Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Boxing thread..

tigers99888

Yeah I know it's a fairly irrelevant sport these days, but I grew up watching the fights on PPV and Joe Louis when I was a kid.. Pretty much the only competitive classes are the weights Welter and lower.. The fact that there's no legit U.S heavyweights and the confusion in divisions where there is no unified title(IBF, WBC etc) are the main reasons boxing is pretty much dead today.. I guess this will basically be a Pac-Man/Floyd update and I don't expect this to be active.. Mightest well make this thread anyways to give it a shot...

Tigers99888, I get the feeling we are near the same age.
I used to watch the friday night fights with my dad back in the 50's and early 60's.

I met Rocky Marciano way back after we moved to boston from Detroit, he was retired by then, and he lived across the street from a relative in Brockton for a couple of years.

the old middle weights or in/near that weight class, Basilio, Fullmer. Got interested again with Ali, and all the heavyweights back then.

Then Marvin Hagler, who I saw on two occasions in person, restaurant and shopping plaza, always friendly to the public. Knockout punch with both hands. We all think he got gypped in the fight with leonard, the one with hearns probably had 12 rounds worth of action in what was it 3 rounds?
All of us here also like Roberto Duran at his early weight class.
The two Klitschko bros are big strong somewhat technical fighters if thats a good word to describe them.
Pacquiao sp, is nonstop punches from what I have watched.

I will check this thread to see what is going on.

I haven't watched much of the MMA or any of those type, not that I don't like, just haven't given it that much of a chance yet.

Pop always said the best were Rocky M, Joe Louis, pound for pound Sugar Ray Robinson. Mentioned Archie Moore several times as well.

Actually I'm mid 20s.. My grandfather and me used to watch boxing back in the 90s when I was a kid.. Back in those days it was the Bernard Hopkins, Golden Boy, Roy Jones Jr, Felix Trinidad and Sugar Shane Mosely... There were decent heavyweights at the time like Tua, Iki, Moorer, Tyson, Holyfield(was a dominant LHW fighter), and Riddick Bo.. That was basically the era I remembered.. By no means the greatest, but still a decent amount of competition unlike today.. Also That's awesome you got to meet Mavelous Hagler, he was a true beast..

well scratch that thought.
I can't remember if Tapia fought back in the 90's or later, and more recent of the lower weight classes, is Vic Darchinyan, but now he is mid 30's.
Would love to see Pacquiao and maywether go at it.

Seems like the Phillipines are bringing up other up and comers other than Pac- Man like Donaire for instance.. You also have some potential superstars like Andre Ward and Timothy Bradley.. Yeah, I think we all want to see Pac-Man vs Mayweather fight... Too bad Floyd got so much bad press lately.. He wants Pac-Man to be subjected to a random drug test and I don't blame him, moving through 8 different weight classes is somewhat of a red flag I would think... But even if he's was juicing that's still a hell of an accomplishment...

tigers99888 said:
Seems like the Phillipines are bringing up other up and comers other than Pac- Man like Donaire for instance.. You also have some potential superstars like Andre Ward and Timothy Bradley.. Yeah, I think we all want to see Pac-Man vs Mayweather fight... Too bad Floyd got so much bad press lately.. He wants Pac-Man to be subjected to a random drug test and I don't blame him, moving through 8 different weight classes is somewhat of a red flag I would think... But even if he's was juicing that's still a hell of an accomplishment...

All the weight classes now seem to be every 3/4 pounds, so even with the jumping of 8 weight classes, back in the old days seems that there was more weight to each specific one before jumping up or down.
idk, the drug test for pacquio might have some legitimacy to it, or something else is going on, iirc there was also mention that mayweather wanted a larger share of the purse? Maybe that was settled, I don't remember. I recognize donair, and hopkins is still a bad ass. Now thinking back a few months Agbeko?
Looks like Pacquiao will have another go with marquez so says espn.

Marquez would be a good test for Pac-Man indeed... There previous two fights were very close, and this would be somewhat of a measuring stick to compare him to Floyd whom beat JMM by UD.. And your correct there was somewhat an issue to the Purse sharing, but the main issue was that Floyd wanted Pac to have a blood test, and Pac declined.. The deal fell through because Pac wasn't willing to have a random blood test within 30 days of the fight... Mayweather then wanted 14 day but Pac did wanted a 24 day(he figured a blood test would weaken him near the fight)... Also Pac was willing to have a blood test right after the fight.. After that it just got messy from there.. Hopefully this happens one day though..

Friday night fights back in the 70' s wer awesome. The Golden era of boxing. Ali vs. Frazier and later on with Sugar Ray vs Duran (No Mas, No Mas). You got to see Forman, Detroits own Tommy Hearns and Hagler and a whole bunch of greats. All on TV for free. No 60-80 bucks like nowadays. They even had 15 rounds back then. Not the same these days.

You dont bet against Mayweather...ever. But Ortiz is no slouch. Ive said this so many times before but ill say it again....i think Ortiz may be able to atleast hit Mayweather. Problem always is being able to hit him often. Ortiz has some good knock out power....enough to keep me interested in this fight even if he shows he wont be able to hit him consistently in the early rounds.

I've been a boxing fan all my life. Being from Grand Rapids I am well aware of what a piece of crap Floyd Mayweather is, but inside the ring he's as good as there has ever been. If Pacman agrees to take the test, they will fight, it's as simple as that and always has been.

Back