Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan Men's Basketball Recruiting

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
Here is where you can post info on the future of the men's basketball team. Things that may be included;

1. Recruiting announcements
2. Info on commits, recuits, visits, targeted players, etc.
3. Video clips or highlights
4. Really anything recruiting related

P.S. Anyone wondering why I created this, we don't really have bball updates in the recruiting thread. That seems like it's mainly football.

Mark Donnal 2013 class - I can see this kid starting in place of GR3 at the 4 if he decides to leave school early. If not, he'd be a great guy to bring off the bench. Big guy that can rebound, play in the post, and step outside if needed. Pretty much the type of 4/5 that we need in this offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKt-niNUDag

Zak Irvin and Derrick Walton to compete in 3pt shooting contest

Two of Michigan's future players are headed to the Final Four.

Sort of.

Michigan signees Derrick Walton (Chandler Park Academy) and Zak Irvin (Hamilton Southeastern, Ind.) will take part in the 2013 American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk and 3-point Championships -- held in the Atlanta area on April 6, the Saturday of the Final Four.

The event will air at 2 p.m. from Greater Atlanta Christian School, and air live on CBS. This year's Final Four will be held in Atlanta.

Walton and Irvin -- both four-star prospects -- will both compete in the 3-point shooting competition.

The rest of the 3-point shootout roster includes: Bryce Alford -- La Cueva High School (Albuquerque, N.M.) -- New Mexico; Conner Frankamp -- North High School (Wichita, Kan.) -- Kansas; Brannen Greene -- Tift County High School (Tifton, Ga.) -- Kansas; Nick King -- East High School (Memphis, Tenn.) --Memphis; Race Parsons -- South Sevier High School (Monroe, Utah) -- Southern Utah; Matt Thomas -- Onalaska High School (Onalaska, Wis.) -- Iowa State.

Walton reminds me a lot of Burke in terms of handling the ball, but is Walton actually 6ft? He looks a little small, which could lead to problems guarding large point guards if we have Walton and Spike Albrecht at the point next year.

But he looks like a solid player who knows how to find the open man and has a pretty good-looking shot.

Mark Donnal 2013 class - I can see this kid starting in place of GR3 at the 4 if he decides to leave school early. If not, he'd be a great guy to bring off the bench. Big guy that can rebound, play in the post, and step outside if needed. Pretty much the type of 4/5 that we need in this offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKt-niNUDag

Looks like he has pretty good potential, but I think he needs to bulk up a bit to play down low in the Big Ten. Looks like he can get up and ESPN says he has good hands and feet, which is always key for big men. Should be a solid player.

Update on the recruiting rankings of the 2013 commits. ESPN, Rivals and 247 have recently updated theirs, I'm assuming these would be the final #'s?

ESPN
Irvin - 5*, #22
Walton - 4*, #30
Donnal - 4*, #89

Rivals
Irvin - 5*, #24
Walton - 4*, #37
Donnal - 4*, #111

Scout
Walton - 4*, #42
Irvin - 4*, #49
Donnal - 4*, #95

Irvin - 4*, #35
Walton - 4*, #67
Donnal - 3*, #149

Update on the recruiting rankings of the 2013 commits. ESPN, Rivals and 247 have recently updated theirs, I'm assuming these would be the final #'s?

ESPN
Irvin - 5*, #22
Walton - 4*, #30
Donnal - 4*, #89

Rivals
Irvin - 5*, #24
Walton - 4*, #37
Donnal - 4*, #111

Scout
Walton - 4*, #42
Irvin - 4*, #49
Donnal - 4*, #95

Irvin - 4*, #35
Walton - 4*, #67
Donnal - 3*, #149

As crazy as it sounds, and it looks kind of convenient for me to say so, but isn't ESPN considered the best around at ranking basketball recruits? This is what I've gathered around the net anyway.

How many 5 stars do they have? You'd think 30 would be awful close to 5 star status.

As crazy as it sounds, and it looks kind of convenient for me to say so, but isn't ESPN considered the best around at ranking basketball recruits? This is what I've gathered around the net anyway.

How many 5 stars do they have? You'd think 30 would be awful close to 5 star status.

Zak Irvin is the last 5 star on ESPN. Ranked #22 with a scout grade of 91.

Walton has a scout grade of 89 which is tied with the #23 ranked recruit.

Last edited:

That seems to be the general feeling these days.

How nice is it to bring in two consensus top 50 recruits and not have to rely on them to lead the team right out of the gate. That was a nice luxury to have this year with Robinson and McGary, and should be again next year.

Walton reminds me a lot of Burke in terms of handling the ball, but is Walton actually 6ft? He looks a little small, which could lead to problems guarding large point guards if we have Walton and Spike Albrecht at the point next year.

But he looks like a solid player who knows how to find the open man and has a pretty good-looking shot.

Burke had the same issue of being small, but was an amazing on ball defender. That is hard to come by for a guy his size though. So his size will be a factor, but at the same time, bigger point guards will have a tough time staying on Walton. True point guards like him are hard to come by.

did you guys recently offer Jaylen Johnson? I thought he didn't have an offer from Michigan but some sites are showing him with an offer now.

Id bet you do offer him now that looney trimmed his list. You guys lose morgan and likely mitch. I like Johnson but I think hed lean towards you guys if offered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Devin Booker lists Michigan in his top 5 along with MSU.

"Top five- Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan St. & Missouri," Booker tweeted. "No order."

Damn, I thought things would work out with Trevon Bluiett after we dodged a bullet and Butler didn't hire Jordan as their coach, but it looks like another coaching hire made the difference as he's following his old high school coach to UCLA.

Michigan did just offer James Blackmon, a recent IU decommit, as he visited over the weekend. He's yet another guy UM is targeting out of the state of Indiana and plays on the Spiece AAU team. A 6'3" guard that's top 50 across the board...looks like Kentucky will be tough to beat here.

http://www.umhoops.com/2013/09/01/blackmon-michigan-a-place-that-i-can-see-myself-at/

Back