Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Penn State

yeah, I was thinking about this the other day and it goes back over Goins entire career. The argument has been using the bench as a teaching tool or playing the guys that give you the best chance to win and Goins can do things and others couldn't do going back to Davis - specifically defend balls screens. Well, if that's the case why is Goins on the floor during so many bad runs where we get outscored by double or near double digits over short spans. Not sure how that increases our chances of winning. I call BS.

HE loves the break a player down for 3 years to get one great season out of them as a senior plan. That?s great for mediocre players, but DON?T DO IT WITH YOUR STUDS THAT YOU NEED RIGHT NOW!!!

HE loves the break a player down for 3 years to get one great season out of them as a senior plan. That?s great for mediocre players, but DON?T DO IT WITH YOUR STUDS THAT YOU NEED RIGHT NOW!!!

I'd rather see Schilling or Carter get some minutes when they sit Ward. Goins can make some plays against a zone, decent passer and rebounder but obviously not a go to guy.

Ward has been a shell of himself since Big Ten play resumed, it's like he's never seen a double team in his career. they started doubling with another big as opposed to a guard digging and he has no response. He had a 3 second call and two travels last night, I think he only had one shot attempt in the first half. Part of the problem is his, the other part, in my biased opinion, is that refs allow him to get murdered down low. they call touch fouls on the perimeter and let bigs get hacked all day long.

This team needs Ward to make a deep run, with an efficient Ward scoring down low and racking up fouls on other players, we're the best country. Without that, we're top 4 or 5 in the big ten. Part of the problem has been coaching and the other part is Ward's inability to deal with pressure. He's been surprisingly better on defense this year though.

HE loves the break a player down for 3 years to get one great season out of them as a senior plan. That’s great for mediocre players, but DON’T DO IT WITH YOUR STUDS THAT YOU NEED RIGHT NOW!!!

there's that but my bigger point is the arguments for playing Goins kinda fall apart when lineups with him tend to be the ones where other teams go on runs. Granted, he's often out there with Tum, McQuaid and Schilling but if he (and those others) are the gritty defenders shouldn't those lineups play to 4-2 or 3-0 and not 11-0, 10-2, etc over those 4 minute stretches?

Last edited:
I'd rather see Schilling or Carter get some minutes when they sit Ward. Goins can make some plays against a zone, decent passer and rebounder but obviously not a go to guy.

Ward has been a shell of himself since Big Ten play resumed, it's like he's never seen a double team in his career. they started doubling with another big as opposed to a guard digging and he has no response. He had a 3 second call and two travels last night, I think he only had one shot attempt in the first half. Part of the problem is his, the other part, in my biased opinion, is that refs allow him to get murdered down low. they call touch fouls on the perimeter and let bigs get hacked all day long.

This team needs Ward to make a deep run, with an efficient Ward scoring down low and racking up fouls on other players, we're the best country. Without that, we're top 4 or 5 in the big ten. Part of the problem has been coaching and the other part is Ward's inability to deal with pressure. He's been surprisingly better on defense this year though.

yeah, I agree on Schilling - he's better on the break and he's at least as good if not a better defender/rebounder.

As far as Ward is concerned, and maybe it's on teammates not getting open but he has to figure out how to pass out of those double teams or maybe he needs to be quicker with his initial move. Or develop better range, incorporate a fade-away. He's has a decent touch and improved his FT shooting. He has the tools and he's already developed a good drop step, he should be able develop a fade-away. It's not as if he's not athletic, he probably has as many or more put back dunks than anyone on the team.

Last edited:
IMO Ward is just playing scared now. Izzo looks for any reason for him to take him out and I'm sure Ward is aware of this. He's not playing with instincts anymore, he's playing scared. This is not the same player from last year and I put it on Izzo.

Back