Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pro Athletes to come out of your high School

michiganalex

Do any of you have any pro athletes that came out of your high school?

I went to Bay City Western in Auburn. We had Mike Mieske, who played for the Mariners and Brewers back in early to mid 90s. Also had the Steiner Brothers as well.

off the top of my head...

Mike Lodish, Pete Mitchell, BJ Armstrong.

guy from my class played minor league ball for the Tigers but never got called up.

I went to Port Charlotte High School in Florida. I played football in high school with Anthony Hargrove from the Saints and involved in the bounty gate. My brother graduated with John Hall, kicker for Jets and Redskins. Matt Laporta went to my high school but transferred to our rivals because they hada better baseball program.

How about Brian Brennan, Champ?
oh yeah...

I did say "off the top of my head."

there's gotta be a couple more. or maybe some in a more obscure sport.

crazy how rare it is to make it to the pros in anything.

Ann Arbor Pioneer:

Bob Elliott played basketball for the New York Nets (they were New York back then) after a pretty illustrious career with the Arizona Wildcats.

Keith Bostic was an All American DB at Michigan in football, and went onto a good pro career with the Houston Oilers.

I knew both of them growing up; Keith was in my class and Bob's little brother David was too.

Jim Harbaugh was a few years younger than me, and he didn't graduate from Pioneer, but he went there his sophomore and junior years.

His older brother John did graduate from Pioneer; John never played pro sports, but has been a notable head coach in the NFL.

John was a year behind me; I don't remember him because I decided to play water polo rather than football (the seasons overlapped) when I got to Pioneer, but my old pals who did play football remember him from the football team.

Olympic diving isn't a pro sport, but Bruce Kimball, who was a couple years behind me, won a silver medal in diving in the Olympics.

Tragically, he was out driving drunk one night, and caused a car accident that ended up in fatalities.

Those are just the ones who went to Pioneer around the time that I did, I'm sure there must be others.

I forget his name but my class a SP went to the Yankees. He pitched a bunch of years in the minors, AAA for a short time. Years after I graduated, Drew Henson.

Went to high school in Va. Torrey Smith from the ravens graduated from my school. We played fb together.

Played baseball and hoops with Keith Karpinski in grade school at St Lads in Hamtramck. He played a bit for the Lions but was better known for winning a NC ring (linebacker) at PSU next to Shane Conlan.

I went to Finney in Detroit. Earl Cureton, Jermaine Jackson NBA / ABA. Tony Elliot in NFL (I went to school with him) and I think he is their head coach now but the school was rebuilt last year and is now called East English Village Preparatory Academy. I forgot John Orr who was drafted by the Tiger's in 1970 but never played in the show.

Last edited:
Reeths-Puffer(Muskegon)

Mark Hughes-captain of the 89 Michigan NC hoops team. Played shortly for the Pistons. Then overseas for a few years.

Mark Grimmette-won medals in several Olympics(luge)

Johnny Williams-played RB for Cowboys, Colts, Seahawks, Saints and the Michigan Panters.

Sheila Young Olympic skater who won 3 medals in the '76 Winter Olympics, she was not a "pro" but a notable athlete nonetheless. I am related to her on my late father's side.

Ed Budde played for the KC Chiefs.

Len Okrie, former MLB player for the Senators and Red Sox.

Victor Alexander, professional basketball player for the Warriors.

Denby HS, '74 I helped organize and led a walkout in '74 including students from Denby, Pershing, Finney, Osborn, Kettering HS to protest the teachers' strike of the same year. Literally thousands of students marched to the City-County Building in downtown Detroit that June morning and it was filmed by the local TV news media. I got in big trouble for my role in the walkout and was nearly expelled from school and would not have graduated.

Last edited:
Sheila Young Olympic skater who won 3 medals in the '76 Winter Olympics, she was not a "pro" but a notable athlete nonetheless. I am related to her on my late father's side.

Ed Budde played for the KC Chiefs.

Len Okrie, former MLB player for the Senators and Red Sox.

Victor Alexander, professional basketball player for the Warriors.

Denby HS, '74 I helped organize and led a walkout in '74 including students from Denby, Pershing, Finney, Osborn, Kettering HS to protest the teachers' strike of the same year. Literally thousands of students marched to the City-County Building in downtown Detroit that June morning and it was filmed by the local TV news media. I got in big trouble for my role in the walkout and was nearly expelled from school and would not have graduated.

Additionally, you had Shantee Orr (Houston Texans), WIllie Osley (NE, Chiefs), Mel Owens (NE, Chiefs), and Ernest Young (PIT).

i didn't go to Midland High but current Mets Manager Terry Collins came from there

maybe a furture pro. don't knwo his name but there was this 6'7 TE on Midland High's squad that went to Notre Dame this season. don't know how he did but may get another frmo the area

Back