Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Your favorite Concert.

Wow, I've seen a lot ....

25 Dead shows and some of them rank right up there ...
Beastie Boys & Tribe on the Hello Nasty tour ...
James Brown at the House of Blues in ATL during 96 Olympics (bomb went off while at the show)
Primus, Public Enemy & Anthrax ... shook Flava Flav's hand during Anthrax playing ...
Many, many shows at Red Rocks ...
Sanitarium stadium tour a few years ago headlined by Metallica ...

About the worst but a girl I was dating made me go .... Spin Doctors @ Hill Aud in 94

This is a tough one. I've been to a lot of concerts, but I'd say my top 3 would be STP & Red Hot Chili Peppers at DTE in '00, Dave Matthews Band at CoPa in '01, and Kid Rock at Toledo Sports Arena in '06.

bigvic said:
Wow, I've seen a lot ....

25 Dead shows and some of them rank right up there ...
Beastie Boys & Tribe on the Hello Nasty tour ...
James Brown at the House of Blues in ATL during 96 Olympics (bomb went off while at the show)
Primus, Public Enemy & Anthrax ... shook Flava Flav's hand during Anthrax playing ...
Many, many shows at Red Rocks ...
Sanitarium stadium tour a few years ago headlined by Metallica ...

About the worst but a girl I was dating made me go .... Spin Doctors @ Hill Aud in 94

What years were you catching the dead? Also jw what you've seen at RR?

I saw the Dead from Summer 1990 - Summer 1995, including the last two shows they ever did in July 1995, Soldier Field about a month before Jerry died.

Usually saw The Palace, Soldier Field, Deer Creek, Buckeye Lake ... Richfield Coliseum, etc -- the summer midwest tours.

What about you?

As for RR I have seen a ton of shows over the years -- the venue is as much the show as the band.

Widespread Panic (many times)
Allman Bros
Beastie Boys
Jack Johnson (don't ask, it was the wife's choice)
Reggae on the Rocks (8 hours of Reggae)
Ministry
Primus
Jane's Addiction (forgot to single that one out before, it was Halloween!)

hmm .... my Dad saw The Doors at Red Rocks!

Crazy you saw the last two. As for me, I'm much too young.. In 95 I was 6 years old. I was too young to even see the last good years of Phish.. I could have caught them before their hiatus but never did. Even then they weren't close to 95-98... 3.0 Sucks.. Never again..

I spend most of my time making my way to Umphrey's shows. I've seen them 14 times. I've seen a ton of random shows. Disco Biscuits 6 times, Lotus 5, Phish twice, Ween twice, Primus twice, Claypool solo twice, Gov't Mule, MSTRKRFT, WSP, Modest Mouse, Medeski Martin and Wood, Flaming Lips, Weezer, LCD soundsystem, DeadMau5 twice, Of Montreal ... I'm forgetting ton...

I'm going to try and make it to see Buckethead in Orlando on the 20th. Ween is playing in St Pete next month too... I haven't gone to anything in about a month and a half, two months.

That's crazy, we've seen a lot of the same bands!

I've always liked the jam band shows but the scene is a bit much ....I saw Phish in Grand Rapids at some Roller rink in '93 or something, about 2000 people and saw them at the Michigan Theater at a show that wasn't sold out. Finally saw New Years Eve 93-94 at the old Boston Garden after 12/30 at MSG in NYC and never saw them again. The icing on the cake was moving back to CO where I'd grown up as a younger kid and moving to Boulder ....the Fall 95 Phish shows at RR after Jerry died were a disgrace. Some 30,000 non-ticket holders showed up and trashed the camp grounds, towns like Morrison and hotels in the area. The city of Denver has some ownership (or did) in RR and got sued by all these business owners because of the shows ... RR 'banned' Phish and they went on hiatus after that.

To me it seemed like the younger Dead crowd went to Phish and the older/younger Dead fans went to WSP. I saw WSP there in July and it was off the hook ...great show, a lot of fun and it reminded me of some of those Dead shows.

But dealing with a 4yr old the next morning was harsh!! Hahaha

Thanks for explaining the whole split of the fanbase. I didn't know that.. Being as young as I am I just assumed they all moved on to Phish. I've only seen one WSP show and wow was it nasty. If I ever had the chance to see them again I would.

Have you ever seen Umphrey's? I've got some good sdbs if you want..

Umphreys, String Cheese, the Samples, Dark Star Orchestra, Runaway Truckramp, Karl Denson/Tiny Universe, Ozomatli, George Clinton/Parliament, Merl Saunders, Dirty Dozen Brass Band .....you ever made it to New Orleans for Jazz Fest?

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:
You went to this and didn't mention it? A-hole

sorry. It was pretty freaking great. They had been playing all week at a small venue (an F-You to the scalpers that bought up tickets), but they didn't seem worn out or anything. My then-girlfriend lived in NYC at the time and managed to get two tickets before they sold out, or hit stubhub at insane prices.

They played most of their hits, and had some pretty cool visual effects going on, and other weird stuff, like a guy in a spacesuit working the soundbooth.

they played a three-song encore. I forgot what the first one was, but the second one was a cover of Nilsson's "Jump into the Fire" and they closed with "New York I love You..." (of course). as they finished, they released thousands of white balloons into the crowd and turned the lights on them. it was pretty sweet.

our seats kinda sucked; second level bowl, but everyone around us was cool. Fun crowd and everyone had a good time. Looked like the people on the floor had the best time. anything else you want to know?

This should be pretty cool for you...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/44794-lcd-soundsytem-final-show-documentary-to-screen-at-sundance/

(also note, Murphy is jumping into acting, appearing in a film at Sundance)

will keep an eye out for that. probably won't go to sundance to see it though.

The other videos I've watched that feature him are always entertaining.

it's at the Music Box here, nice. great place to see a flick.

in Detroit at the Main Art. I think that's actually in Royal Oak, though. Maybe you could crash at Byco's place after you check it out.

Yeah, I looked it up, Royal Oak. Sucks that it's on a Wednesday.

Maybe I'll demand that they play it in Monroe.

Can't believe Im confessing this but I saw Prince in Milwaukee at the amphitheater five years ago and it was by far the best show Ive ever seen. I like his music but never loved it. went with my wife. The guy is a better guitarist than I ever knew. He covered Led Zep Dazed and Confused as an encore. It was incredible.

Back