Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

the OTHER kind of affirmative action

Michchamp

Link:

...New Jersey real estate developer Charles Kushner had pledged $2.5 million to Harvard University in 1998, not long before his son Jared was admitted to the prestigious Ivy League school. ...

I ... quoted administrators at Jared?s high school, who described him as a less than stellar student and expressed dismay at Harvard?s decision.

?There was no way anybody in the administrative office of the school thought he would on the merits get into Harvard,? a former official at The Frisch School in Paramus, New Jersey, told me. ?His GPA did not warrant it, his SAT scores did not warrant it. We thought for sure, there was no way this was going to happen. Then, lo and behold, Jared was accepted. It was a little bit disappointing because there were at the time other kids we thought should really get in on the merits, and they did not.?

While I can easily believe it's 100% true, I have a hard time with articles that use anonymous, former, sources and no evidence to support the claim about his GPA, SAT's, etc.

Especially ones that have an agenda, in this case the guy linking multiple times to his book on the subject, including direct links to the amazon site.

The media is becoming lazy.

While I can easily believe it's 100% true, I have a hard time with articles that use anonymous, former, sources and no evidence to support the claim about his GPA, SAT's, etc.

Especially ones that have an agenda, in this case the guy linking multiple times to his book on the subject, including direct links to the amazon site.

The media is becoming lazy.

I agree with you about anonymous sources.

at least in this case though, Kushner wasn't the focus of the initial article; it was about kids who's parents bought their way ino Harvard generally. This was a follow up written after Kushner became notorious for his role in the Trump campaign.

also, about him not being too bright... if you look at his record in business and government so far... that part checks out.

situation: a policy intended to oppose systemic racism that affects like 1% of all college applicants, and results in some borderline black applicants getting in over borderline white applicants?

Rush Limbaugh: This is An OUTRAGE. this is the "real racism" in society. this handful of white kids who don't get into their first college choice because of AA are victims. fund lawsuits! take this all the way to the Supreme Court!

situation: some equal (or greater?) number of rich kids buying their way into prestigious colleges over more qualified applicants?

Rush: Eh... what exactly is the problem here?

Talk about "entitlement issues"...

I agree with you about anonymous sources.

at least in this case though, Kushner wasn't the focus of the initial article; it was about kids who's parents bought their way ino Harvard generally. This was a follow up written after Kushner became notorious for his role in the Trump campaign.

also, about him not being too bright... if you look at his record in business and government so far... that part checks out.

Well like I said, I have no problem believing what was suggested in the article. I just felt it was kind of lazy journalism, and not really making any stunning conclusions. The rich and socially powerful have always gotten special treatment, whether it's getting in to a college they are not qualified for, or getting multiple slaps on the wrist and probation for breaking laws that you or I would do real jail time for.

The rich and socially powerful have always gotten special treatment, whether it's getting in to a college they are not qualified for, or getting multiple slaps on the wrist and probation for breaking laws that you or I would do real jail time for.

In other breaking news, water is still wet.

EDIT: Although, come to think of it, it all couldn't keep the guy out of jail for a while.

Last edited:
Well like I said, I have no problem believing what was suggested in the article. I just felt it was kind of lazy journalism, and not really making any stunning conclusions. The rich and socially powerful have always gotten special treatment, whether it's getting in to a college they are not qualified for, or getting multiple slaps on the wrist and probation for breaking laws that you or I would do real jail time for.

oh. i guess we should learn to be okay with it then. pardon me for attempting to draw attention to this inconsistency.

mods please delete thread.

oh. i guess we should learn to be okay with it then. pardon me for attempting to draw attention to this inconsistency.

~1/4 of the US are sociopaths who are okay with those who have affluenza, and look down upon those who are/were born into or become impoverished, disabled, minority, and/or become the unproductive elderly who survive upon SS/Medicare.

~1/4 of the nation are the polar opposite...aka the Antifa SJW.

~1/2 of the country follow Kim Kardashian's Twitter, are super sports fans, Ya'll Qaeda, are chronics, and/or alcoholics and/or are addicted to meth/coke/opioids/heroin, google for pics of Beyonce's newborn twins, watch Murka's Got Talent, are game talk-show audiences, have no idea who are their reps in local/state/federal government, or have/want to stand in front of Rockefeller Center in NYC, hoping that the NBC camera pans on them and their hand-drawn sign for a millisecond, so that they can tweet to their followers that they got on the Today Show's morning teevee....aka the apolitical, substance-dependent, superficial, and apathetic.

