Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Upcoming Concerts / Concert Reviews

This is what I fancy

[flash=350,287:gju0tii5]http://www.youtube.com/v/1c-gvcF_BPA&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:gju0tii5]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
[quote="Rich what? Richmond!":9waad47t]I have never been to a concert and need to

It's too late for you...[/quote:9waad47t]

Sigh

MichChamp02 said:
I'm going to see Empire of the Sun tonight.

not a huge fan of some of that pop-electronica stuff, but I heard they put on a solid show

I've gotta hear the verdict on this one.

well... it was more about the spectacle than the music, I guess.

as far as the music goes, if you took a suckier version of Pink Floyd and Daft Punk and combined them... that's what their music sounded like to me.

the stage show was really visual, with crazy costumes, and four dancers that were all over the place. It was cool to see, but I wouldn't buy their CDs or listen to their stuff otherwise.

lot of hotties in the crowd.

DR said:
Cool, sounds like a pretty good night.
it was ok. I wouldn't go further than that.

music played with instruments but backed heavily by synthetic/electronic tracks seems to be the new thing. I guess they think it will bring in fans from both worlds, rock & techno/raver... but the only band that ever did it right was LCD in my opinion.

these guys were a guitar/bass/drummer, but it seemed like more than 50% of their sound came from elsewhere. it also seemed like their costumers & dancers were compensating for a lack of pure musical talent.

based on the crowd there, I expect them to get bigger in their next go-around... they were like the trendier frat kids/punk rock kids. the mainstream crowd is next.

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:
Cool, sounds like a pretty good night.
it was ok. I wouldn't go further than that.

music played with instruments but backed heavily by synthetic/electronic tracks seems to be the new thing. I guess they think it will bring in fans from both worlds, rock & techno/raver... but the only band that ever did it right was LCD in my opinion.

Well, Radiohead could kind of fit that description, but not on every song, and when they do employ the electronic stuff at least they're creating it all right there on the stage and then triggering the loops (same with LCD I believe). It's really something to see...damn I can't wait for them to tour again.

I kept seeing MGMT comparisons when I looked them up yesterday, and they've made it pretty big, so I guess there is a market for that sound. There's just such a thin line when you start using synths between good and garbage.

I agree with your progression of fans theory...it does usually work that way. If you're right about them having big money behind them that never hurts..

the lead singer wears face paint over his eyes during the show, and they do some other theatrical stuff, like hooking an air compressor up to a smoke machine and blowing smoke out. It looked cool at first, but when he kept doing it, and people kept cheering everytime, I started to question the whole experience.

thoughts of KISS kept entering my head. Empire of the Sun IS the KISS of this type of music. If they blow up big, then I think my comparison is even more valid.

Went to my first hip hop concert last night. Saw J. Cole at the Royal Oak Music Theater. Not that I have much to compare it to, but it was a pretty damn good show. Cole is a beast and the crowd was really into it.

HailHail said:
Went to my first hip hop concert last night. Saw J. Cole at the Royal Oak Music Theater. Not that I have much to compare it to, but it was a pretty damn good show. Cole is a beast and the crowd was really into it.

huh, I'm used to hearing about high school football players being described that way, not rappers.

when I saw you posted a concert review, I figured it would be for something gay like "Justin Timberlake & the Black Eyed Peas, sponsored by Teen Beat Magazine" or something like that

Lol not one of your best, but oh well. Last night after the game me and my roommates went up on our roof after the game, listened to Michelle Branch, K-Ci and Jo Jo, Boyz II Men, Hoobastank, etc. You wouldve loved it.

HailHail said:
Lol not one of your best, but oh well. Last night after the game me and my roommates went up on our roof after the game, listened to Michelle Branch, K-Ci and Jo Jo, Boyz II Men, Hoobastank, etc. You wouldve loved it.

not one of my... best? huh? what are you talking about?

I usually find your insults to be more entertaining is all I meant. Don't get pissy on me.

Kyuss (minus josh homme) is playing Saturday at the Crofoot. Probably not gonna be able to make it :-(

Justice is playing in Jacksonville this month.. A rare show for them in the states. I'm thinking about going.

Tool is playing at the Huntington Center in Toledo on 1/24/12.

In my head I'm already there

My buddy got a suite at the Huntington Center, so I won't have to sweat it out on Ticketmaster this morning. Just got my babysitter lined up, I'm good to go!

Back