Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Favorite writers / directors

dannydiggler

Martin Scorsese
Joel and Ethan Coen
Quentin Tarintino
Stanley Kubrick
Terry Gilliam
Wes Anderson
Charlie Kaufman ( the meta bastard )
Oliver Stone
George Lucas
Spike Jonze
Paul Thomas Anderson
Sam Mendes ( Only bc of American Beauty )
Andrew Niccol
Danny Boyle
Tony Kaye
Ridley Scott
Wachowski brothers
Dan Harmon

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]Martin Scorsese
Joel and Ethan Coen
Quentin Tarintino
Stanley Kubrick
Terry Gilliam
Wes Anderson
Oliver Stone
George Lucas
Spike Jonze
Paul Thomas Anderson
Andrew Niccol
Danny Boyle
Tony Kaye
Ridley Scott
Wachowski brothers
Dan Harmon

Great list.... All I can think to add is...
Darren Aronofsky

Aronofsky's film his has been attached too. as either a director of producer and writer.

Filmography

1998 Pi
2000 Requiem for a Dream
2002 Below
2006 The Fountain
2008 The Wrestler
2010 Black Swan
2010 The Fighter
2012 Hobgoblin

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]Martin Scorsese
Joel and Ethan Coen
Quentin Tarintino
Stanley Kubrick
Terry Gilliam
Wes Anderson
Oliver Stone
George Lucas
Spike Jonze
Paul Thomas Anderson
Andrew Niccol
Danny Boyle
Tony Kaye
Ridley Scott
Wachowski brothers
Dan Harmon
I'd probably put my favorites as the Coen Brothers, Clint Eastwood and Francis Ford Coppola. I tend to really like just about everything they are involved in producing/directing.

Martin Scorsese
Joel and Ethan Coen
Quentin Tarintino
Charlie Kaufman
Oliver Stone
Spike Jonze
Darren Aronofsky
Paul Thomas Anderson

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Aronofsky's film his has been attached too. as either a director of producer and writer.

Filmography

1998 Pi
2000 Requiem for a Dream
2002 Below
2006 The Fountain
2008 The Wrestler
2010 Black Swan
2010 The Fighter
2012 Hobgoblin

I thought The Fountain was ok, but didn't like The Wrestler nearly as much as everyone else. The Fighter was very good, but I'm not as excited about his movies as I was after the first two. Haven't seen Black Swan yet...quick review?

DR said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Aronofsky's film his has been attached too. as either a director of producer and writer.

Filmography

1998 Pi
2000 Requiem for a Dream
2002 Below
2006 The Fountain
2008 The Wrestler
2010 Black Swan
2010 The Fighter
2012 Hobgoblin

I thought The Fountain was ok, but didn't like The Wrestler nearly as much as everyone else. The Fighter was very good, but I'm not as excited about his movies as I was after the first two. Haven't seen Black Swan yet...quick review?

Well I have to say I liked them all. Even the love story 'The Fountain.
I thought the wrestler was really good too.. I agree his first 2 were fantastic.. Requiem for a dream is a great say no to drugs movie. Have every young kid watch it and maybe we would have a few kids staying away from drugs Ellyn Burnstyn and Jennifer Connolly were fantastic with EB getting nominated as she should have... I have to say I have skipped Black Swan for some reason... I have had it at home through netflix and just never watched it.. My wife and daughter did and they both liked it although as with DA they said it was really a dark movie...

I know you will all disagree with me but I don't like Requiem for a dream.. Very overrated imo. The characters aren't well developed. The visual effects were incredibly cheesy.It was overdone to the point that it was painful to watch. An art film for 15 year olds, with a lack of taste.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]I know you will all disagree with me but I don't like Requiem for a dream.. Very overrated imo. The characters aren't well developed. The visual effects were incredibly cheesy.It was overdone to the point that it was painful to watch. An art film for 15 year olds, with a lack of taste.

Yeah I disagree with you.. You are way off... The characters were developed perfectly But what are we going to do. Just a difference of opinion probably due to our ages. There was a reason that critics liked it and it had some awards and nominations... It was that good.. You just missed it..That move was suppose to be painful.. That was the point. Do drugs and sometimes bad things can happen.... Plus were not just talking about recreation drugs.. The Movie was hitting prescription diet pills too. This movie is a hard look at drugs.. Oh well move...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800361191/awards

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/requiem_for_a_dream/

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2001/12/requiem/

http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/top-ten-drug-movies.asp

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]I know you will all disagree with me but I don't like Requiem for a dream.. Very overrated imo. The characters aren't well developed. The visual effects were incredibly cheesy.It was overdone to the point that it was painful to watch. An art film for 15 year olds, with a lack of taste.

I disagree with you too, but I think we can all agree on the brilliance of one thing....

"Ass on Ass!!"

I don't think I missed anything and am spot on.. Painful in terms of it trying to be so edgy, dark and is incredibly pretentious. Okay... I get it...They never get any pleasure out of their drug of choice.. There

I'll add Brian Depalma just for giving me Scarface.

Beez said:

I never got into Scarface like other people, but I loved Untouchables, which he directed.

DR said:
Beez said:

I never got into Scarface like other people, but I loved Untouchables, which he directed.

When I was younger I thought it was the most boring, drawn out movie ever and was just loved by wannabe thugs and Mexicans. Now I realize how great it really is and appreciate it........but the wannabe thug and mexican thing still goes. I think you're required to like it even if you don't.

I don't really like Aronofsky's movies. Requiem was okay, but I made the mistake of renting "Pi." granted, it was a low budget, indie flick, but the plot, dialog, and filming were all so retarded and irritating I refuse to ever see any of his movies again. I swear, just watching that movie gave me a headache.

I liked Clerks, but everything else by Kevin Smith is idiotic, and he's such a putz, I just can't stand him. he needs to stop making movies, or even appearing in commentary shows on VH1.

Here are my fav directors/writers, basically anyone that made one of my favorite movies of all time, and wasn't otherwise a one-hit wonder, or a sellout:
Francis Coppola
Ingmar Bergman
Federico Fellini
Woody Allen
Stanley Kubrick
The Coen Brothers
Terry Gilliam
Akira Kurosawa
Wes Anderson

Honorable Mentions:
Martin Scorsese
Oliver Stone
Quentin Tarantino
Brian DePalma

The original Clerks dialogue was genius and is the only reason I will defend Kevin Smith. Chasing Amy isn't like the other Kevin Smith movies, but it just isn't very good to me. Everything else is much too cartoonish..

MichChamp02 said:
I don't really like Aronofsky's movies. Requiem was okay, but I made the mistake of renting "Pi." granted, it was a low budget, indie flick, but the plot, dialog, and filming were all so retarded and irritating I refuse to ever see any of his movies again. I swear, just watching that movie gave me a headache.....

Pretty sure that was the point, as headaches were central to the story. My girlfriend at the time who suffers from migraine headaches said that movie was the closest representation of what a migraine feels like that she's ever experienced. She hated the movie, of course.

My favorite comedy writer is a chick. I subscribe to the adage, "If you don't have the willy, you don't get the silly" but Jennifer Crittenden wrote some of my favorite episodes of Seinfeld, the Simpsons (early 90s), and Arrested Development pretty much my holy trinity. So I guess she breaks the mold, but whenever I see her get the credit I think the male writers slapped her name on the finished product so there's that.

Back