Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Building new gaming PC

Thumb

Been a while since I built one for myself.

CPU: Intel i5 6500 3.2 Ghz Skylake

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1-Gaming Z170X

Memory: 16 GB (8GBx2) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000

SSD: Corsair Force LS 240 GB

HDD: Seagate 1TB 64MB

Power Supply: Corsair CSM650M 80 Plus Gold

Tower Case: NZXT Guardian 921RB ATX Mid

Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD Burner

Total pricetag coming in right around $840

Only thing I'm not buying new yet is graphics card, just going to re-use my GTX 650ti for now untill I can afford to spend another $300+ on a decent new card

Thought/opinions?

It still amazes me how you can get a smokin' HD for so cheap. The only thing I'd question I would have future proofed your PSU. Fine for now, but if you're eventually going to get a stud graphics card I would have went minimum 750.

Other than that good unit, good price.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($221.98 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($102.88 @ OutletPC)

Memory: *A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $875.00

Lacks a SSD and a DVD burner (not very expensive to fill on a sale) but does have a nice video card. You could take the video card out and fill with SSD/DVD burner and be waaaay below 800.

Last edited:
It still amazes me how you can get a smokin' HD for so cheap. The only thing I'd question I would have future proofed your PSU. Fine for now, but if you're eventually going to get a stud graphics card I would have went minimum 750.

Other than that good unit, good price.

Not for a single graphics card. Only way you ever need more than 650W is of you run multiple cards in SLi or CrossFire.

The GTX 980 I want eventually even only needs a 550W

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($221.98 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($102.88 @ OutletPC)

Memory: *A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $875.00

Lacks a SSD and a DVD burner (not very expensive to fill on a sale) but does have a nice video card. You could take the video card out and fill with SSD/DVD burner and be waaaay below 800.

Part of the cost I forgot to list is 99.99 for the OS....

Also what the hell....when I click the links i put in, they should all be newegg....but some are somehow redirecting to walmart and office depot???

Not for a single graphics card. Only way you ever need more than 650W is of you run multiple cards in SLi or CrossFire.

The GTX 980 I want eventually even only needs a 550W

The graphics card isn't the only thing that uses power. I would hate to see your PC power down because of high load. Won't cost much more for a better PSU.

The graphics card isn't the only thing that uses power. I would hate to see your PC power down because of high load. Won't cost much more for a better PSU.

Yes, I understand how psu's work.

I'm actually going off Corsairs power supply calculator, which factors in the needed wattage of the CPU and components.

Bottom line, what you suggest; pc power down from lack of power under high load, wont happen. Not with a single GPU.

Also understand that all the improvements happening to PC's lately, namely PCI-e x16 3.0, sata III, DDR4 memory, 14 nm cpu's, USB 3.0 and 3.1, all drastically reduce power consumption compared to older components.

If you say so. Hope you plan on medium to low settings with these games..

I like the 8GB option. 16GB is overkill for gaming..

For now, but not for long. Many games already require 8 GB as minimum. By going with 16 GB (2x8) I just made sure I have all I will ever need and as a dual channel matched set. I could have gone with 8 GB (2x4) and upgraded later by adding another 2 sticks of 4 GB, but sometimes it's hard to find memory later with the exact speeds, timings, and voltages to match what is already installed.

Plus, the RAM I bought was a combo with the CPU and which made the memory half price anyways, which is why I got the 6500 and not the 6600 i5, because I ended up saving over $65 with the combo.

Also what the hell....when I click the links i put in, they should all be newegg....but some are somehow redirecting to walmart and office depot???

I noticed that. Thought maybe you had good experiences or something with them so I didn't say anything.

Your build was fine btw, I was just trying to give alternatives. There are so many routes to take.

Your build was fine btw, I was just trying to give alternatives. There are so many routes to take.

Yeah, I asked for thoughts on it but knew it was decent. It's not jaw dropping like it could be with a top end mobo and an OC i7 on a water block and dual/triple/quad gpu setup, but I also haven't hit the lotto yet.

The bottleneck I will have for a while will be my graphics card, which I'll eventually upgrade, but since it's likely to be the single most expensive component I don't mind waiting a bit because the prices on GTX970 and GTX980 cards should be dropping pretty soon.

http://www newegg com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899 Card I want eventually. (fuck you forum for redirecting hyperlinks) Manually copy/paste address in browser adding he . where the spaces are after www and before com

Hopefully that's not redirected, I don't know why the other links are...I hoped Mitch could explain maybe, since when I try to edit the original post, the link are correct, but for some reason the forum is changing the hyperlinks...kind of annoying.

Last edited:
The link is fucked but I figured it out. Let us know when you see it at a price you like. I need a new video card myself and I miss all the deals.

I'm running SLI'd 260 GTXs...they still do good but they're getting long in the tooth.

The link is fucked but I figured it out. Let us know when you see it at a price you like. I need a new video card myself and I miss all the deals.

I'm running SLI'd 260 GTXs...they still do good but they're getting long in the tooth.

I had to purposely break the link to keep it from auto-redirecting to officedepot or someshit, where it was the same card, just $80 more...

And yeah, the drawback to those cards is they probably dont have the newer DirectX support.

Yeah, I asked for thoughts on it but knew it was decent. It's not jaw dropping like it could be with a top end mobo and an OC i7 on a water block and dual/triple/quad gpu setup, but I also haven't hit the lotto yet.

The bottleneck I will have for a while will be my graphics card, which I'll eventually upgrade, but since it's likely to be the single most expensive component I don't mind waiting a bit because the prices on GTX970 and GTX980 cards should be dropping pretty soon.

http://www newegg com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899 Card I want eventually. (fuck you forum for redirecting hyperlinks) Manually copy/paste address in browser adding he . where the spaces are after www and before com

Hopefully that's not redirected, I don't know why the other links are...I hoped Mitch could explain maybe, since when I try to edit the original post, the link are correct, but for some reason the forum is changing the hyperlinks...kind of annoying.

What is the price difference for an i7 that is just short of the same quality of "OC i7 on a water block".

Processor speed is normally not the bottleneck, but if it is only $75 more it might be worth it.

Think i7-930. Also what overclocked proc speed is acceptable to you?

Think i7-930. Also what overclocked proc speed is acceptable to you?

i7-930 is the wrong generation.

The current non water version would be i7-6700 3.4 Ghz and it's $100 more than the 6500 i5

What is the price difference for an i7 that is just short of the same quality of "OC i7 on a water block".

Processor speed is normally not the bottleneck, but if it is only $75 more it might be worth it.

It's not really about speed. I went with the 6500 i5 @ 3.2 Ghz rather then the 6600/6600k i5 @ 3.4 because it was a little cheaper but also got the RAM for half price in a combo deal.

For gaming the i5 is usually just as good (80-90%) as the i7, you get 4 cores and a large cache. I don't do cpu intensive stuff like video encoding or CAD which is where the i7 would really make a huge difference over the i5.

My bottleneck will be my GPU until I can upgrade.

Last edited:
Back