Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Nintendo Switch

Interesting enough to keep an eye on. As usual it will depend on Specs, pricing & games.

It will be a disappointment just like the Wii U.

Nintendo should do what Sega did, abandon the hardware, and develop games for the Xbox and PS consoles.

Nintendo consoles are the Gary Johnson of the gaming industry.

I'm a huge, huge gamer. I own a PC and a PS4. My 4 year old plays the Disney Infinity (RIP) and enjoys himself too.

Having said that, I'm not a big gamer outside of the house and I don't want to set the example for my kids of having my eyes glued to a screen all the time. For the Switch to be a hit in this house it will need to step up the hardware game. My last experience with Wii was awful when it came to titles being dumbed down (can't speak on the WiiU). It'll be interesting to see what they stuff in that thing, my kid would love some of the Nintendo only titles I'm sure.

I'm a huge, huge gamer. I own a PC and a PS4. My 4 year old plays the Disney Infinity (RIP) and enjoys himself too.

Having said that, I'm not a big gamer outside of the house and I don't want to set the example for my kids of having my eyes glued to a screen all the time. For the Switch to be a hit in this house it will need to step up the hardware game. My last experience with Wii was awful when it came to titles being dumbed down (can't speak on the WiiU). It'll be interesting to see what they stuff in that thing, my kid would love some of the Nintendo only titles I'm sure.

Not a gamer outside the house either and currently most of my gaming is in my bedroom (Laptop) or Den (PS4). Being able to move it to the great room, a more relaxing place would be nice.

But those specs.. gotta see those specs.

Or it could be a massive success like the Wii.

The Wii was not much of a long term success. It was super popular in the beginning, but the control system was clumsy and it lacked the power in both CPU and GPU to compete with the ps3 and xbox 360 when it came to non-nintendo only titles.

Everyone I know who had a PS3 or Xbox 360 played, or play it all the time, everyone I know with a Wii, got bored of it within months and it just sat collecting dust.

Sure the Switch might sell a ton of units early, and be super hard to get for a while due to high demand and low volume, but I'm sure it will be just like the Wii, and the Wii U, and be ignored by people wanting a real gaming console.

I don't care about specs as nearly as much as everyone else. I have a PS4 and a decent PC. Don't need to play the most souped-up games all the time.

If the game is fun and the system works, I'll enjoy it.

I don't care about specs as nearly as much as everyone else. I have a PS4 and a decent PC. Don't need to play the most souped-up games all the time.

If the game is fun and the system works, I'll enjoy it.

I don't need souped up games but I don't want dumbed down games either. When we bought a Wii many years ago, Madden looked like dog shit. I haven't bought a Nintendo product since. Maybe Wii U fixed it, maybe Switch fixes it. Not sure.

I don't need souped up games but I don't want dumbed down games either. When we bought a Wii many years ago, Madden looked like dog shit. I haven't bought a Nintendo product since. Maybe Wii U fixed it, maybe Switch fixes it. Not sure.

I wasn't impressed with either the look of the new Zelda or the new Super Mario game they showed.

Also, when they show people using the mini-screen, the controllers break down in to tiny little clumsy looking things about the size of an ipod nano. That seems to me that it's more about gimmick functionality then it is actual usefulness.

New Zelda looked just fine to me.

Ultimately, if it does what it needs to do as a home console and pumps out good content like Zelda, Mario, Smash, etc... it's all good for me. My PS4/PC can handle whatever top flight stuff I need.

New Zelda looked just fine to me.

Ultimately, if it does what it needs to do as a home console and pumps out good content like Zelda, Mario, Smash, etc... it's all good for me. My PS4/PC can handle whatever top flight stuff I need.

Depends on what they're trying to do? To compete with PS4 and X-box One or make some niche console like the Wii? I'm hoping for the former.. Games like Mario and Smash etc doesn't interest me at all.

Watched the Nintendo conference. It just ended, so I have some updates.

