Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official DSF Media Board 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

tinselwolverine

Are the Olympics a sports event?

A political event?

One thing for sure - it's a media/TV event.

The Olympics is/are underway, and this the first thread for on this board for it/them.

If an Olympics thread appears anywhere else, and people choose to post about the Olympics on a different thread, all good and all cool.

But as the moderator of the Media/TV board, I am officially offering this thread.

My wife loves the Olympics...especially the Winter Olympics.

She and her dear departed mom - who had just died about a year before I met my wife - used to watch the Olympics together, along with other sports.

Her mom loved watching sports on TV.

Sports on TV was actually the first connection between my wife and me.

My own dear sweet departed Mom used to love to watch sports on TV with me too.

As she got older and her hearing and cognition were kinda on the way out, sports became her favorite thing - easy to follow - that team is going that way, and the other team - it's going the other way.

Wow.

My neighbor in Ann Arbor (sort of)...Mike Tirico...looks like he's taken over hosting the Olympics for Bob Costas...

Mike's kids went to Wines Elementary School, where I went...now I guess they go to Forsythe Middle School (it was a junior high when I went there; John and Jim Harbaugh were across town going to Tappan Junior High at the time); unless they have already gone on to Skyline High School (which wasn't there back in my day; I went to Ann Arbor Pioneer, caddy corner from Michigan Stadium).

Vic's buddy Dr. Dave, who last I knew was the principal of Wines Elementary lives out that way; I understand that Vic gets out that way quite a bit himself.

I don't know if any of this means anything more than I'm getting old as fuck, just like Mike Tirico and Bob Costas.

Wow...this snuck up on me. Didn't make the front page of any site I frequent.

Who's the big medal favorite for the US? Rah Rah! Red, white, and blue!

Flag_of_France_1790-1794.PNG

latest

Wow...this snuck up on me. Didn't make the front page of any site I frequent.

Who's the big medal favorite for the US? Rah Rah! Red, white, and blue!

USA! USA!

Careful...people will start accusing you of being a Republitard.

NBC loves to show Lindsey Vonn whenever they have the chance.

I'm A-Ok with this.

NBC loves to show Lindsey Vonn whenever they have the chance.

I'm A-Ok with this.

the winter Olympics are pretty boring and team USA really doesn't have anybody that is supposed to dominate. The only thing NBC has is one blonde downhill skier. I'm sure they are going to lose their ass this year.

LOL ... I really like the Olympics, especially the Winter Games where you don't even have the NHL pros this time around.

As for the US team ...what?! No favorites?? Vonn and the other skier Julia Mancuso are favorites. Shawn White - recalling him as a 10yr old in Burton videos makes me old - and RED G from Silverthorne (not Ohio!) with the first Gold.

What I like most about Winter is that the US isn't sandbagging every event and has to actually compete. We've done well in the Luge and the figure skating/dancing is always strong (though I don't always watch that).

As for hype...?! Anyone else remember the contrived Dan vs Dave campaign where one of the fools didn't even make the Olympic team?? LOL ....my Dad was invited to tryout for the 1972 swimming team but hated Mark Spitz (who didn't?) so much, that he passed and within a year, arrived yours truly!

Will be heading to Mexico on Weds for Dead shows on the beach with Dr Dave, as it would happen..!

[EDIT] - I went to the 1996 Summer games in ATL and my friend's parents have been to 19 Games over 37yrs ..His dad has a blog below:

[FONT=&quot]PYEONGCHANG, KOREA – FEBRUARY 11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DAY 3[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Korea is one of the most advanced nations on the globe. 50MM people. Highest cell phones-per-capita in the world. Cutting-edge technology on everything from transportation to toilets (“what are all of those buttons for . . . oops”). A very urban culture. South Koreans are generally friendlier and more accepting than the folks of other Asian nations. They have a good sense of humor and like Americans. This is a very traveler-friendly nation. Seoul is a sophisticated city with lots of English-speakers. However, PyeongChang “County” (where the OL sites are) is much more of a challenge language-wise. Away from Seoul, Koreans learn to read English, but struggle speaking it. Getting an answer to a question is problematic. Learn the words “kamsa-hamnida” (thank you) and “anneyo haseyo” (an all-encompassing phrase that will cover “hello”, “good bye” and “whassup?”), and that can go a long way. We have never had a (real) problem here. And, you will find Koreans to be very polite, but a bit impatient and pushy. You’d like ‘em.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Food can be a challenge for Westerners who have not been to Korea. Koreans like it hot. Chiles and pepper paste with every meal. Most meals revolve around beef (a big industry), pork, chicken and/or seafood. The entree is usually accompanied by “banchan” (side dishes), mostly vegetables, pickled stuff and seaweed. Banchan is usually served in 5, 7 or 9 small bowls (Koreans consider odd numbers lucky). On our first trip to Korea, Linda and I started to refer to various mysterious dishes as either ** “yellow, green, red, or brown biomass”. Typical Korean restaurants are lively, noisy and just darn fun. Koreans are great hosts and we are never surprised to have some local stranger stop over to welcome us, describe the various dishes and even cut up our food for us . . . and all of the time chattering away in Korean.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And, then there is “soju”, essentially a dry, lightly-flavored rice wine available everywhere in several levels of quality and alcoholic content. It seems like the perfect compliment to every dinner. Addictive. And cheap! Middle quality varieties are not much more than a soft drink.[/FONT]

Last edited:
I guess I can't relate to any of the winter sports except maybe Hockey. Ice skating, sledding, skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, cross-country skiing while shooting a gun...none of these were sports even at the high school level when growing up in the midwest. The summer games are more relatable due to many of the sports being high school sports growing up (track, swimming, diving, gymnastics, etc).

The snowboarding is somewhat entertaining but it reminds me of the X-games more than an Olympic event. I could get into that cross-country skiing if they would actually shoot at each other, using paintballs of course ;)

I guess I can't relate to any of the winter sports except maybe Hockey. Ice skating, sledding, skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, cross-country skiing while shooting a gun...none of these were sports even at the high school level when growing up in the midwest. The summer games are more relatable due to many of the sports being high school sports growing up (track, swimming, diving, gymnastics, etc).

The snowboarding is somewhat entertaining but it reminds me of the X-games more than an Olympic event. I could get into that cross-country skiing if they would actually shoot at each other, using paintballs of course ;)

If you don't like the Olympics very much, you get not to.

Although team cross country skiing with intermittent paintball gunfights actually sounds like a pretty good idea.

Last edited:
LOL ... I really like the Olympics, especially the Winter Games where you don't even have the NHL pros this time around...[FONT=&quot]And, then there is ?soju?, essentially a dry, lightly-flavored rice wine available everywhere in several levels of quality and alcoholic content. It seems like the perfect compliment to every dinner. Addictive. And cheap! Middle quality varieties are not much more than a soft drink.[/FONT]

The wife and I both love the Olympics.

We both grew up watching them with our now departed parents, and we both remember those days fondly.

We've been watching them pretty much every day.

The Shib Sibs from Ann Arbor get the bronze.

Good on that.

Last edited:
Back