Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MMA

mhughes0021

Post anything mma related. Have fun watching the fights tonight!

Tito Ortiz and his lisp got bombed by Rashad Evans(who went to MSU) last night.. Also Fedor I think is done.. Got destroyed by essentially a middleweight in Hendo that's 6 years older than him... Looks like he's going to go out like Wanderlei and Iceman did and that's just sad..

That is the best shape I have ever seen Rashad in. The title fight with him should be good no matter who he fights.

I just saw pictures but he did look good from the little i saw...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I just saw pictures but he did look good from the little i saw...

espn plays the highlights on video.

Rashad looked good but in reality he beat guy that has done nothing but lose for the last 3 years and just happened to pull out a win last month. Nice fight for him comming off the layoff.

I dont think anyone beats Jones.

Fedor just doesnt have a well rounded MMA game. Theres numerous things he should have done to ensure Hendo didnt slip out there and get his back...and those things are fairly elementary MMA basics. He just goes out there and tries to win on athleticism and strength alone and its just not going to work these days.

mhughes0021 said:
Fedor just doesnt have a well rounded MMA game. Theres numerous things he should have done to ensure Hendo didnt slip out there and get his back...and those things are fairly elementary MMA basics. He just goes out there and tries to win on athleticism and strength alone and its just not going to work these days.
I don't think anyone has considered Fedor "athletic", but like Axe Murder he relied in his strength to win.. He was a fairly well rounded fighter back in his day, but that's few and far between these days...

Free fights over the weekend ended up being a great card!

Ben henderson smoked Jim Miller.
Nice retirement win for Lytle over Hardy.

Huge move for UFC/Dana White!...

UFC, Fox agree to seven-year dealEmailPrintComments234Associated Press
LOS ANGELES -- The UFC has made it to network prime-time.

Mixed martial arts' dominant promotional company announced a landmark seven-year deal with Fox on Thursday, putting four UFC shows on the main network each year and an extensive array of programming on its cable networks. The UFC will become a prominent feature on FX, with live fights on most Friday nights and a revamped version of "The Ultimate Fighter," the UFC's popular reality show.

UFC President Dana White said the deal is the biggest step yet in MMA's transformation from a banned fringe sport into a mainstream entertainment property. The UFC already is wildly popular among young men, but Fox will put the sport in front of an enormous new audience with its first regular slot on a broadcast network.

"This is what I always wanted, what I always thought was the pinnacle for us," White said. "This partnership is going to take this sport to the next level. Those people that thought I was a lunatic, saying this was going to be the biggest sport in the world, this is the next step."

Fox will allow the UFC to control its own production, a longtime stumbling block in White's negotiations with network TV over the past several years. Although the UFC is still in charge of the product, White said he wants "to make a fresh start" in every aspect of UFC's programming, working with Fox to improve even its pay-per-view broadcasts.

Fox Sports Chairman David Hill said the network won't have trouble selling network advertising for a violent, high-testosterone sport that's still viewed with an arched eyebrow by much of the public and media.

"TV is all about the next big thing, and that's what we're here for," Hill said. "We would not have gone into this deal if we had not canvassed a large pool of advertisers ... and found they were behind it."

Hill also had no problem leaving the UFC in charge of its own broadcasts.

"I think their production is first-class, and I doubt there's anything we could bring," he said.

The UFC's first prime-time fights on Fox will air Nov. 12. White is still working out details of the show, which likely will be held at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Networks have flirted with MMA for most of the past decade, and CBS has aired cards by the EliteXC and Strikeforce promotions in recent years to mixed success. Strikeforce fights still air on Showtime, CBS' premium cable network, but the UFC bought the Strikeforce promotion earlier this year, absorbing its only significant competitor.

CBS never had access to the UFC's peerless roster of fighters, instead building its prime-time shows around glorified bouncer Kimbo Slice and now-faded stars Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson. White wouldn't say which UFC stars will appear on prime-time shows, but UFC champions Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre and Jon "Bones" Jones all could get the widest television audiences and biggest paychecks of their careers starting next year.

White declined to reveal the deal's total value, saying, "nobody gets rich doing a TV deal except the NFL. But if we do things the right way, it should be huge for us, for the fighters, for Fox, for everybody."

"The Ultimate Fighter" will move from Spike to FX next spring for its 15th edition, and the show will evolve from a taped reality show into a live sports program with reality-TV elements, according to FX Executive Vice President Chuck Saftler. The show's competitive fights will air live on Friday nights, and its episodes will be filmed and released within a week -- much faster than in its previous incarnation, which starts its 14th cycle on Spike this fall.

