Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Your favorite Concert.

im kinda lame in this regard and have only been to one concert before. Jethro Tull in '05 at MSU. it was friggin awesome, especially because they played Kashmir (they apparently had permission to play it!)

One Michigan-based band that I never was able to see in their heyday was Grand Funk RR. They were very popular in my HS days, but of course I could not afford to attend all or even most of the live concerts by great bands whose heydays were also during the late 60s-early 70s. But fortunately they briefly reformed during the late 90s, and I finally got to see them, with the original members, including Mark Farner. It was a flash-back to my HS years, with tie-dye t-shirts, forehead scarfs, beaded necklaces, pachouli oil, MALE-brand button-fly bell-bottom blue jeans, and platform shoes, dingo or fringed boots, and fringed suede jackets...heh!!

laugh.png

Some other bands from that era, that I was able to eventually see much later in their "sunset" years, were Santana, Black Sabbath, Page and Plant (Led Zeppelin), and Alice Cooper (minus his original band-members who were cast-off when "Alice Cooper" went solo, and they reformed/renamed themselves "Billion-Dollar Babies") IIRC....

Other groups that I have never seen that I wish I could have during their prime, for example, were Traffic, America, Cream, Jefferson Airplane, The Beatles, The Kinks, Small Faces, Rod Stewart (before he went mellow/disco), T-Rex, Humble Pie, Sly & The Family Stone, Frank Zappa & the Mothers Of Invention, David Bowie, The Allman Brothers, AC/DC w/Bon Scott, Early Metallica, (pre-"Black Album" ) Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter, Jimi Hendrix w/ The Experience, The Doors, and pre-80s Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Chicago (Transit Authority) and The Who, The Guess Who, later The Tubes, The Talking Heads, The Clash, Alice In Chains, and Janes Addiction.. .. But I have seen quite a few groups, singers and bands over the years, and at least there are a lot of boots and recordings available, many that I already have, as downloads and DVDs to see them in their prime.

Obviously without Layne's voice Alice in Chains is missing a ton, but if you're a big fan it's definitely worth checking out the new incarnation. I've seen them a few times and it's a great show.

Around 68- 71... I was seeing many acts in their prime : At the Cobo: 68.. The doors and Jimi Hendrix; 69...Three Dog Night, 71...CCR At the Olympia :70.... Led Zeppelin

Worse concert ever was a Black Sabbath concert 7-4-71 at the State Fairgrounds in Detroit. Total loss of crowd control as "fans" threw m-80's into the crowd.
Second worse was the above mentioned doors concert where jim Morrison simply got drunk and slobbered around the stage.
Led Zep was great, hendrix was himself ....but CCR was fantastic.

Guitar magazine just rated the top 100 guitarists and #16 was a fellow from Ohio named Phil Keaggy who primarilly is known as a pioneer rock guitarist in contemporary Christian music. Anytime I see him it is the best I have ever seen. Better than Jimi, or Jimmy Page because Phil can play anything Jimi did but no way could 27 yr old Jimi pay the stuff Phil does....not fast enough, not jazzy enough, not inventive enough. Remember: All along the Watchtower took Jimi about 50 takes in the studio.

Participated onstage with the Funkadelics....used to see Seger at Detroit Metro clubs.....no one may believe this but I saw Yes at Waterford Mott HS on one of their first tours.
The Frost were an excellent Michigan band .....go to UTUBE and listen to "Rock and Roll Music" by this very talented group. We used to see the Stooges just because we hated Iggy.

Paul McCartney at CoPa in July. For being almost 70 that guy still rocks
Roots and Run DMC
Banaroo 2003 saw James Brown, the reason I bought the ticket
Dream Theater at the Pontiac Amphitheater
Eminem at the Warp Tour and the Palace

Beez are you from Toledo? Kid Rock used to rock out the Main Event and Frankies before he was a big star

I'm very jelous of how many great shows you guys got to see. Doors, Jimi, Zeplin, man that would have been great

Spockmaster said:
im kinda lame in this regard and have only been to one concert before. Jethro Tull in '05 at MSU. it was friggin awesome, especially because they played Kashmir (they apparently had permission to play it!)

Never got to see jethro Tull. Wish I had.

Me and two of my roommates and some friends were planning on going to see Jigga and Kanye at the Palace when they released the original tour dates (September 22?)... Then they pushed things back, and are playing Detroit the night of The Game. Bastards.

HailHail said:
Me and two of my roommates and some friends were planning on going to see Jigga and Kanye at the Palace when they released the original tour dates (September 22?)... Then they pushed things back, and are playing Detroit the night of The Game. Bastards.

man they are taxin for those tickets. I know people who saw Jay-Z concerts for a fraction of what those are going for. Theyre even way more expensive than the jay-z/Eminem concert from what I'm told.

