Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Both of These Can't Be True

The left should form its own nationwide pool of eligible insureds, and leave the rightwing to obtain coverage through Trumpcare.

We're probably going to do that here in Cali. If you look on a map, you can't get more left than us!

These lazy ass fucks need more jobs, or better skills.

I hate that a Mother Jones reporter is the one who managed to record Romney. That said, the old fuckers, who paid all their lives into FICA who now live off the public teet without paying a dime in taxes should all just do us the courtesy and die.

Mitt rather ironically, received exactly 47% of the popular vote in'12.

As far as military families needing to resort to food cards (not stamps anymore), with a military budget of $650M+ annually, I don't understand why these active-duty service members aren't being paid enough to earn a salary that is above the federal poverty level. They must all have more than 2 kids.

They can't all be kids and spouses whose dad/spouse are jailed for not making child support payments. Or people who can't "quickly" find work after getting laid off.

No...they cannot be.

Is there any kind of study, graph or chart that shows the breakdown of American families that are now receiving government assistance?

And also, who makes the claim that "close to half of American families are now receiving government assistance of one form or another?'

I am going to go way out on a limb and guess that every single military family would be included in the count of American families that are now receiving government assistance of one form or another.

Are they included in the claim?

I don't know.

What are the facts?

This Forbes article pegged the number at 49.2% of Americans receive some form of government assistance (Medicaid, welfare, snap, obamacare subsidies, etc). I don't see any mention of the military. The data comes from the US Census Bureau.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merril...now-receive-government-benefits/#457d1e4b3e6c

The Mercatus Center at George Mason comes up with the same number. It does include social security and medicare (~14% of the 49%), which is not means tested and is based on paid-in. But it would be foolish to completely discount that 14% considering both programs are obligations of the government and are structurally bankrupt - also, didn't an entire generation collect benefits without paying in?

Everyone should have the same healthcare coverage as Congress enjoys, and the premium costs scaled to their annual individual or family income.

Otherwise its hypocrisy for Republicans to claim that everyone else whose employer doesn't provide group major medical, Rx drug, and dental insurance, should have to "shop across state lines" to find affordable plans. That is one of the biggest myths ever fomented by the Greedy Old Pricks.

first of all, that's not really hypocritical. What is hypocritical is Dems pushing a pile of crap, calling it reform and foisting it on the public but exempting themselves and everyone who isn't a major Dem voting block. Employer provided health insurance is a form of compensation which employers and employees have agreed to and employees earn. Also, employers will shop across state lines if they're able and lower their costs as well. If you get rid of regulations that stifle competition, insurers will offer competing products and drive prices down. That's not a myth, that's a fact.

Last edited:
Ye- ha!!!!!!!
Get your gun out and start shooting in the air .. The disgrace is most of the top greedy 1% who don't give a shit about the rest of us. When the economy emplods like Brownbacks state of Kansas the Democrats will have to pick up the pieces again just like after the Bush presidency. i hope this doesn't happen but it's not like we haven't seen this playbook by the Gop before.

it's a utter disgrace that Politicians let corporations act like people . News flash Corporations are not people. Get that type of Money out of politics. Get rid of citizens united.

Hey all republicans !!! How about we agree to stop all forms of gerrymandering!!!
Lol I doubt many republicans would agree to this

You want the economy to boom then inact national Healthcare and watch the America economy thrive when the spector of crushing medical debt is taking away from ordinary Americans . Governing by fear and hate has to stop.

you got in most of your irrelevant but favorite talking points in yet another classic incoherent rant. you almost got there - one more sentence probably would have done it but you left out for profit prisons again. you're slipping in your old age Bob.

also, didn't an entire generation collect benefits without paying in?

Probably not an entire generation, but yes; those who would have been eligible for social security and Medicare at the time of the passage of the SSA in 1934 would have collected benefits without having paid in did, I guess.

The few who may have voted in the election of 1960 would have been 100 years old at that time. God Bless'em.

And they weren't even part of the Greatest Generation, anyways.

I don't know how we're gonna get our money back out of them, though.

Life's a bitch and then ya die, right?

EDIT: You'll see in post #60 I linked to an article of people whom are, what tomdalton22 likes to call, "dead beats," who are also included in the class of those who claim a form of public assistance.

Last edited:
Mitt rather ironically, received exactly 47% of the popular vote in'12.

As far as military families needing to resort to food cards (not stamps anymore), with a military budget of $650M+ annually, I don't understand why these active-duty service members aren't being paid enough to earn a salary that is above the federal poverty level. They must all have more than 2 kids.

1st, it's less than 2%, and I'm sure it's because they are single with kids or married with kids and have a spouse that doesn't work.

2nd, I think it might be some kind of loophole. An E-3 makes about $24K a year. If they have any dependents, they would get a housing allowance & a subsistence allowance ($15-$25K+ depending on where they live). Those are not considered income and are not taxed. My guess is their salary makes them eligible for food stamps because the allowances are not considered salary? That's just a guess.

Last edited:
first of all, there's nothing hypocritical about that - employer provided health insurance is a form of compensation which employers and employees have agreed to and employees earn. Also, employers will shop across state lines if they're able and lower their costs as well. If you get rid of regulations that stifle competition, insurers will offer competing products and drive prices down. That's not a myth, that's a fact.

As a former independent insurance agent, I sold group medical and dental insurance plans for several years from WI, IN, and OH here in MI over 30 years ago. There is nothing stopping for-profit insurance companies from offering coverage in neighboring states, if they want to. Or are the Republicans going to try to force them to?

you got in most of your irrelevant but favorite talking points in yet another classic incoherent rant. you almost got there - one more sentence probably would have done it but you left out for profit prisons again. you're slipping in your old age Bob.

I know it was a great post!!!! Thanks for reminding me!!!!

Well you already know for profit prisons are just a weird concept if you really think about it .

Back