Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Horse Racing

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
There isn't a thread on horse racing, so I wondered if there are any who are horse racing fans and gamblers.
I go a few times a year to a a race book for some big races, like the Kentucky Derby, Travers, Breeders Cup, a few others irregulary not yearly and the Dubai.
Any favorite horses, jockeys, trainers any of you guys have?
Are you good at handicapping? using the Beyers or something else?
Bet on certain jockeys? for the dirt or turf?

Never been to the track nor bet on horse racing, but from what I hear its a ton of fun. Would love to hit Northville Downs or something sometime, sounds like a good time. Definitely on my list.

KC-

Not really a horse guy, but I do typically wager on the big races and go to the OTB once in awhile and sometimes hit up Penn National. When I go though, I'm clueless...typically picking names and odds. I never bet on harness racing...I've won some bets on the horses, but every time I've bet harness I've come empty so I've sworn them off. I'm definitely open to any insight that you can give though...

hey guys, I am not that good at handicapping, but still try when I go.
Probably, definitely have lost more than I won all these years, so that is why I go maybe 6 to 12 times a year tops.

Most of my info is from one long time friend I see most wednesday night cigars. He knows about track bias, beyer, all the horses, jockeys, and trainers, as well as all the Graded Stakes races past and present. Has books and monthly subscriptions to horse mags. he goes mostly once a week, with a guy we worked with 30/40 years back,
this guys gambles, horses, dogs, keno, harness, every single day.

When I get any tips I will pass them on, and anyone else that comes across the thread that has good info please add.

Slick, as for harness, all I/we know is certain drivers/riders do better than others at different tracks, some trotters do better on the 2 turns than one or something like that comparing say the Meadowlands to what they call a bull ring track. We usually do Pick 3's or DD's, sometimes go halfs on Pick 4's. It is mostly a guessing game with the driver or horse, we get to watch Meadowlands and Woodbine on tv when they have their season.

All we have on the tv is TVG, and most of their analysts are idiots, the few that know what they are talking about we take some info from them and add what we get off the XM/Sirius horse channel.
If you have the dish cable and network I think they have a channel called HRT. The difference is the larger, prestigious tracks compared to lower end tracks around the country.

My next trip will be the Breeders Cup.

SLICK said:
Im a Harness Racing guy KC.....Hazel Park , Windsor Raceway.

You have success with them Slick? Like I said I'm not real knowledgeable of the horses to begin with, but I'm not shitting when I say I have never hit a harness wager. I mean dumb luck has to get me at least one win, no?

Getting ready to go to Foxwoods for the Breeders Cup Nov.4/5th.
Will make my 'nitwit' bets and then do some handicapping with a few friends for the Stakes races. Daily Doubles, Pick 3's, and some Trifecta Boxes. Should be fun, just having to get my ass out of bed at 5AM should be interesting.

elrod said:
SLICK said:
Im a Harness Racing guy KC.....Hazel Park , Windsor Raceway.

You have success with them Slick? Like I said I'm not real knowledgeable of the horses to begin with, but I'm not shitting when I say I have never hit a harness wager. I mean dumb luck has to get me at least one win, no?

worked Security back in the early 90" at Windsor Raceway and the only success I ever had betting them was when we got tips from Drivers or Trainers.

Will be going to Foxwoods for the Breeders Cup on Saturday w/ friends.
More degenerate gambling buddies will be there for both days, begins on Friday.
I will make my 'nitwit bets' on the Saturday longshots 2 bucks to win on horses 20 to 1 / 99 to 1.
Will do some DD's, and small Pick 3's/4's.

Any of you follow this horse racing event yearly?

Successful day betting Breeders Cup Races 3 through 10.
Made about $300. 3 Longshots and a DailyDouble.
Had Afleet Again in the 3rd, Court Vision in the 10th, Drosselmeyer in the 11th, and the Double for the 5th and 6th races.
Doesn't always work out like today. It's always a better feeling to leave with more than you started with.

elrod said:
Nice work KC!

thanks elrod,
I was the only one to cash in winning tickets of the 4 of us that went.
and honestly, I'm not the handicapper that a couple of my buds are.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky and just bet a duece or a five spot on the longshots in these races. So many high quality horses per each race stakes winners go off at 20 or more to 1.
I did the same type of bets last year and came out ahead by just over $100.

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup-saturday-results-video-replays
Got this webvideo link of the races.
Court Vision paid off at 64 to 1.
with the winnings, it is time to order a nice box of cigars.

Back