Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Arenas Waived

Man, Orlando's owner is dedicated to winning. $62mil down the drain.

Not that they would have gotten much out of Arenas, but still...

Arenas reminds me of AI...only done because his opportunities have faded...his antics have worn out his welcome from good teams.

Arenas going downhill was all about style of play. He lost his explosiveness with the knee injuries. As a relatively poor shooter that lived at the free throw line (with no other real skills), the injuries completely destroyed his career. He didn't just wear out his welcome, he is incapable of being a good NBA player anymore.

The fact the Magic even picked him up was dumb from the get-go. There isn't a situation out there where a non-shooting threat that can't drive anymore is a good player, especially since he's always been a terrible defender.

Supposedly Miami wants him to be the back up PG there.

I think you're a bit too harsh on him personally. Not a fan but to say all he could do was shoot free throws isn't a wise attack. He shot 35% or better from 3 in 7 of 10 seasons, and has averaged as much as 29 ppg in a season while shooting 37% from distance. 6 assists, 4 boards n 2 steals.

For his career he averages 21 ppg, 1.5 steals, about 5.5 assists, about 5.5 ft makes, 35% from 3, n 42% overall.

By no means is he a generation player but a player with no other skills is an odd way of describing him I think.

I suppose I was a bit harsh saying he had no other skills, but I firmly believe his stats greatly overstate them. He was never an adept passer, he just had the ball in his hands all the time so he had considerably more opportunity (think AI). His long range shooting was decent but by no means great. 35% is only league average. A good shooter would consistently hit around 40%.

The FT comment I still stand by. Arenas made his living there. His elite first step and body control allowed him to create a lot of contact on the drive and get whistles. But, that's the only way he could be passably efficient. His TS% was only above league average in his highest FTA/G seasons. Like you said, he was only about 42% overall for his career, that's terribly low for a supposedly good shooter and scorer.

Arenas was a very very talented player, for sure. But, his skills were incredibly reliant on his athleticism, which is gone now. A 42% shooter (worse now that he can't beat defenders to the rim) that doesn't draw free throws in bunches is a poor scorer. Add in the lack of any defensive ability, very low PG aptitude, questionable shot selection, and an average at best outside shot, and you really don't have even a decent NBA player anymore. I don't hate Arenas as much as say AI (though that is considerably caused by his stint with the Pistons), but so many of those stopgap wings stars from the end of MJ's career to Lebron-Wade's resurgence are lacking in retrospect. Most were chuckers, getting huge point totals off huge shot totals rather than being really great at putting the ball in the bucket. Most didn't play defense or couldn't. By the end of their careers, you realized they were overrated, big on stats but small when it came to really leading a team anywhere.

Beez said:
Arenas reminds me of AI...only done because his opportunities have faded...his antics have worn out his welcome from good teams.
AI didn't bomb his knee and get injured over and over like Arenas did.. So didn't RIP, but he's significantly slowed down just like Arenas...

Back