Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Espn layoffs 100

Not a surprise.. They lose customers, they lose money - have to get it some way. Some of those people make way too much money for what they do. This isn't just ESPN but you don't need 3 people in the booth, you certainly don't need a field reporter.. Lots of money right there. You don't need a 2-hour show before each game.. NFL. We all love 'em but sports networks aren't all that anymore..

Look what the NFL Network did, they off'd their games to NBC/CBS and Twitter this past season. Very few Thursday night games were just on the NFL Network in '16.

With ESPN, it doesn't help there is a specialized channel for all sports now. Even college - BTN, Sec Network, Pac 10 Network etc. Just not enough to go around.

I haven't watched ESPN in years.. ESPN needs to get out of spending billions on games and just be what they used to be, sports news.

Last edited:
Their hockey coverage was always rubbish so I never bothered getting invested in them. Their commercials were far better than the product. At least with respect to hockey.

Their hockey coverage was always rubbish so I never bothered getting invested in them. Their commercials were far better than the product. At least with respect to hockey.

the majority of consumers don't care about hockey...so it was a good business decision. Their problem is they paid way too much for their NBA contract. I think $1.4B a year!

Another problem for them is social media and that almost everyone has access to instant highlights on smart phones. I remember when the best way to see highlights for any game (NFL, MLB, college) was Sportscenter. Now...the highlights are available instantly.

the majority of consumers don't care about hockey...so it was a good business decision. Their problem is they paid way too much for their NBA contract. I think $1.4B a year!

ESPN was a partowner of TSN in Canada which is the premier cable/satelite hockey news source. TSN uses the sportscenter moniker and the trademark ESPN soundboard.

A good business decision would have been corporate synergy.

Judging by their press release, they want to switch to the Fox News style. Maybe they will hire both Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly

I mean I don't watch it as much as in the past but I still use it. I probably use espn.com more then I did in the past but just for score and gamecast every now and then. They did over pay for the nba..I was bummed when they stopped hockey coverage.

Last edited:

Another problem for them is social media and that almost everyone has access to instant highlights on smart phones. I remember when the best way to see highlights for any game (NFL, MLB, college) was Sportscenter. Now...the highlights are available instantly.

They also paid a shit ton for MNF, $1.9 billion a year to broadcast 17 games, it's absolutely ludicrous. The sports bubble is bursting, these networks and leagues/player contracts cannot sustain this pace of growth while consumers have endless options of entertainment while they keep cutting the cord to cable and dish (I have and still watch a decent amount of sports).

ESPN is pretty awful in numerous facets of their coverage. Everyone rightfully rips sportscenter for their stupid formats and lack of coverage/TMZisms, but you hit the nail on head. I loved the highlights but they can't use that format in this day and age where every highlight is at people's fingertips online.

ESPN, like Yahoo - I don't get why they do this is basically an ad fest. Nothing like Yahoo though. Do I really need this "Do you have nail fungus." Or talking about Hall and Oats. Right on the main sports page.

I use NBCSports.com. I haven't see any bullshit ads yet.

ESPN, like Yahoo - I don't get why they do this is basically an ad fest. Nothing like Yahoo though. Do I really need this "Do you have nail fungus." Or talking about Hall and Oats. Right on the main sports page.

I use NBCSports.com. I haven't see any bullshit ads yet.

I don't mind ads so long as I'm not redirected to a separate page or they are taking up massive sections of the site.

Back