Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Nintendo Switch

lest I be accused of threadjacking, let me say the Switch does sound pretty great.

it does kinda seem like Sony and Microsoft went too far and left a more simplistic & basic gaming niche for Nintendo to fill.

though I still wouldn't given Nintendo my CC number or buy game add-ons if they have those; not sure. couldn't confirm online if the switch is wifi capable, although in this day and age, it seems idiot developers are willing to put a chip in anything.

The Switch is Wi-Fi capable but it's not required to have a connection to play like many games out there. I don't give them my CC#, if I want to buy something from their online store I just buy one of those cards in the grocery checkout line and load it at home.

The Switch is Wi-Fi capable but it's not required to have a connection to play like many games out there. I don't give them my CC#, if I want to buy something from their online store I just buy one of those cards in the grocery checkout line and load it at home.

that's a good idea actually. hey, you're pretty smart!

I've never been a fan of handheld gaming and thought I would leave the switch in the dock all the time. This has not turned out to be true. They did a great job making the transition easy, you don't have to restart the machine or anything.

I've never been a fan of handheld gaming and thought I would leave the switch in the dock all the time. This has not turned out to be true. They did a great job making the transition easy, you don't have to restart the machine or anything.

Exactly. Outside of my phone I had never owned any handheld gaming device. I got a Gameboy when I was a kid and returned it shortly after. Just was never my thing.

I also expected a severe loss of quality when I undocked the switch. I've noticed no difference so far, and I've actually read that fps has been slightly better on games like Doom and Skyrim when undocked but I haven't played those games on Switch yet myself.

It's so damn good.

You know how some enemies throw rocks if they can't get to you. I was shooting an arrow at a baddie when it was throwing a rock and the rock and arrow hit in the air. Unexpected game physics! I haven't looked anything up online, so I'm sure I haven't discovered half of what you can do, but figuring out what the game will allow to happen has been great.

You know how some enemies throw rocks if they can't get to you. I was shooting an arrow at a baddie when it was throwing a rock and the rock and arrow hit in the air. Unexpected game physics! I haven't looked anything up online, so I'm sure I haven't discovered half of what you can do, but figuring out what the game will allow to happen has been great.

You can also bat rocks back with your sword like you're playing baseball. So much of the environment is interactive, I find myself saving a game and just trying to clear camps of baddies in different ways.

I also haven't looked up anything with this game. One of the very few games where if you get stuck, it's not actually a drag. More often then not I stop playing because my battery died, not because I wanted to stop.

How's the game lineup as a whole? And the cost of games? The only handheld I ever owned, PS Vita. Not enough games. Switch seemed like a neat idea but $300 - ouch.

Last edited:
Just checking prices and they basically go 59.99 as a new game, generally - some are cheaper.. Just like PS4 games, which are also too expensive.

Some AAA games like Skyrim, Dark Souls but it seems like they have a ton of animated/final fantasy type games.

Just checking prices and they basically go 59.99 as a new game, generally - some are cheaper.. Just like PS4 games, which are also too expensive.

Some AAA games like Skyrim, Dark Souls but it seems like they have a ton of animated/final fantasy type games.

Yeah, I mostly see it as a system for Nintendo titles, and even then I wait. I think I saw Mario was down to $45 at one point. If I had lots of time to game, there would be no limit to how much I could be playing. I got a Steam Link, which allows playing PC games on my TV using a PS3 controller, all over wifi. Steam games are sometimes cheap. I think I own a copy of Skyrim that came as part of some bundle that was cheaper than the one game I bought it for. And I've never even got around to installing it.

Edit: Some of the games I have, but have never played:
Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, L.A. Noire, Assassins Creed 4, Okami

Last edited:
Yeah, I mostly see it as a system for Nintendo titles, and even then I wait. I think I saw Mario was down to $45 at one point. If I had lots of time to game, there would be no limit to how much I could be playing. I got a Steam Link, which allows playing PC games on my TV using a PS3 controller, all over wifi. Steam games are sometimes cheap. I think I own a copy of Skyrim that came as part of some bundle that was cheaper than the one game I bought it for. And I've never even got around to installing it.

