Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Public verses Private school

I think Private schools have a advantage over public schools...
Can I prove it.. probably not.. Like was mentioned above there are some
Public schools hat have had shady past?
East Grand Rapids comes to mind... There are lot of Muskegon teams that took advantage of heights becoming a Charter school.. Probably nothing wrong with that.

Mona Shores for sure has benefited from the Heights situation. Their coach(Koziak) not only recruited many of them to play at Shores, but had/has several living with him. That didn't break any rules, but when he did the same thing with a Grand Haven player he was caught and suspended for the first 2 games this year. He came from the Muskegon program where Tony Annesse practiced many of the same tactics.

[/FONT]

Mona Shores for sure has benefited from the Heights situation. Their coach(Koziak) not only recruited many of them to play at Shores, but had/has several living with him. That didn't break any rules, but when he did the same thing with a Grand Haven player he was caught and suspended for the first 2 games this year. He came from the Muskegon program where Tony Annesse practiced many of the same tactics.

Kids can live with their coaches to satisfy residency requirements if they are not from out of district?

Kids can live with their coaches to satisfy residency requirements if they are not from out of district?

I'd question the legality of that under MHSAA rules. I'd further question the general ethics of it.

housing kids just so you can win a couple more high school football games seems pretty pathetic and sad, on the part of the coach.

I know my wife's HS best buddy was an all-state catcher for girls softball and her parents moved her senior year. She used her grandmother's address to remain in-district so she could stay in her school but lived out of district. They won a state championship and she played softball at Michigan on a full ride. This was in the early 80s'.

Last edited:
I thought it was fairly common knowledge that Chris Webber went to Country Day on an "Art Scholarship".

Wink wink. Nudge nudge.

I'm certain there are situations where some private schools do things to get a kid into their school, as noted above in the case of Chris Webber's gift for water colors. But I'm certain it happens on some occasions at public schools as well.

I have heard crazy stories about one particular lake-front private school's former patterns of acquiring kids.
OLSM?

they always seemed a little dirty, as far as this stuff goes.

I remember they were the catholic school that admitted discipline cases that were kicked out of Rice, UofD, or CC.

housing kids just so you can win a couple more high school football games seems pretty pathetic and sad, on the part of the coach.

Well they did make the playoffs for the first time EVER this year so it seemed to have paid off

I know my wife's HS best buddy was an all-state catcher for girls softball and her parents moved her senior year. She used her grandmother's address to remain in-district so she could stay in her school but lived out of district. They won a state championship and she played softball at Michigan on a full ride. This was in the early 80s'.

If a kid wants to finish out their Senior year in that situation, I can't fault them.

The MHSAA would not like it by rule, but then again they can't prove the girl doesn't live with Grandma unless they have the resources to hire a PI and follow her around a while. Then it becomes a question of how much time does she need to spend at Grandma's house to legally live there?

It sets pretty subjective pretty quickly. The rules are pretty easy to bend and get bent often I suspect.

OLSM?

I remember they were the catholic school that admitted discipline cases that were kicked out of Rice, UofD, or CC.

Mick McCabe wrote a story a few years ago about the Catholic league being prepared to give then the boot. They had taken several transfers from other Catholic league schools (DeLaSalle and UofD) and it had gotten a bit testy.

They've seemingly been behaving a bit better since this hit the fan.

OLSM?

Like that b-ball and FB player who went to MSU recently.

Mick McCabe wrote a story a few years ago about the Catholic league being prepared to give then the boot. They had taken several transfers from other Catholic league schools (DeLaSalle and UofD) and it had gotten a bit testy.

They've seemingly been behaving a bit better since this hit the fan.

Not to mention the hockey players from Poland.

That kid was at UofD. Was in bad shape academically. Up and transferred to OLSM.

UofD objected to the transfer as athletically motivated. Appealed to the Catholic League. They instituted a league rule about Catholic League to Catholic League transfers. Stricter than MHSAA rules.

It wasn't the first kid OLSM had nabbed from another Catholic League school in broad daylight. The aforementioned McCabe column appeared shortly after or around the same time.

Not to mention the hockey players from Poland.

Yep. Played in a state championship game here. Got on a plane the next day for Poland to compete for Poland's national U18 squad.

It was not a clean break between semesters either. It was a mid-semester change that coincided with the hockey season ending.

Yep. Played in a state championship game here. Got on a plane the next day for Poland to compete for Poland's national U18 squad.

It was not a clean break between semesters either. It was a mid-semester change that coincided with the hockey season ending.

That I did not know.

that's been happening forever, Isaiah Thomas ended up at St Joes in Chicago. OSLM does seem to bring more top quality athletes from Detroit though, I was there recently for a CC/Rice hockey game and i was looking at their wall of fame that consisted of a lot kids that listed Detroit as their hometown in college.

that's been happening forever, Isaiah Thomas ended up at St Joes in Chicago. OSLM does seem to bring more top quality athletes from Detroit though, I was there recently for a CC/Rice hockey game and i was looking at their wall of fame that consisted of a lot kids that listed Detroit as their hometown in college.

that isn't the same thing. Isiah Thomas didn't change schools to go there, or flunk out somewhere and get accepted there to play basketball. OLSM seems to be the only catholic league school pulling that crap in Metro Detroit.

Been happening for ever...where? At OLSM? Maybe. UD does not accept expelled athletes from other Catholic programs.

Can't be that recent, either, because they haven't played yet this season. Must have been in March of this year.

Last edited:
Back