Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Countdown To Decades TV channel

Shows I watched as a kid I am sure I am missing some.. I am dumb what channel is it on?
Monkey's...............................LOL

They were known as the Monkees, actually, and I recall how POed most of my grade-school female classmates became when the Monkees music-comedy series finally got the axe.

Yeah, how about "Branded" with the late actor Chuck Connors (more famous as the earlier "Rifleman" whose iconic image should be displayed by the open-carry fanatics of present-day).

Branded was a short-lived Sunday night primetime series of the mid 60s where the opening scene showed ex-Captain Jason McCord getting drummed out of the US Calvary for alleged cowardice. I always got a kick out of watching him get his bars and buttons ripped off his uniform and his hat yanked off and stomped on before his saber is snapped in half over his commander's knee.

Last edited:
KAWDUP/Paul,

Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Big Valley, Maverick, + Virginian are on MeTV. along with Rawhide and Wanted Dead or Alive.
So is Andy Griffith, loved Otis the drunk, and Ernest T. Bass of the Darlings aka Howie Morris.

Even as a kid watching my mother the car, I thought it sucked.

Dragnet with Jack Webb and the guy who was on Mash are on, the original partner to Jack Webb was Ben Alexander.
and the original Hawaii 5 - 0 Mannix , The Saint, and Mission Impossible are also on one of those oldies channels now.

Yeah, Car 54 was great, Joe E. Ross was also on the Phil Silver Show as Sgt. Rupert Ritzik, spelling.

I'm sure, Beaver, Petticoat Junction and Greenacres are also on, some of these shows might be on late night or very early mornings.
Mr. Ed, "Oh Wilbur"! Har!!

Danger Man and also either before or after Secret Agent Man was good with Patrick McGoohan a great British actor. He was the guy on the show back in iirc 1967 called
The Prisoner. He was Number 6, a secret agent who wanted to retire and they wouldn' let him, took him away to some island. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061287/?ref_=nv_sr_1
In fact, McGoohan was first asked to be James Bond, but he turned them down and they went with Sean Connery.

LOL - Thanks for the info - I didn't say I wanted to watch them again, although I really did like Maverick - maybe I will check that out. :*)

For My Mother the Car, I thought the idea was pretty stupid, but that doesn't mean I didn't watch it. Being stupid was never the applied criteria for which shows were watched - see Gilligan's Island above. Batman was a regular staple at our house, as was a litany of animated crap like Touch? Turtle and Dum Dum, Snagglepuss, and Magilla Gorilla - bastions of intelligent TV watching.

Dumbest TV series of that era was Captain Underpants and another very similar whose title I can't recall presently ..but he ate big round power pills or something. Another was "Its About Time" starring Imogene Coca as a cavewoman who along with her cavemates, interacted with a pair of astronauts who had the misfortune to crash-land in the pre-historic era.

Edit: the other series was titled Mr. Terrific..thx to Google..haha!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Terrific_(TV_series)

Last edited:
Dumbest TV series of that era was Captain Underpants and another very similar whose title I can't recall presently ..but he ate big round power pills or something. Another was "Its About Time" starring Imogene Coca as a cavewoman who along with her cavemates, interacted with astronauts who had the misfortune to crash-land in the pre-historic era.

this seems legit:
9d18228c1f3b022eb46777ef7fdeea5c.jpg

man, the 70's were cool.

we already have a bunch of these channels, at least in Chicago. CBS is channel 2, and there's a 2.1 that features lots of old reruns. We ditched cable for a Roku + netflix & got a digital antenna, so our TV experience is a lot different.

There are like a half-dozen channels with goofy names "MeTV" "MeToo" "TheU" etc. and flipping through them is like being transported back a couple decades. I don't know if it's because I was born in 1980, but all the trash TV from the early 60's to the 70's is vaguely comforting. Reminds me of the older generations of my family that worked easy (or at least mindless) jobs, then came home, ate dinner, and sat in front of the tube until bed time. Then after retirement, sat in front of the TV a lot more. I don't think any of them worried about anything... SS payments being more than enough to provide for all that.

If I want to have something on in the background, I usually ignore these channels unless The Twilight Zone, or Star Trek is on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember "My Mother The Car"... but only because I learned about it in this thread (post #66).

so you don't have to read that whole thread: Jerry Van Dyke turned down the role of Gilligan in Gilligan's Island to star in "My Mother The Car"

Dunno about mindless jobs, since my first real career-worthy office job required me to maintain ~30 4-drawer metal file cabinets (pre-mainframe computer era). They were the equivalent of my "physical memory" and my keyboard was pens/pencils/fingers +an electronic typewriter & my "CPU" (my brain) and rotary-dial telephone/interoffice envelopes (communications)

Last edited:
sorry, didnt mean to come off quite that way. the particular family members i was thinking of worked hard, but jobs they really didnt have to think much about... cashier for meat market in hamtramck, assembly line worker for chrysler, etc. good people but really made a conscious effort to avoid thinking too hard about the world around them, and never really had to. and i remember them watching a lot of these shows

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a simpler time for sure...one family color TV with perhaps a small portable B&W for the kids' room, one family AM/FM radio with a couple of small transistor radios for "portability". Of course there also was the kitchen rotary-dial wall telephone, and maybe another "princess phone" in the teen-daughter(s) bedroom..that was only if the family was @ least of white-collar means.

No microwave ovens, (yet) which I still consider them being one of most useful and labor-saving home gadgets ever conceived.

It certainly was a much cheaper lifestyle, which didn't require TWO (mom & pop) wage earners to remain middle-class....unlike nowadays.

Last edited:
Not trying to dis these aged TV programs (yeah I am...hee-hee!!) But I kinda resent how they are being pimped as something they aren't...which is somehow being bingeable and relevant. There is @ least one generation alive now that has never seen these series in reruns, nvm in primetime, but g/l prying their fingers and eyes away from their smartphones long enough to even watch one episode undistracted, much less an entire series.

Last edited:
Back