My roommates went to that one and had a blast. I've never really paid for concert tickets (unless we're counting a date to see the DSO a year ago) so 60 bucks to me just sounded like sixty bucks.

I'm thinking Beez was referring to scalpers? If it's $60 from Ticketmaster, that isn't that much for a big show these days.

DR said:
MichChamp02 said:
LCD Soundsystem's farewell concert at Madison Square Garden earlier this year

You went to this and didn't mention it? A-hole

sorry. It was pretty freaking great. They had been playing all week at a small venue (an F-You to the scalpers that bought up tickets), but they didn't seem worn out or anything. My then-girlfriend lived in NYC at the time and managed to get two tickets before they sold out, or hit stubhub at insane prices.

They played most of their hits, and had some pretty cool visual effects going on, and other weird stuff, like a guy in a spacesuit working the soundbooth.

they played a three-song encore. I forgot what the first one was, but the second one was a cover of Nilsson's "Jump into the Fire" and they closed with "New York I love You..." (of course). as they finished, they released thousands of white balloons into the crowd and turned the lights on them. it was pretty sweet.

our seats kinda sucked; second level bowl, but everyone around us was cool. Fun crowd and everyone had a good time. Looked like the people on the floor had the best time. anything else you want to know?

Looks like they went from $60 in the nosebleeds to $213 on the floor through ticketmaster.

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:
You went to this and didn't mention it? A-hole

sorry. It was pretty freaking great. They had been playing all week at a small venue (an F-You to the scalpers that bought up tickets), but they didn't seem worn out or anything. My then-girlfriend lived in NYC at the time and managed to get two tickets before they sold out, or hit stubhub at insane prices.

They played most of their hits, and had some pretty cool visual effects going on, and other weird stuff, like a guy in a spacesuit working the soundbooth.

they played a three-song encore. I forgot what the first one was, but the second one was a cover of Nilsson's "Jump into the Fire" and they closed with "New York I love You..." (of course). as they finished, they released thousands of white balloons into the crowd and turned the lights on them. it was pretty sweet.

our seats kinda sucked; second level bowl, but everyone around us was cool. Fun crowd and everyone had a good time. Looked like the people on the floor had the best time. anything else you want to know?

Did you get laid?

How long was the show? I thought I remembered reading it was some ridiculous length. I definitely regret not seeing them, but everything comes back at some point. When he's tired of producing and staying in the background he'll bust out LCD again. At least I hope. On the other hand, he is no spring chicken.

#1) 1976 Bob Seger - Live Bullet at Cobo Hall. An amazing concert.
I also saw him a number of times over the years at Pine Knob. Every concert was top notch. Wild crowds.

#2) Journey and Pat Benatar at Freedom Hill.

Dozens of others:
Styx at the Michigan state fair and at a number of other venues.
Boston and ELO and every time Boston has ever come to town. I love that guitar.
REO Speedwagon at Pine Knob

Unfortunately, many of the other memorable concerts I went to were for girl friends or my wife. Very unimpressive list.
Bee Gees at the Silverdome - This one was pretty boring. Girl friend dumped me right after this. But it was memorable.
Barry Manilow at Pine Knob - several times.
Neil Diamond - I actually went to 4 of these if you can believe it.
Billy Joel and Elton John at the Palace - If I had to pick #3, though, this would come close. I had major fun for other reasons than the music. :*)
Three Dog Night - again several times.

Anyway, thanks for triggering the trip down memory lane.

DR said:
MichChamp02 said:
anything else you want to know?

Did you get laid?

How long was the show? I thought I remembered reading it was some ridiculous length. I definitely regret not seeing them, but everything comes back at some point. When he's tired of producing and staying in the background he'll bust out LCD again. At least I hope. On the other hand, he is no spring chicken.

I think the show was over 3 hours long. I don't remember when they went on exactly. we got there around 8:30ish, while one of the opening acts was still playing, and didn't leave until after midnight. It was a really long show, but they managed it well, and never looked tired. Great set list, and encore.

the only bad thing was the concessions in MSG... took a long time to get drinks.

also, I don't think they'll come back. he's 41 now, and he's said a number of times he feels ridiculous on stage. He tours as a DJ now though. He was in Chicago last month, but it wasn't highly promoted. I didn't hear about it until after.

I kinda hope they don't come back... after all the big money-grubbing classic rock "reunion tours" we have to hear about, I hope our generation can stick by their word...

Yeah, you're right about his comments. This probably is one retirement that will stick. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part..

Back