Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Nevada HS kid kicks a 64 yard field goal

biggunsbob

Maybe Michigan can get him LOL..

Statistically speaking: Kicker hits incredible 64-yard field goal
By Cameron Smith

On Friday night, Carson (Nev.) High placekicker Austin Pacheco did something at the high school level that no one has ever done in a competitive NFL game: He hit a field goal from 64 yards out.

As reported by the Associated Press and Carson City Nevada Appeal, Pacheco drilled a 64-yard field goal attempt with less than 30 seconds remaining to lift Carson to a 27-24 victory against Bishop Manogue (Nev.) School.
"I'm still in shock," Pacheco told the Nevada Appeal. "I knew it was good as soon as I hit it. The snap was perfect and the hold was perfect. The wind was blowing to the right and I played it perfectly.
"I wasn't surprised that coach let me try. He told me before the game that anything 65 and under we had a chance. We did what we could do."
Pacheco's kick stands as the second longest in Nevada state history, behind a 1985 68-yard effort from Reno (Nev.) High kicker Dirk Borgognone which stands as both the Nevada and national high school record. Pacheco's kick was also long enough to tie for the fourth longest field goal in high school football history.
Perhaps most strikingly, Pacheco's kick actually came from farther out than any NFL kicker has hit from in a competitive professional game. Raiders place kicker Sebastian Janikowski connected on a 63-yarder in his team's season opening victory against the Broncos to tie for the longest in league history, but that kick was still a full yard shorter than the one Pacheco hit on Friday.
While everyone on the Bishop Manogue sideline was stunned to see Pacheco line up to attempt the game-winning field goal, his own coach said he never doubted his decision to attempt the field goal then and there, rather than go for a first down with his team facing a fourth-and-13 situation.
"I don't know what to say," Carson coach Blair Roman told the Nevada Appeal. "You might have to wait a minute.
"That [field goal] broke the NFL record. I know it was off a tee and I know it was wind-aided, but it was a great kick. It was fourth-and-13, and we're not a fourth-and-13 team. I knew he had the leg to make it."

After the game ended, even Bishop Manogue coach Paul Mills was still struggling to come to grips with the fact that his squad had just lost out to a 64-yard field goal. In fact, he was still stunned that Carson even had the gumption to attempt one.
"We knew it was going to come down to the wire," said Mills. "One of the kids on the sideline said the tee's out there and I was thinking the tee from the previous kick. Then I'm looking out there and they're lining up for a field goal.
"The kid nailed it. My hat's off to him. That's a great job in a very pressure-filled situation. Wind-aided or not, he got the job done and there's a lot of variables when you're kicking that far."

Back