Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Traditional Annual Christmas Movie Thread

tinselwolverine

We've had this thread on the Michigan board every year for years; here is where we talk about our favorite Christmas movie, or state which Christmas movie is the best of all time.

And I think we need a little Christmas now, so roll out the holly.

I'll restate what I said last time. It's a Wonderful Life is the greatest, I'm a fan of the 80's claymation MC mentioned, and the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol is the best version and anyone who says otherwise is clearly a communist buckeye sympathizer.

mine is Scrooged.

I like the more sarcastic take, since I've always associated christmas with learning Santa Claus was not real, my parents would lie to me, and the world is not a just place where the naughty are punished and the nice are rewarded.

but I do have a soft spot still for it's a Charlie Brown Christmas.

everything else is overly sentimental garbage. complete crap.

I'll restate what I said last time. It's a Wonderful Life is the greatest...

Still my favorite too.

I once posted that Reindeer Games was my favorite as a joke, and I got yelled at for that.

I like all of them; can't think of a Christmas movie I don't like.

The Sound of Music isn't a Christmas movie; but it's associated with Christmas because it's shown every year on television right around Christmas, just like The Ten Commandments is often shown on TV on Easter.

Plus it has that Favorite Things song, which has become a Christmas song because of its Christmasy/wintery references;

"...Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes;
Silver white winters that melt into springs....

Doorbells and sleighbells and tinsel and noodles;
Brown paper packages tied up with strings...."

Last edited:
Still my favorite too.

I once posted that Reindeer Games was my favorite as a joke, and I got yelled at for that.

I like all of them; can't think of a Christmas movie I don't like.

The Sound of Music isn't a Christmas movie; but it's associated with Christmas because it's shown every year on television right around Christmas, just like The Ten Commandments is often shown on TV on Easter.

Plus it has that Favorite Things song, which has become a Christmas song because of its Christmasy/wintery references;

"...Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes;
Silver white winters that melt into springs....

Doorbells and sleighbells and tinsel and noodles;
Brown paper packages tied up with strings...."

The Ten Commandments is actually shown for Passover, not Easter.

Well, I think it's shown in deference to both.

I eat traditional foods for both events anyway; but I generally don't watch The Ten Commandments anymore for either event; I've seen it a number of times, and it's pretty long...

Although the parting of the jello sea is always pretty phenomenal to watch...

Funny, I read right over that without thinking anything about it. It sounded completely correct to me. Ben Hur would be for Easter.

I'm going to toss out one that is always overlooked:

Die Hard

great kick ass movie set at x-mas

Still, my favorite is so tough to decide between many. This year I'm leaning toward NL's Christmas Vacation

obviously traditional things lin addition to above -
White Christmas
Miracle on 34th street

but then i add Christmas Vacation and Die Hard and Home Alone

obviously traditional things lin addition to above - White Christmas Miracle on 34th street but then i add Christmas Vacation and Die Hard and Home Alone

Wow.

You just inspired me to write a Christmas movie script!

The Christmas Miracle, MichLady Goes on Board Besides the M Board!!!

Charley Brown Christmas.

My favorites It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Carol - 1951 with Alastair Sim. Those 2 are much watches.

I also liked Ref with Denis Leary. Funny.

As mentioned in thread on Michigan board, White Christmas is starting to climb my list.

Oh, and when is tinsel going to start writing my favorite Chanukah movie, in which I get to have a sizeable role? Remember, at least 20 lines and a good 30 minutes of screen time, preferably from multiple angles and majority with the character alive. No sex scene though for my character, my wife would never allow it and I want my son to feel comfortable watching the movie too!!!

A Christmas Story. They show it way too often every year, but it never really gets old to me. I think it captures the magic of Christmas from a kids perspective almost perfectly.

Oh the HBO Sports movie Michigan vs. Ohio State: The Rivalry is also a great Holiday season movie.

It's not really about Christmas that much, but The Game happens right at the beginning of the Holiday season.

I used to view The Game as the unofficial beginning of the holiday season as it happened right before Thanksgiving.

I liked it better that way.

I know it's not the best movie of all time but we love watching Elf. The part when Buddy barges into the meeting where the small person is pitching children's book ideas is possibly my favorite scene in any comedy...

My better half still votes for Family Man with Nicholas Cage.

Back