Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

high school football

Michchamp

I saw it already started... mostly familiar names in McCabe's super 10.

SUPER 10 w-l div.
 1. Farmington Hills Harrison 1-0 2
 2. Novi Catholic Central 1-0 1
 3. Lowell 1-0 2
 4. East Grand Rapids 1-0 3
 5. Utica Eisenhower 1-0 1
 6. Clarkston 1-0 1
 7. Muskegon 1-0 2
 8. Grand Haven 1-0 1
 9. Marine City 1-0 4
10. Warren De La Salle 1-0 2

I remember they used to separate schools by class size, not division: AA, A, B, C, D. Did they drop that approach? Or are divisions established by enrollment?

The divisions are separated by size (enrollment). The MHSAA just decided to use a numbering system for divisions instead of letters. I don't know exactly why, but that is how it's been for a few years now...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Here is a fun site if you want to check the history of teams or schedules and such..It goes back to 1950 and is a very neat site...

http://michigan-football.com/

I agree. Not only does this website carry Michigan high school football stats/records, it links to several other states and their high school football stats too.

You can like this site on Facebook and it will give you access to all kinds of high school/ college football information.

Whomever runs the site is brilliant. It is 100% better than navigating the MHSAA website...

rayhowland3 said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Here is a fun site if you want to check the history of teams or schedules and such..It goes back to 1950 and is a very neat site...

http://michigan-football.com/

I agree. Not only does this website carry Michigan high school football stats/records, it links to several other states and their high school football stats too.

You can like this site on Facebook and it will give you access to all kinds of high school/ college football information.

Whomever runs the site is brilliant. It is 100% better than navigating the MHSAA website...

I agree...This site is fantastic...

rayhowland3 said:
The divisions are separated by size (enrollment). The MHSAA just decided to use a numbering system for divisions instead of letters. I don't know exactly why, but that is how it's been for a few years now...

I have been back since 2004 and it happened before that so it may be over ten years now or more with the divisions numbered.. Not sure when they did it..

cool site Bob.

weeding out the teams with under 300 games, Bro Rice is 5th all time in the state. Not bad. that enrollment number is misleading too; pretty sure our avg. enrollment was under 800, for most of the 20th century. certainly wasn't more than that while I was there in the 90s

MichChamp02 said:
cool site Bob.

weeding out the teams with under 300 games, Bro Rice is 5th all time in the state. Not bad. that enrollment number is misleading too; pretty sure our avg. enrollment was under 800, for most of the 20th century. certainly wasn't more than that while I was there in the 90s

Thanks..Yeah every fall i use it up until the state finals a few times a week. I am a sucker for past scores and records... Brother Rice is certainly one of the states football powers... .751 winning percent is outstanding...

I see my Cousino Patriots are 0-1 :(

Shame how much they've dropped since my graduating class.

How does the playoff system work? Is it still the same? IIRC in HS we were only A, but we would play some AA teams in the playoffs. Where do they make the distinctions?

MichChamp02 said:
How does the playoff system work? Is it still the same? IIRC in HS we were only A, but we would play some AA teams in the playoffs. Where do they make the distinctions?

In Michigan all you have to do now is win 6 games if you have a nine game schedule, and 5 games if your team has a eight game schedule. It has been that way since 1999... They take the top 256 teams and then load them by enrollment and the top 32 are division 1 all the way down to Division 8. So you get eight football championship teams and it makes for great TV for two days around thanksgiving. It is the reason a team like East Grand Rapids can stay in division 3 and smack around teams with lesser talent and win five straight D-3 titles. Yes i am jealous of EGR because they have smacked Byron Center 2years in a row.. But they are good.. They could beat most Division 1 teams. But this system is fine by me because it does give the underdog teams a chance albeit if it is a small chance..

http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/cm/cm0804/bbplayoff.htm

Now basketball is different then football.. They still only have 4 championships and still use the letter format A-B-C-D.

A few other questions about Michigan High School football and basketball.

1. I have been told the reason they do the playoff format in football like this is they want to stay at a Maximum of 5 playoffs games for the championship teams after a nine game schedule.

2.. Other then games streamed online by MHSAA, Championships, or some tape delayed games you will never see a team from Michigan on ESPN. The championships are on Fox Sports Detroit Live.

3.. Other then border school's... A team may only travel 300 miles one way to play schools out of state. I believe border school's can travel farther...

haha... you've pretty much answered everything I wanted to know about HS football in Michigan.

The only schools I used to hate back in the day were:

Novi CC (formerly known as the Redford Rednecks)
Seaholm
OL St. Mary's (cheaters)
UD Jesuit (douches)

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
MichChamp02 said:

In Michigan all you have to do now is win 6 games if you have a nine game schedule, and 5 games if your team has a eight game schedule. It has been that way since 1999... They take the top 256 teams and then load them by enrollment and the top 32 are division 1 all the way down to Division 8. So you get eight football championship teams and it makes for great TV for two days around thanksgiving. It is the reason a team like East Grand Rapids can stay in division 3 and smack around teams with lesser talent and win five straight D-3 titles. Yes i am jealous of EGR because they have smacked Byron Center 2years in a row.. But they are good.. They could beat most Division 1 teams. But this system is fine by me because it does give the underdog teams a chance albeit if it is a small chance..

http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/cm/cm0804/bbplayoff.htm

I love the way the playoffs are done now. Teams are also rewarded "points" for a victory, depending on how "tough" a team is and who that opponent beats during the season.

Back when I was in high school (late 80's) there were only 4 classes, and you had to be damn near perfect to make the playoffs.

Now teams can schedule more difficult teams on yearly slate, and not worry about losing 1 or 2 games and being done. Plus, with teams moving up and down in divisions with enrollment, there is less chaos if teams want to continue their traditional rivalries with neighboring schools.

AH... I think they double the enrollment figures since it's an all-guys school. I was going to say, there's no way our enrollment was over 1,000 in the 90's. I know they've expanded the building, but I doubt they added 700 more students in the last decade...

Back