chuck Lorre should take over running the Star Wars franchise.

The last guy with any balls in Hollywood.

you're really mentioning Chuck Lorre a lot here lately.

is he paying you? (you'd need to disclose that, BTW).

does he realize there are like only a couple dozen dudes who post here, and none of us have much - if any -influence on public perception. I think the comparison we once had between this site and a moose lodge it pretty apt.

No kidding!

Now let me get back to worrying about which high schoolers might want to play football at the same school I went to many years ago.

the recruiting junkies are equally sad, in my opinion.

you're really mentioning Chuck Lorre a lot here lately.

is he paying you? (you'd need to disclose that, BTW).

does he realize there are like only a couple dozen dudes who post here, and none of us have much - if any -influence on public perception. I think the comparison we once had between this site and a moose lodge it pretty apt.

No, he doesn't need to pay me; he's pretty well known as it is.

I'm a fan of his shows, have been for years. I guess I just happen to be mentioning it now more than I have before for whatever reason.

Ah yes, 'The Big Bang Theory'. Or what I like to call 'Black Face for Nerds'.

Why is his book $400?

It's a limited publication for Hollywood million-ayuhs and billeeon-ayuhs to purchase for coffee table d?cor.

A person can actually read these bits of whit and witticism at the end of a number of his television shows. I haven't ever seen any of them at the end of Big Bang Theory which you've posted is a show you watch; mostly they're at the end of Two and a Half Men - Anyone can DVR the show, and read Chuck Lorre's little quips by hitting the 'pause' button - they're shown for one second.

But if you're a gargantually successful disgustingly wealthy Hollywood liberal elite, you can display the book at your home, as a way of saying to your visitors "not only am I gargantually successful and disgustingly wealthy, but I actually care about shit, and I care about the state of the world and the state of humanity too, and that shit, just like Chuck Lorre..."

I always thought of Star Trek as sci-fi for adults; Star Wars was kiddie faire. The plots of a typical Star Trek episode were a lot higher-minded and philosophical or offered political commentary that you wouldn't find in Star Wars. not much nuance to "Darth Vader" as a force of evil and Luke Skywalker as good. shit. GI Joe cartoons from the 80's had more depth than that.

Star Trek's whole "no need for money or possessions" thing probably made NBC execs and US government censors squirm. maybe that's why it was cancelled so hastily during the first run, despite being so popular, at the height of the Cold War?

It's a limited publication for Hollywood million-ayuhs and billeeon-ayuhs to purchase for coffee table d?cor.

A person can actually read these bits of whit and witticism at the end of a number of his television shows. I haven't ever seen any of them at the end of Big Bang Theory which you've posted is a show you watch; mostly they're at the end of Two and a Half Men - Anyone can DVR the show, and read Chuck Lorre's little quips by hitting the 'pause' button - they're shown for one second.

But if you're a gargantually successful disgustingly wealthy Hollywood liberal elite, you can display the book at your home, as a way of saying to your visitors "not only am I gargantually successful and disgustingly wealthy, but I actually care about shit, and I care about the state of the world and the state of humanity too, and that shit, just like Chuck Lorre..."

Have you guys ever noticed that when Bernie Sanders says the word billionaire he sort of adds an additional vowel sound that he doesn't really pronounce when he says millionaires?

"million-ayuhs and billeeon-ayuhs...".

He adds that additional long e sound.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69w_CXFR7tE

I guess it's more obvious and emphasized at some times more than others...

his Brooklyn accent comes out more when he gets himself wound up.

as far as NYC-area accents go, I never minded that one.

Long Island and Queens are an entirely different matter. nails on chalkboard to me.

his Brooklyn accent comes out more when he gets himself wound up.

as far as NYC-area accents go, I never minded that one.

Long Island and Queens are an entirely different matter. nails on chalkboard to me.

I guess he gets more wound up by billionaires than by millionaires.

Unless it's just that he's starting to wind up at millionaires so as by the time he gets to saying "billionaires" he is coasting on a full on roll.

I always thought of Star Trek as sci-fi for adults; Star Wars was kiddie faire. The plots of a typical Star Trek episode were a lot higher-minded and philosophical or offered political commentary that you wouldn't find in Star Wars. not much nuance to "Darth Vader" as a force of evil and Luke Skywalker as good. shit. GI Joe cartoons from the 80's had more depth than that.

Star Trek's whole "no need for money or possessions" thing probably made NBC execs and US government censors squirm. maybe that's why it was cancelled so hastily during the first run, despite being so popular, at the height of the Cold War?

You know, I was thinking about this post, and with it, you have truly gone somewhere no one has gone before.

You have succeeded in making Star Trek seem even nerdier than it actually really is.

You know, I was thinking about this post, and with it, you have truly gone somewhere no one has gone before.

You have succeeded in making Star Trek seem even nerdier than it actually really is.
0d97a6a425ade76656bbe1603fae1b6c.jpg

Hey: If Boldly Going Where No Man Has Gone Before is nerdy, so be it.

Back