Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT your first game

SpartyNash

With it being summer and this board being totally dead I figured I'd start a random thread to get the football juices flowing a bit.

What was the first college football game you ever attended? Mine was in 2001 against Mizzou, it was rescheduled to the first week of December due to 9/11 the week of the original date. We absolutely destroyed them, won by like 40+ and clinched a bowl game too I believe with the win. Being that I was only 9 I remember very little other than going with my dad and it being cold/rainy the whole game if I recall correctly. I do somehow remember that Mizzou had a punt go for actual negative yardage which I don't think I've ever seen again.

Michigan fans are welcome to chime in as well for their first, or if yours was CMU, WMU, EMU etc that's fine too.

My first college game was @ Michigan. I was probably 8 or 9 years old. We had really shitty nose bleed seats and I remember people were smoking weed behind us. At the time I didn't realize what it was. I was impressed with the size of the stadium but the game was pretty shitty since I could barely see what was going on.

My first college football game was actually an MSU game. 1989 Illinois @ MSU. Homecoming game. I was 9; Grandpa Michchamp took me to the game (he was a Michigan alum & fan, but lived in EL and went to MSU games for fun sometimes; and he knew Perles outside of football).

I remember a low scoring sloppy game, with MSU getting a late lead after a painfully slow drive, and then Jeff George leading Illinois on a game-winning drive to win it with almost no time left. I remembered the score as 10-7, but I just double-checked wikipedia and it was 14-10. Both teams were actually good as well that year (Illinois finished 2nd in the Big Ten @ 10-2 overall & Jeff George was taken #1 overall in the draft; MSU was tied for 3rd @ 8-4.

I think my second college game was another MSU home loss, this time to Iowa... (checks wikipedia: yep, that was 1990). Didn't go to my first Michigan game until '92 (blowout win against OkSt.)

Mine I guess would have September 18, 1971.

I was still 10 years old. My dad was in a doctoral program so he was able to get student tickets.

Michigan rolled Virginia 56-0.

It was a good Michigan team with a number of defensive players who went to the NFL. The offense revolved around All American tailback Billy Taylor.

The team went undefeated during the regular season but lost to Stanford 13-12 in the Rose Bowl.

My first college football game was actually an MSU game. 1989 Illinois @ MSU. Homecoming game. I was 9; Grandpa Michchamp took me to the game (he was a Michigan alum & fan, but lived in EL and went to MSU games for fun sometimes; and he knew Perles outside of football).

I remember a low scoring sloppy game, with MSU getting a late lead after a painfully slow drive, and then Jeff George leading Illinois on a game-winning drive to win it with almost no time left. I remembered the score as 10-7, but I just double-checked wikipedia and it was 14-10. Both teams were actually good as well that year (Illinois finished 2nd in the Big Ten @ 10-2 overall & Jeff George was taken #1 overall in the draft; MSU was tied for 3rd @ 8-4.

I think my second college game was another MSU home loss, this time to Iowa... (checks wikipedia: yep, that was 1990). Didn't go to my first Michigan game until '92 (blowout win against OkSt.)

Given the results with you in attendance I think we may have to bar you from attending all future games at Spartan stadium

First game was @MSU. The school my brother attended, 1982 I believe. I was 16-17 and don't remember I thing about the game. Well one thing, a guy in front of us got totally bombed and fell on top of my mom..

Given the results with you in attendance I think we may have to bar you from attending all future games at Spartan stadium

No problemo!

I actually haven't been back to Spartan Stadium since that Iowa game in '90.

I don't remember much other than it was a Notre Dame game - my dad, his brothers and dad are all ND alums so I grew up going to ND games. I also recall going to a couple Bowling Green games as a young kid - we lived nearby in Perrysburg, OH for a couple years. We didn't move to Michigan until I was 8 and I didn't go to my first MSU home game until college but I was at every home game plus every at ND and at UofM for about 14 years straight. MC's first game was my sophomore year - I can't remember the guys name but a few years later I played pool against one of Jeff George's WR's at a bar in Chicago. He was wearing an obnoxious Citrus Bowl ring which was how we got to talking about it. He said George was a total maniac.

October 28, 1972. Michigan 42, Minnesota 0. I remember Dave Brown returning an INT for a TD.

Last edited:

Growing up in Illinois Jeff George was a "big deal". The guy had possibly the greatest cannon arm ive seen at the college level.

I was 10 or 11 (1985ish) and It was an illinois game. Illinois got beaten handily by someone. There was some guy smoking cigs nonstop and I was really irritated. I dont rememeber much :)

Last edited:
I was 10 or 11 (1985ish) and It was an illinois game. Illinois got beaten handily by someone. There was some guy smoking cigs nonstop and I was really irritated. I dont rememeber much :)

I thought you grew up in Chicago? Did you actually grow up downstate?

Back