Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preferred Genre

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
What's your favorite genre of music?

Early 90's Alternative and Rap
Classic Rock
some Indie
Good new music
Radiohead

plenty of other stuff, but I have no idea how to classify it

I agree with your first choice. I was all about smashing pumpkins, silverchair, nirvana, 2pac, biggie, dmx, etc.

Right now it's all about linkin park, chevelle, slipknot, and old metallica. I really hate today's rap though, awful, just awful.

You can find some good rap these days if you look hard, but the majority of it doesn't sound right to my ears either.

Lil Wayne is probably the worst. It's like he's not even rapping. It's what my dad would have said 15 years ago "He's just talking" but he also sounds wasted half the time. Props to him for selling music without really trying.

70's bubba's.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Alice Cooper
Bad Company
ETC.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]70's bubba's.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Alice Cooper
Bad Company
ETC.

I was never into those bands until I got older. My dad had hundreds of cassettes (wow) of bands from the late 60's, 70's and early 80's and I never cared. But now I wish I had. Led Zeppelin especially.

Also a band that is kind of a throwback is Wolfmother. They're modern, but could easily fit into that era.

Yeah, I can see that with Wolfmother.

The Secret Machines are another current band that has a throwback feel. Especially their first one, Now Here is Nowhere. Awesome album.

Tame Impala is another new band you guys might enjoy. Maybe more of a late 60's than 70's sound, but it's good. If you can handle tons of reverb, that is.

I just sort of stumbled on this and other links scrolling down the main page.
Most of you know I am your dads or grandpas age compared to many here.
My favorite music in my teens was radio stuff top 40, and Soul Music, Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Sam and Dave, Jr. Walker, and many more
Around the age of 20 found out about my favorite guitarist Frank Zappa.
I went to every concert he played in and around boston for over 20 years.
Hendrix, CSNY, Stones, early Metal, Santana, Pink Floyd,
and through Zappa's music, I found two more types of music I enjoy; Jazz and Blues.
Miles Davis, Coltrane, Dolphy, Mingus, Monk, and other Jazz Giants
Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, Albert Collins, Pinetop Perkins, B.B. King, and all the rest of the Blues Legends.
I also like Big Bands, like Harry James, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Gene Krupa, Louis Jordan, of course Sinatra, and many more.

You listed a whole lot of good stuff KC.

These new bands and the names, some are very strange.

I've never given Zappa a shot, which is weird cause it seems like he might have been up my alley. Maybe I'll have to fix that. Any recommendations on where to start?

Quite a wide range of music there KC.

I always liked music, from an early age, Dad was a musician, well part time from his regular job, and had many records, the old "78"s, then the 33's, so I had a appreciation for different types at a very young age.
Zappa just played so many different styles, rock, jazz, avant garde, fusion, blues, later on he went the political satire, so depending on your favorite types, I could most likely lead you to those albums.

My tastes would probably fit in the best with rock/avant garde, but if there's something essential that doesn't fall into that category don't be afraid to mention it.

DR said:
My tastes would probably fit in the best with rock/avant garde, but if there's something essential that doesn't fall into that category don't be afraid to mention it.

so many albums, let me think....
Hot Rats, Absolutely Free, Roxy and Elsewhere, Just another Band from LA, Overnight Sensation,
try those, I don't know how/if you guys go online and download music or how these days, ipod ipad, ?
everything I have is old records, cassette tapes, and cd's.

Chevelle IMPO is the best...love their sounds the lyrics are awesome with their play on words

staegrac said:
Chevelle IMPO is the best...love their sounds the lyrics are awesome with their play on words

yeah absolutely. The newest linkin park album is solid too. There have been complaints from hardcore fans, but I think it's perfect. I'm also a huge fan of Slipknot and their sister band Stonesour. Corey Taylor is a genius.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
staegrac said:

yeah absolutely. The newest linkin park album is solid too. There have been complaints from hardcore fans, but I think it's perfect. I'm also a huge fan of Slipknot and their sister band Stonesour. Corey Taylor is a genius.

I have heard rumors of a new chevelle album due this fall sometime...wish I could confirm this tho (I think it was wikipedia with the info I found), but I hope it is true

I think their albums 2, 3, and 4 are the best

Back