Release date March 3rd. $299 in NA.

The game lineup looks like crap with some stupid game called "Arms" being one of the first games they featured along with Splatoon 2. Does Nintendo not realize that they're struggling because the lack of maturity in their games? Everyone loves Mario type games, but do most adults that can barely afford a $300 machine really want a family friendly system? No. They want more options.

They announced Skyrim would be coming to Switch. Amazing. A five year old game. Awesome. So excited. OH! And don't forget the world's most popular EA sports game!!!! FIFA! OMFG Can you believe it? We get Fifa. Fucking FIFA! And if it makes you feel any better, the detachable controllers come in blue and red...NEON colors.

The best thing I saw was that Breath of the Wild will be available on the launch date, March 3rd.

I feel like they could be making a huge mistake if they don't get better games. The idea of the console is so cool. Imagine being able to play the newest Call of Duty games anywhere you want. Hell, I have about 15 minutes while I wait to pick up my son from school every day. That'd be the perfect time to get some gaming in while in the parking lot.

Edit: Oh and also there was a new Mario game. It looked a lot like Mario 64 for 2017. There was a level that looked like it may be modern day NYC.

I have one now. The reconfiguring is not as simple as it should be, but the ability to play it as a handheld is cooler than I thought it would be.

hey gamer nerds:

I just bought my first new console in 15 years, one of those retro Super NES deals

I discovered my video game reflexes are a little rusty. gotta step it up, if I'm going to compete with my kids in a couple years.

I'm also pissed that I played Final Fantasy III for like 6 hours the second night, and could SWEAR I saved it, but when I re-started it, all that progress was missing. fuck. that pretty much killed my enthusiasm. no interest going through all that bullshit again.

hey gamer nerds:

I just bought my first new console in 15 years, one of those retro Super NES deals

I discovered my video game reflexes are a little rusty. gotta step it up, if I'm going to compete with my kids in a couple years.

I'm also pissed that I played Final Fantasy III for like 6 hours the second night, and could SWEAR I saved it, but when I re-started it, all that progress was missing. fuck. that pretty much killed my enthusiasm. no interest going through all that bullshit again.

I tried playing a Final Fantasy game a couple years ago, but it was tough because I'd play a little bit here and there and then not get to it for a month or two and then I'd be lost when I picked it back up. Modern games hold your hand and make it really easy to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

I tried playing a Final Fantasy game a couple years ago, but it was tough because I'd play a little bit here and there and then not get to it for a month or two and then I'd be lost when I picked it back up. Modern games hold your hand and make it really easy to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

kids these days have it way too fucking easy. they're growing up soft because their video games do way too much hand holding.

remember Legend of Zelda on the original NES? they basically just gave you a sword and said "go."

stupid older generation (yelling): in my day, at age 6, they literally just gave you a sword and kicked you out of the house. And it wasn't a video game either!

And you couldn't just hop on the internet to find answers. Did anyone ever call that Nintendo tip line?

And you couldn't just hop on the internet to find answers. Did anyone ever call that Nintendo tip line?

nope. I think it took us over a year to beat it. I think we had an older kid give us advice for the last level. edit: and we had to actually write that down on paper.

and efforts were hampered by parents randomly coming in the room and yelling "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY AND YOU'RE GOING TO SIT HERE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES? GO OUTSIDE."

Last edited by a moderator:
When I went to gamespot to get the super retro NES, there were some REAL freaks there grilling the store clerks about things... I had no idea WTF they were talking about. I am deeply concerned about the next generation. They were like openly hostile about strange things, and they spoke like the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

as an aside, MONSTER: I think you're right about Nintendo... I told the clerk "over the years, I've had like 3-4 friends lament how much of a pain in the ass newer video games have gotten, and they wished they had something they could just plug into the TV to play. Nintendo should've done this YEARS ago." and he told me no one these days understands how Nintendo could be misreading the market and demand as bad as they have.

Back