Last edited:
as far as the article being lazy journalism... how?

sure I knew that families that gave giant wads of cash to universities got special treatment. the author actually got a list of recent big time donors to Harvard, matched their names to kids recently admitted, and tracked down their records to see if they would've gotten in o the merits. it wasn't just an article though... he wrote a whole book on the topic about these practices generally, not just Harvard about a decade ago. that's lazy? this article is a refresh of that topic, newsworthy now that one of its subjects works in the WhiteHouse and given his father-in-law's hands-off attitude and love of nepotism, enjoys way more power than he should

the author also showed how much it cost Kushner's parents to buy their son's way into the school: $2.5 million, in annual installments of $250k. Holy shit. not sure whether the size of that gift is reassuring or demorilizing.

~1/4 of the US are sociopaths who are okay with those who have affluenza, and look down upon those who are/were born into or become impoverished, disabled, minority, and/or become the unproductive elderly who survive upon SS/Medicare.

~1/4 of the nation are the polar opposite...aka the Antifa SJW.

~1/2 of the country follow Kim Kardashian's Twitter, are super sports fans, Ya'll Qaeda, are chronics, and/or alcoholics and/or are addicted to meth/coke/opioids/heroin, google for pics of Beyonce's newborn twins, watch Murka's Got Talent, are game talk-show audiences, have no idea who are their reps in local/state/federal government, or have/want to stand in front of Rockefeller Center in NYC, hoping that the NBC camera pans on them and their hand-drawn sign for a millisecond, so that they can tweet to their followers that they got on the Today Show's morning teevee....aka the apolitical, substance-dependent, superficial, and apathetic.

it's always been like this though. You should learn to love it. give Thumb a call. he will set your mind at ease.

All societies have always been oligarchies regardless of their political or economic structures.

Last edited:
it's always been like this though. You should learn to love it. give Thumb a call. he will set your mind at ease.

The abolishment of the Fairness Doctrine during the Roaring Raygun 80s has had a larger impact on the yawning divide btw ideologies, than most know or realize, IMO. Politicians. pundits and pastors can lie with impunity, and so-called journalism has been watered down and compromised by the spread of ad-$$$ into cable/satellite TV, social media, and the internet.

Last edited:
as far as the article being lazy journalism... how?

sure I knew that families that gave giant wads of cash to universities got special treatment. the author actually got a list of recent big time donors to Harvard, matched their names to kids recently admitted, and tracked down their records to see if they would've gotten in o the merits. it wasn't just an article though... he wrote a whole book on the topic about these practices generally, not just Harvard about a decade ago. that's lazy? this article is a refresh of that topic, newsworthy now that one of its subjects works in the WhiteHouse and given his father-in-law's hands-off attitude and love of nepotism, enjoys way more power than he should

the author also showed how much it cost Kushner's parents to buy their son's way into the school: $2.5 million, in annual installments of $250k. Holy shit. not sure whether the size of that gift is reassuring or demorilizing.

As I previously pointed out...he quotes an anonymous source, with data that can't be verified. What ever happened to multiple sources? Fact checking? Oh wait, let's not worry about that this guy is trying to sell a few more copies of his 2006 book, and for convince sake he'll just drop a few direct links to the Amazon page to purchase said book.

I'm not saying it's okay, but like Tinsel pointed out....water is still wet.

so, the DOJ feels college affirmative action policies are such a problem, they're spending their meager references fighting them. link. what a fuckin' joke.

so, the DOJ feels college affirmative action policies are such a problem, they're spending their meager references fighting them. link. what a fuckin' joke.

Okay, you have two unrelated things going on in this this thread. The OP is about the Kushner donation to Harvard, and then in post 4, you move to Affirmative Action and Rush Limbaugh.

Okay, you have two unrelated things going on in this this thread. The OP is about the Kushner donation to Harvard, and then in post 4, you move to Affirmative Action and Rush Limbaugh.

No kidding. I think it's interesting to find out who can't cut it in school. Like when he had Bush and Kerry and everyone thought Bush was dumb, but Kerry's grades were just as bad.

I've read suggestions that Kushner is one of the "voices of reason" Trump will listen to.

edit: although there's a lot of space between "didn't get into Harvard on his merits" and moron. I don't want to get carried away here.

Last edited:
Back