Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

WWE

I used to watch from the time I was a kid in the 50's to the late 80's early 90's. Not as much those later years, with all the soap opera and steroids.
It was good entertainment and lots of rip roaring laughs.

Killer Kowalski is my all-time favorite, got to meet him years ago on Newbury St. near Kenmore Square, what a hulking man even as he walked down the sidewalk. I called him by his real name of Wladek walked up to him and said hi shook his hand. He was always a very friendly person with the fans either in person or on the old talk show they had on a radio station back in the 70's.

Don Leo Jonathan a 6'9" 300 pounder that could lie on his back and do flip ups and stand. Very agile and strong.

George "The Animal" Steele, was very entertaining, green tongue, and the most hirsute person I have seen. "Hey Yoooouuuuu".
Mentioned in another thread here a poster had him as a teacher.

Nikolai Volkoff crazy Russian who in real life was a Croation. Used to laugh at the shriek he made when he stomped away.

These guys are all either retired or passed on. But gave me lots of laughs.
Hulk Hogan was good for awhile, and a few of the others from up until I watched.

Always liked the "bad guy" wrestler, and notice how all have a "wrestling hold or move" that is their signature in winning by pin or submission.

Favorite managers were Captain Lou Albano, The Grand Wizard, and Freddie Blassie.

Nice picks Kaline. Least you didn't say like Rick Rude or someone.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Nice picks Kaline. Least you didn't say like Rick Rude or someone.

oh no one like that.

What was almost as entertaining were the "interviews" with the bad guys.
Kowalski used to rip a yellow pages phone book in half to show the strength in his hands and what would happen to a wrestler when he put his "Claw Hold" on the opponent, with a 'sinister face' and deep growling voice.
Ken Patera gave good 'interviews', as did 'the Animal", the Shiek, Volkoff,
"Super Star" Billy Graham, the Bushwhackers, lol.

Hulk was good too. telling the little 'hulksters' to take their vitamins.

True story, I usually went to the old Boston Garden with a couple of friends when Kowalski was wrestling and it was usually against Bruno Sammartino. We all knew the outcome of the match before they wrestled, especially against bruno, anyways, this is near 40 years ago when you were never frisked or asked what's in the bag? We brought tomatoes to throw at the ring and at bruno in particular. I threw and the tomato knuckled low and hit a cop in the back of the neck!!!! He was bullshit and was looking all over. Needless to say we stopped after that throw.

Yea the Interviews were a kick. Nice that is pretty funny. I was at an event with my buddy and the Rock threw his elbow pad when doing the "Peoples' Elbow" and it hit someone's bottle of Mt. Dew and the bottle hit my buddy in the face lol

I never rooted for the crowd favorites, the baby faces like hogan, rock, ect. My guys were SCOTT HALL, DIESEL, STONE COLD, TEXAS TORNADO, AND TEST. My fav tag team was LOD.

I was always a fan of Abdullah The Butcher. Cactus Jack, Terry Funk. They were old school guys, oh yeah I almost forgot Bruiser Brody.

tsmith7559 said:
Bobo Brazil
Pampero Firpo
Haystack Calhoun
Animal
Hulk

TSmith, There's a few names from the past and the Golden Age of Wrestling.
Bobo Brazil and the coco butt. lol
Back in late 1958 dad took me to the Boston Garden to see Kowalski wrestle Lou Thesz. Also on the card was Haystacks Calhoun against Don Leo Jonathan.
Once or twice Haystacks was body slammed, iirc a wrestler with the last name of Nielsen, and maybe Sammartino.
Hulk slammed Andre if memory is right.
The first 'Shiek' used to chase after people in airports who mocked and yelled at him for using a pencil to gash an opponents forehead.
Used to like the Valiant Brothers too.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Who are your favorite 5 wrestlers of all-time?

1. Roddy Rowdy Piper
2. StoneCold Steve Austin
3. The Ultimate Warrior
4. Hulk Hogan
5. Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

I also forgot to mention Brett Hart. I can't believe I forgot about him. I used to love when Abdullah would take the fork out of his trunks and gouge the shit out of people. Do you guys know that till this day Abdullah was never actually pinned? All of the losses he had were by count out. I also liked Bruiser Brody and that big fucking chain he used to swing around, I actually think he really was psychotic.......lol

Stone Cold was great as well. I don't really get into the stuff now-a-days, but the 80s after wrestle-mania started and the 90s were crazy good.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Hulk
Million Dollar Man
Rock
Jeff Hardy
Macho Man

Did u root for Hulk when he wrestled those other guys? I was at Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania in Toronto. Best moment in WWE history I believe.

michiganct said:
I never rooted for the crowd favorites, the baby faces like hogan, rock, ect. My guys were SCOTT HALL, DIESEL, STONE COLD, TEXAS TORNADO, AND TEST. My fav tag team was LOD.

Stone Cold was one of the biggest crowd favourites ever in the WWE.

my god you're a dolt.

Back