Most of the UFC programming currently airing on Versus also will move to FX, as will the behind-the-scenes reality shows leading up to major fights. Fuel, a lower-profile Fox cable channel, also will broadcast UFC programming.

Although the four Fox shows are the centerpiece of the deal, the bulk of the UFC's programming will be on FX in its nearly 100 million homes. FX President John Landgraf and Saftler have built a powerful lineup of critically acclaimed and highly rated dramas and comedies over the past decade, but the network has spent years looking for sports programming to complement its scripted lineup, dabbling with NASCAR and college football in recent years.

"The UFC has a certain sensibility and tonality that falls right in line with that brand that we've built," Saftler said. " We're also able to keep our programming message simple now: You can see UFC fighting live on a Friday night on FX."

Saftler actually sees a natural fit for the UFC among viewers of FX's cerebral dramas, like "Justified" and "Sons of Anarchy," and raucous comedies like "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "Archer."

"There's a great intelligence to the fighters, how they have to adapt and adjust and train," Saftler said. "This isn't just dumbed-down punching. This is really a sport with well-conditioned athletes who have to put great study into their opponents. This is both brain and brawn working in the octagon."

And while weekend programming has long been a problem for FX and most major cable networks, Saftler said, "sports are the one thing that always seems to break through."

Saftler believes recent flat ratings of UFC programming on Spike, a division of MTV Networks, reflect more on the UFC's former network than its product.

"Spike has really let themselves become one-dimensional," Saftler said. "The only thing they've had is UFC. They've in essence known they were letting UFC go for quite a while. I guess that becomes less of a priority as they try to figure out what their next priority will be. They'll find a way to make that network relevant in a different way now, but we see this as just a great complement to an already robust lineup of programming."

Nice card this weekend. Alwasy a great time when youre watching Silva fight to see what hes going to do next....preview copied and pasted from espn.

Anderson Silva makes weightEmailPrintComments8By Josh Gross
ESPN.com
Archive UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Yushin Okami, his challenger Saturday, made weight for UFC 134 without incident at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

The five-round title fight, Silva's first contest on home soil since 2003, marks UFC's return to Brazil following a 13-year absence.

The main event is a rematch of a 2006 bout which Okami (26-5) won by disqualification after Silva (30-4) illegally kicked him. Silva has rattled off 14 straight victories since the loss to Okami, and is widely regarded as mixed martial arts' pound-for-pound best fighter.

Weighing in to the strong audible support of his countrymen, Silva, 36, looked fit at 184 pounds. The 30-year-old Japanese challenger appeared to be in tremendous shape at 183 pounds.

"I'm going to do my best, and I'm going to take home the belt," Okami said to boos from the partisan crowd.

Tweet, tweet
Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join

Too bad, I was actually rooting for Okami, but knew he basically had no chance.. I really would like to see someone knock spider down a few pegs.. As for you previous post, Dana White is an amazing business man!!! Someone get that guy to replace Gary Bettman!! Also good too see Nog back up.. I think Forrest Griffin is done for awhile as well..

Tonight Rampage gets dominated by Jon Jones... Then again I don't think anyone was surprised by this.. Cannot wait for an Evans vs Jones matchup.. I think Evans and Machida are the only two LHWs that have a legit shot against him..

I would Love to see Jones blast through the light heavyweight division. I have always been most excited by watching dominant fighters as opposed to a revolving door of champions. Watching Liddel, Silva, St. Pierre, Hughes, crush all comers is great. When they do get beat, it makes it that much more exciting.

Couture beating Liddel, Serra beating GSP, were amazing moments. I love Liddel and GSP but I couldn't help but get pumped for the other guy.

I want to see them [dominant fighters] continue to crush the opposition, but also to be upset. Either way, it is an exciting fight for me. (Is that weird?)

Ya let Jones run the table until Silva gets the balls to go up and fight him or Jones gets the balls to fight heavyweight. Machida would be an interesting match up though. Evans doesnt stand a chance but the storyline is kinda cool....the whole ex training partner/teammate/BFF.

Rashad Evans vs Jon Jones tonight. Should be a good fight. I think Evans can win if he controls the fight with wrestling and avoids the big shot.

Was pulling for Rashad, but he had nothing to counter those hellbows. You could tell he wanted to counter but Jones is so unorthodox that the counter chances were few and far between.

Back