Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Letterman's final show

I looked it up... Late Night with David Letterman premiered Feb. 1, 1982. He surpassed Johnny Carson's record of 30 years a couple years ago.

However, the host of the longest running show is Rabi Lamichhane, a Nepalese-American who hosted a show for 62 hours straight:

"Lamichhane began the show on Thursday, aiming to clear up what he said was a misunderstanding over the birthplace of Buddha."

That's serious business.

Seems like he was more trying to break the Guinness book record rather than actually trying to clear some misunderstanding up.

Is the guy actually a Buddhist? Because if he is, trying to break the Guinness book record seems to be like a pretty silly undertaking.

Ben Folds is awesome live, you're making a good choice.

I misread the date. Wrong month. The Ben Folds thing is done (and it was cool, though it wasn't Ben Folds live...I mean, the bass player from Ben Folds Five was there, but that's not what you mean.) So I think I will get to see Letterman after all.

so I planned to stay up to watch this, I really did. But over the last week, our son has woken up at 1 AM screaming for hours on end EVERY NIGHT for NO REASON. I think we finally broke him of the habit Tuesday night, since last night he slept well without waking up.

...but that meant I was exhausted all Wednesday. I was sound asleep at 9:30 PM central, well shy of 11:00 PM central, when Letterman's final show aired.

so I planned to stay up to watch this, I really did. But over the last week, our son has woken up at 1 AM screaming for hours on end EVERY NIGHT for NO REASON. I think we finally broke him of the habit Tuesday night, since last night he slept well without waking up.

...but that meant I was exhausted all Wednesday. I was sound asleep at 9:30 PM central, well shy of 11:00 PM central, when Letterman's final show aired.

I saw a video of a parent with this problem. He had a closet full of wigs and masks and sunglasses and such. If he went in looking like himself and told the kid to lay down and be quiet, it didn't work. But if he disguised himself and said go to bed, the kid got a shocked look on his face and obeyed. Might have scarred him for life, but it worked.

Letterman was good. Very sentimental with clips from over the years.

I saw a video of a parent with this problem. He had a closet full of wigs and masks and sunglasses and such. If he went in looking like himself and told the kid to lay down and be quiet, it didn't work. But if he disguised himself and said go to bed, the kid got a shocked look on his face and obeyed. Might have scarred him for life, but it worked.

Letterman was good. Very sentimental with clips from over the years.

eh, that sounds extreme.

he seems to be going through a troubled sleep phase; every couple months he stops sleeping through the night and waking up, screaming for us, etc. this was just a particularly rough one. it's called "sleep regression" apparently, and it's all over those fucking parenting/mommy blogs, but I can't tell if it's a real thing.

Tuesday night we were completely exhausted after over a week of this crap. I closed all the doors and cranked the fan in our room for white noise and we let him scream himself to sleep.

No problems sleeping last night.

Willpower. Go Blue.

I'm watching it on the DVR right now.

I was surprised to see President Ford open the show; I thought he had died.

Well it's the day after the first day and I still haven't started thinking about a late night without Dave any less.

We watched it and liked it. Well done montage and sincere. Always liked letterman far more than Leno and think he did a lot for the crew now like Coman, Fallon, etc. and it was proven by magic Johnson, Chevy chase & Joan rivers that not just anyone could do late night.

That said, like many, I can't recall the last time we planned to watch letterman until the finale

Favorite Letterman Moments....
Andy Kaufman vs. Jerry Lawler
Madonna goes crazy and gets into an insult-off with Dave (and loses badly)
REM's first performance
Dave's feud with Bryant Gumby
Joaquin Phoenix

What about the Crispin Glover indecent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYjdKbMT_c

Wow...had never seen that before. That was interesting.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the back story:

Late Night appearance[edit]
Glover appeared on Late Night with David Letterman on July 28, 1987, to promote the movie River's Edge, in which he starred.[8] Unbeknownst to Letterman and the audience, Glover appeared in character as "Rubin", from a then-unreleased movie Rubin and Ed, wearing platform shoes and a wig. Rather than a conventional interview, Glover staged an Andy Kaufman-like prank. After being goaded by a woman in the audience (who some argue had been planted),[9] Glover stated that he "knew that this was gonna happen" and that "the press, they can do things, they can twist things around". After challenging Letterman to an arm-wrestling match, Glover delivered an impromptu karate kick a few feet from Letterman while stating, "I'm strong... I can kick!"[10] Letterman then abruptly ended the segment by walking off stage, saying "I'm going to check on the Top 10", as the program cut to commercial.

The subsequent confusion and controversy surrounding his appearance was compounded by the fact that Rubin and Ed was not actually released until 1991; however, the movie had been in development since before Back to the Future?Crispin had actually already devised Rubin's "look" by 1985.[11] Almost no one, apparently including Letterman, understood what Glover was doing and the interview became the hallmark of the "weird" TV guest.

Glover returned to the Letterman show twice after that, the first about a month later, and then again almost 3 years after where he participated in a more nearly standard interview, but made it questionable whether he was ever on the show before and used a variety of delay tactics explaining the incident; he did say something about it being "an interesting thing." Glover then appeared two years later promoting a record album. When again asked about his first appearance, Glover launched into a long story, mentioning meeting a fellow resembling himself named Rubin, and needing to appear on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson simultaneous to his appearance with Letterman. Here Letterman cut him off to talk about the album Glover was promoting, as the time allotted for the interview was more than halfway over. Glover has subsequently refused to go into detail about the reasons for his behavior on the show, other than to mention that he's flattered that fans are still speculating on the performance more than twenty years later.[12] Glover has also mentioned that he prefers there to be an "air of mystery" about the appearance. In an interview in 2011, Back to the Future co-star Michael J. Fox talked about the incident with Letterman, saying Crispin isn't crazy, just excitable.

Back