Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

i need some new beats

Michchamp

I'm tired of everything on my ipod . need to mix it up. can anyone recommend some new shit?

I listen to rock, rap, hip hop, funk, soul, motown, sometimes jazz, pop, blues, electronic stuff... basically everything except country or christian rock.

I'm open minded... it just has to be good, and something I haven't heard before.

I listen to rock, rap, hip hop, funk, soul, motown, sometimes jazz, pop, blues, electronic stuff... basically everything except country or christian rock.

I'm open minded... it just has to be good, and something I haven't heard before.

For Jazz,
Anything Miles, early, to when he had his quartet, quintet,
Anything Coltrane, Impressions,
Try Sonny Rollins, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Art Tatum, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Herbie Hancock, Art Blakey, Errol Garner, Wynton Kelly, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Ron Carter, Elvin Jones, Charles Mingus.

Blues, I listen to Muddy, Pinetop Perkins, Howlin Wolf, Big Mama, Little Walter, Tampa Red, Ma Rainey, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Otis Spann, Albert King, James Cotton, Hubert Sumlin, Otis Rush, Albert Collins, Willie Dixon, B.B. Sonny Boy Williamson,

Lots of the old Big Band like Harry James, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey,
Fletcher Henderson, Red Allen, Cootie Williams, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Roy Eldridge, Johnny Hodges,
Some brilliant sideman with the band leaders,
and Frank Zappa.

Last edited:
For Jazz,
Anything Miles, early, to when he had his quartet, quintet,
Anything Coltrane, Impressions,
Try Sonny Rollins, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Art Tatum, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Herbie Hancock, Art Blakey, Errol Garner, Wynton Kelly, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Ron Carter, Elvin Jones, Charles Mingus.

Blues, I listen to Muddy, Pinetop Perkins, Howlin Wolf, Big Mama, Little Walter, Tampa Red, Ma Rainey, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Otis Spann, Albert King, James Cotton, Hubert Sumlin, Otis Rush, Albert Collins, Willie Dixon, B.B. Sonny Boy Williamson,

Lots of the old Big Band like Harry James, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey,
Fletcher Henderson, Red Allen, Cootie Williams, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Roy Eldridge, Johnny Hodges,
Some brilliant sideman with the band leaders,
and Frank Zappa.

thanks. I've got some albums by some of those guys (jazz & blues). I'd like to check out Albert King and Howlin Wolf. Can you recommend some albums? I'd rather not just buy their greatest hits.

London Howlin Wolf Sessions,

Albert's New Orleans Heat
Most all have certain songs that are their tops and favorites of the fans. Wolf with Smokestack Lightning, Killing Floor, Red Rooster, Built for Comfort,
Albert Born Under a bad Sign, Crosscut Saw, I'll Play the Blues for You.
Also try anything Buddy Guy, Junior Wells,

Myself a Music aficionado, is why I did the musicians birthday thread.

Last edited:
We have a publicly funded jazz radio station in Denver (no commercials) that plays a lot of the older, big band stuff - that's always on in the house.

I've been into reggae and ska for some reason lately. I think it keeps me mellow.

We have a publicly funded jazz radio station in Denver (no commercials) that plays a lot of the older, big band stuff - that's always on in the house.

I've been into reggae and ska for some reason lately. I think it keeps me mellow.

My earliest recollection of music was in fact Harry James. Dad + Mom had all those big band albums on the old 78's. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5.

I broke out Vince Guaraldi for christmas music. I couldn't stand the local FM christmas music station the wife kept putting on. it really got on my nerves.

growing up my dad had a couple of his albums, and some from Dave Brubeck. In college I got Birth of the Cool and Coltrane's Blue album. I'm not a huge jazz/big band fan, but I do like it, especially if I need something on while thinking.

I think I mentioned it a year or two ago, but I really like the Goat Rodeo Sessions. It lives somewhere between classical and bluegress, specifically, Yo-Yo Ma and bluegrass. When I drive between North Carolina and Michigan there are two songs that are always a part of the drive. Maybe an hour into the drive I play Road Trippin' by RHCP and then I'm usually in the Blue Ridge Mountains at sunset and I have to play this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-31e8Nlujw

At my boxing gym, we have this one trainer, he's a black dude, and he always puts this urban hip hop satellite channel on.

Every other line in everything that's played, it seems to me anyway, is "motha fuckin' niggah" this and "motha fuckin' niggah" that.

So if you wanna listen to some jams that are about motha fuckin' niggahs, let me know, and I'll get the satellite station number for that.

I think I mentioned it a year or two ago, but I really like the Goat Rodeo Sessions. It lives somewhere between classical and bluegress, specifically, Yo-Yo Ma and bluegrass. When I drive between North Carolina and Michigan there are two songs that are always a part of the drive. Maybe an hour into the drive I play Road Trippin' by RHCP and then I'm usually in the Blue Ridge Mountains at sunset and I have to play this:...

I can't drive around Chicago listening to bluegrass. A re you crazy? people will point and laugh, and say "Hey, fella, are you lost or somethin? Ya hick."

At my boxing gym, we have this one trainer, he's a black dude, and he always puts this urban hip hop satellite channel on.

Every other line in everything that's played, it seems to me anyway, is "motha fuckin' niggah" this and "motha fuckin' niggah" that.

So if you wanna listen to some jams that are about motha fuckin' niggahs, let me know, and I'll get the satellite station number for that.
that sounds good - I need some new hip hop to listen to - but I don't have satellite radio.

I can't drive around Chicago listening to bluegrass. A re you crazy? people will point and laugh, and say "Hey, fella, are you lost or somethin? Ya hick."

It's got a lot of bluegrass to it, but it's not bluegrass. Besides, you shouldn't worry about what the idiots say. When people hear you listening this this, no matter what they say, they will know you have a sophisticated sense of music superior to their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFFchAcMVFI

Back