Edit: Some of the games I have, but have never played:
Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, L.A. Noire, Assassins Creed 4, Okami

I've been pleasantly surprised with the Steam Link. I got it and the Steam Controller from my wife as a Christmas gift. She did good.

I use it primarily for side scrollers and controller specific games. Inside/Limbo, Batman Arkham Series, Witcher 3...all have been great.

Last edited:
How's the game lineup as a whole? And the cost of games? The only handheld I ever owned, PS Vita. Not enough games. Switch seemed like a neat idea but $300 - ouch.

If you're strictly into AAA titles, you might be underwhelmed. As we've mentioned in here before, Mario Odyssey and Zelda are phenomenal. I loved Doom, great shooter and one of the best soundtracks of any game I've ever played. Skyrim is great if you haven't played it yet. Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart, if you liked the others you'll like 8. Rocket League is even better than Mario Kart, I love that game.
I played/liked LA Noire on PS, I imagine it's just as good on Switch. I've heard good things of Splatoon 2 though I haven't played it yet myself. They have a lot of cheap indie games, if you put the time in to read reviews you can really find some gems. Stardew Valley and Minecraft are great games to play on the go specifically.

Smash Bros, Pokemon, and a few other big Nintendo titles are slated to hit this year and due to it's immense success, a lot of developers are jumping in trying to catch the wave.

Last edited:
If you're strictly into AAA titles, you might be underwhelmed. As we've mentioned in here before, Mario Odyssey and Zelda are phenomenal. I loved Doom, great shooter and one of the best soundtracks of any game I've ever played. Skyrim is great if you haven't played it yet. Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart, if you liked the others you'll like 8. Rocket League is even better than Mario Kart, I love that game.
I played/liked LA Noire on PS, I imagine it's just as good on Switch. I've heard good things of Splatoon 2 though I haven't played it yet myself. They have a lot of cheap indie games, if you put the time in to read reviews you can really find some gems. Stardew Valley and Minecraft are great games to play on the go specifically.

Smash Bros, Pokemon, and a few other big Nintendo titles are slated to hit this year and due to it's immense success, a lot of developers are jumping in trying to catch the wave.

I think that's the thing - of the games I'd play I already have Skyrim, LA Noire to name a couple. I'm not a Mario anything fan.. I guess I see it as if I own a PS4 Pro why would I need this? Also I have, as I mentioned, a PS Vita to be a mobile device. Tomb Raider Go was a really nice game. And cheap. I like puzzle games.

Then the question becomes how many gaming devices does someone actually need? Lol.

If you spot The Witness on sale, grab it. Best puzzle game.

Thanks. I see it right now on Amazon for 40 XBOX1 but for PS4, it's unavailable. So I couldn't buy it any way. But I'll keep a look out for it.

I think that's the thing - of the games I'd play I already have Skyrim, LA Noire to name a couple. I'm not a Mario anything fan.. I guess I see it as if I own a PS4 Pro why would I need this? Also I have, as I mentioned, a PS Vita to be a mobile device. Tomb Raider Go was a really nice game. And cheap. I like puzzle games.

Then the question becomes how many gaming devices does someone actually need? Lol.

I haven't touched my PS4 in 2 years. My kid plays Minecraft and Disney Inifnity or else I'd have traded or sold it a while ago. If you're still getting good use out of your PS4 and you don't game on the go, you probably shouldn't drop 300 bucks on a Switch.

I haven't touched my PS4 in 2 years. My kid plays Minecraft and Disney Inifnity or else I'd have traded or sold it a while ago. If you're still getting good use out of your PS4 and you don't game on the go, you probably shouldn't drop 300 bucks on a Switch.

I still use my PS4 heavily. My best on the go gaming is to the back yard on my laptop. The switch might have been a thought if games were quite a bit cheaper. I knew they wouldn't be - PS4/3 XBOX Switch Steam, if it's new it's expensive. It's like going to a sporting event these days.

Thanks. I see it right now on Amazon for 40 XBOX1 but for PS4, it's unavailable. So I couldn't buy it any way. But I'll keep a look out for it.

$40 is too much. It occasionally drops to $20 on steam, which is probably a fair price.

Back