Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Skiers

cheeno

Any skiers on the board? Where is the best place to ski? East coast/West coast/ Michigan?

I'm thinking about heading up to Boyne the fist sign of snow.

cheeno said:
Any skiers on the board? Where is the best place to ski? East coast/West coast/ Michigan?

I'm thinking about heading up to Boyne the fist sign of snow.

I used to ski, but I haven't been in about... jesus... it's been 7 years.

I learned to ski in the Midwest. The last time I was on the slopes was in Utah; went to Snowbird and Alta. Both kicked my ass. I was out of practice, and the length of the runs on legit mountains, compared to the hills you have around the midwest, wore me out. I was also not used to the steeper grades.

The places around metro Detroit (Mt Holly, Pine Knob) are terrible. Boyne and/or Crystal Mt. up north were better. I liked Crystal because it was never as crowded, but also not as rowdy as boyne.

In college we skied Blue Mountain in Ontario which was even better. It's a drive though... basically halfway to Toronto, and then due north through the great white wilderness until you hit Georgian Bay. Not much more vertical than Boyne, but had much more range than Boyne. pretty big resort for the midwest/canada.

I've never been to the East Coast, i.e. Vermont.

it's tough to get out now. People in Chicago really don't ski. the nearest hills are in Wisconsin, and they suck

Thanks for the info. I might change my first snow of the year destination to Blue Mountain then, I'm not too worried about a few hours here or there. The East coast is pretty good but can get icy as hell if the weather is bad. I've done most of my skiing in Vermont/Quebec exclusively. The only place out West I've skied is Whistler/Blackcomb in British Columbia which was fantastic. I agree its tough to get out and ski living in the midwest, so I make a point of it every year to take a ski week around Christmas time.

I've heard Whistler/Blackcomb is the best in North America from a few people.

and yeah, I guess Blue Mountain wasn't really too much farther to drive than Detroit to Boyne/Crystal. I assume you're coming from Detroit. One word of caution: those rural Canadian highways on the route are not marked well. We made a couple 20 minute detours...

Yeah from Detroit. Will have gps ready.

Back