Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Your favorite Concert.

biggunsbob

I did not see very many shows at all like the rest of you but I did see some good performances.

1. Bruce Springsteen... Cobo Hall early 1980's.. I knew a friend who Managed security and I was lucky enough to get hired for both shows.. One show Bruce gave me and another guy a beer from his golf cart.. He sure puts on a great show. (Plus I got paid for it)

2. Yes.... Las Vegas in the late 80's early 90's.. They were still playing stuff from 90125 and Big Generator, plus a few older tunes.. It was a great show.

3. B-52's.... with a warm-up band of the Violent Femmes.... mid 1990's.. Holy crap both bands got a standing ovation. Weather you like the music or not the show and music were spectacular. (Plus my wife was a huge B-52 fan)

4. Ac/DC 1980..... Long Beach.. My graduation year. (For some reason I can remember this concert and not the other years and we were pretty lit up. Moving a now long lost friend out to USC and holy heaven it was Halter top city. Probably really number one but with Bon Scott dead Johnson took time to get use too.. Still what a show.

5. Blue Oyster Cult. High school 1977-80
(Don't Fear) The Reaper LOL

Ok this section is a special shout out to a bar band. After My high school years which were at Haslett we went to bars around the MSU campus and there was this one band that put on a really fantastic
show.

'Lets talk about Girls'.

Man they were fun..

Beach Boys - Like 4 or 5 years ago they were in Michigan.

AC/DC - Went to this one a long time ago can't remeber what year

I've been to a lot ore but these 2 were the besti've been to

at the old boston garden, Crosby, Still, Nash, and Young,
double concert 1969ish Moody Blues and original Steve Miller Band.
April 1970 same venue, Jimi Hendrix was Unbelievable,
and Rolling Stones maybe 1972.
any Zappa concert, Frank played the smaller concert halls, so many great musicians got their start with FZ.
Captain Beefheart at the Paradise and Music Hall mid 70's.
right after his Clearspot album came out, he of the 8 octave voice.
Elvin Jones who was one of Coltranes drummers. old man at the time but still could play.
Sonny Rollins tenor sax.
Weepin Willie harmonica player supreme, and Pinetop Perkins piano man late of the Muddy Waters Band.
Paul Butterfield Blues Band long time ago.
had a blast at all of them.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]at the old boston garden, Crosby, Still, Nash, and Young,
double concert 1969ish Moody Blues and original Steve Miller Band.
April 1970 same venue, Jimi Hendrix was Unbelievable,
and Rolling Stones maybe 1972.
any Zappa concert, Frank played the smaller concert halls, so many great musicians got their start with FZ.
Captain Beefheart at the Paradise and Music Hall mid 70's.
right after his Clearspot album came out, he of the 8 octave voice.
Elvin Jones who was one of Coltranes drummers. old man at the time but still could play.
Sonny Rollins tenor sax.
Weepin Willie harmonica player supreme, and Pinetop Perkins piano man late of the Muddy Waters Band.
Paul Butterfield Blues Band long time ago.
had a blast at all of them.

ha, wow, I can't compete with those.

my list:

James Brown at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, 2000

LCD Soundsystem's farewell concert at Madison Square Garden earlier this year

Page/Plant at the Palace in 1998 (or 1999 I think)

Beck at UIC Pavillion in 2007

Clyde Stubblefield (the Funky Drummer)'s band in Madison, WI last year.

Henry Rollins' spoken word show was pretty entertaining. I saw him last year.

I have seen Springsteen and U2 a handful of times and they have been my favorite shows.
Everytime I have seen Josh Ritter play he has been great.
Watching Arcade Fire and Rage Against the Machine at Coachella was also awesome to see

ha, wow, I can't compete with those.

my list:

James Brown at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, 2000

you're young michchamp, plenty of time to see more great bands in concert.

I actually did see James Brown and the Flames, and also the late great Wilson Pickett with a great guitar player who did alot of the recording room music for alot of the R and B and the soul groups name of Steve Cropper.
But these were at large bars in Roxbury, Ma. not a concert venue, back in the mid to late 60's this kid I knew had a 'friend' who got us in there. We were the only two white guys and everyone turned and gave us the look. The friend was a 'bad ass guy' so he told everyone to let us be. We sat there and had a good time with the music. But it was a bit dangerous and when we left, and got home we both looked at ourselves and said "what and where did we go and do"? Still have alot of those 33 albums. lots of crazy stuff years ago.

KISS '75 @ Cobo Arena....Yeah, it was the "legendary" live recorded concert in Detroit on vinyl LP, for their famous first ALIVE! Album, I was in the audience on the main floor, but was tooo far back to see myself and my date in the audience image that was put on the album's back cover. The next time that I attended a KISS concert, it was 25 years later on New Year's Eve '99, with my wife @ The Palace of Auburn Hills on the main floor.

I really, really wanted to see Pink Floyd in '80 for The Wall tour, but they only performed it in NYC and LA...dammit!!
angry.png
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/> But I did get to see the band, of course minus Roger Waters in '87 for their Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour. When my gf at the time and I drove to the Palace of Auburn Hills, where they were scheduled to perform, as we passed through the parking lots, we passed row, after row, after row, after row, after row, after row, after row, after row, of semi-trailer trucks.

My gf at the time, who liked their music but was unaware of their legendary live shows, rather innocently then asked me why there were so many trucks, and what they all were there for. I said to her, dumbstruck, "Those trucks must have held all of the band's gear and stage equipment!!" Needless to say, we were both blown away by the music, the laser light show and theatrics, which were later recorded onto VHS tape titled "The Delicate Sound Of Thunder" as a live recording of various parts of their US tour that year. I did not have a chance to see their "Pulse" tour about 5 years later, since I had to work that night, but my wife did (we did not know each other at that time)

Another favorite concert that I went to in '97, was at a small venue in Pontiac, named Clutch Cargo's. My wife and I saw the popular (at the time) band Filter, one of whose members, Richard Patrick was once in the "industrial" rock band NIN (Nine Inch Nails). But what really made this concert unique, was the the all-girl band from Stockholm, Sweden, that was on tour with Filter, whose name was Drain STH. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drain_STH They made only one album of songs before breaking up about a year after I saw them perform, and those girls could REALLY play some hard-ass rock music, Didn't hurt that all four were hot-looking either. One of the girls in the band (Maria Sj

I saw ACDC in ' 83. My best would be the first time I saw Aerosmith at the Joe. And when I saw the Scorpions, with Night Ranger the opening act, at Pine Knob. In a big rain storm on the grass part. It was epic.

Incubus every time I've ever seen them! Absoutley amazing live band.

I'm only 26 so there are a lot of bands I was never able to see. I wish I could have seen The Doors, Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Queen, and Cream.

MichChamp02 said:
LCD Soundsystem's farewell concert at Madison Square Garden earlier this year

You went to this and didn't mention it? A-hole

Radiohead - Blossom Ampitheater (cleveland) - 2003 / Bonnaroo - 2006
Tool - The Sports Arena (toledo) - 2001
Beastie Boys - Cobo (detroit) - 2004
Roger Waters (DSOTM tour) - The Palace (detroit) - 2005?
Rage Against the Machine/Wu-Tang Clan - The Palace - 1997
Liars - Magic Stick (detroit) - 2010
Bonnaroo 2006/2009

The Who...Pontiac Silverdome 1975...followed by any of the 10 Zappa concert's I attended.

Seeing John Cougar as a warm up act for Ian Hunter in spring of 1980 at Center Stage in Plymouth was cool

Hey KC, if you're interested in any recordings of specific Zappa concerts I could probably dig them up for you.

DR said:
Hey KC, if you're interested in any recordings of specific Zappa concerts I could probably dig them up for you.

DeathRoh, I have so many FZ concerts, and stuff. Thankyou,

I've only been to 3 concerts...the 2 hip hop ones sucked bad and the other was Kid Rock at the sports arena in Toledo. Dont know the year but it was the american bad ass tour I think.

It doesn't seem like hip hop translates very well live. You always hear about sound and/or tardiness issues.

I'm not a fan, as we discussed, but I bet the Jay Z / Kanye tour will be top notch.

DR said:
It doesn't seem like hip hop translates very well live. You always hear about sound and/or tardiness issues.

I'm not a fan, as we discussed, but I bet the Jay Z / Kanye tour will be top notch.

Know a lot of people who said Jay z is amazing in concert..dont know about Kanye.

His last tour, Bright Lights tour (or something), was supposed to be great. Production wise at least.

Back