Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sit, stand, kneel, or do whatever you like for the National Anthem

Michchamp

do a happy dance, even. it's a free country.

if PC Conservatives won't ever watch football again because you don't do what they think you should, great! more beer and nachos for the rest of us!

do a happy dance, even. it's a free country.

if PC Conservatives won't ever watch football again because you don't do what they think you should, great! more beer and nachos for the rest of us!

sure...you are free to do whatever you want...but there are consequences for your actions.

Uh, what? This isn't them infringing on the rights of other people. This is a silent protest, no one is getting harmed.

Well tough. They need to get over it.

Consequences and "people get offended" are two very different things.

Well tough. They need to get over it.

Consequences and "people get offended" are two very different things.

No, they need to buck up, and show respect for those that serve our country. You know the people who fight so that these players can make millions and go back to their gated communities.

Im sure there are lots of people on "all sides" that think when they are offended there should be consequences.

Ah. So because they were talented enough to make money in NFL, they should just keep their head down and shut up. Do their job, make those owners and the sport money, be the bell cows.

By the way, people fight for our country so people can have the freedoms to do things like protest.

It's not 1780 anymore.

Last edited:
No, they need to buck up, and show respect for those that serve our country. You know the people who fight so that these players can make millions and go back to their gated communities.

Im sure there are lots of people on "all sides" that think when they are offended there should be consequences.

Whoa, the National Anthem is not about respecting the military/veterans. You're trying to make this about something it is not, it in no way disrespects anyone who served or serves. When they play the national anthem at the Olympic games, do you think all the athletes from those other countries are thinking of the people serving in their countries military at that time?

Also, "the people who fight" are not the reason these players make millions or live in gated communities.

This was weak.

In addition to that Thumb, I think it's personally dumb as shit we play the anthem at every sporting event. I don't know why or how that was determined, but it's time to stop.

Save it for national olympic and other national sporting events. Not each freaking game.

they aren't harming anyone...but they are offending many.

go to your safe space, Nancy

good point. Adolf Hitler wanted to invade the US and prevent our professional football players from making millions of dollars. He wrote about it in Mein Kampf. the least these ingrates can do is stand for the national anthem, because that's something all veterans care about, & not just some bullshit Fox News is shoveling.

Whoa, the National Anthem is not about respecting the military/veterans. You're trying to make this about something it is not, it in no way disrespects anyone who served or serves. When they play the national anthem at the Olympic games, do you think all the athletes from those other countries are thinking of the people serving in their countries military at that time?

Also, "the people who fight" are not the reason these players make millions or live in gated communities.

This was weak.

I don't know where to even begin with this. I understand that we live in a world were everything can be twisted to fit our agenda. Regardless, the National Anthem, while played for patriotism and a "salute' to our nation, has been a standing symbol of the military. So, yes I take it as a disrespect to those that serve. I have no issue with anyone protesting, protest your heart out, doesn't affect my life, so go for it. But being blatantly disrespectful is another issue entirely.

Yes, these people make millions because of our military. The US military has protected our way of life and allowed for the freedoms we have. Since we have these freedoms, The Browns can protest how they see fit (Browns Fan by the way), Tom Brady can make millions and go to the White House, and I can have a pointless conversation with you via the inter-webs before I go to work to serve the community in which I reside. (at least thats what I tell myself)

good point. Adolf Hitler wanted to invade the US and prevent our professional football players from making millions of dollars. He wrote about it in Mein Kampf. the least these ingrates can do is stand for the national anthem, because that's something all veterans care about, & not just some bullshit Fox News is shoveling.

For the record, I avoid the new as much as possible. All it does is piss me off, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, ESPN, I avoid them all if possible. I do watch the local news, but even the weather man/girl is spewing fake news.

Last edited:
It's funny, because I honestly haven't heard a single military person who has been asked about that say, "Yes, I'm offended that they aren't standing." The overwhelming consensus in interviews and people I've asked in person have given some form of, "That's why we fight, so people can do that."

How are they being blatantly disrespectful?? It's a silent freaking protest at a sporting contest. Give me a break.

I stand for the anthem at any event it's played at, remove the hat, yadda yadda.

But I don't understand why the fuck we do it at domestic sporting events. It makes no sense to me. Why do we choose to honor troops, flags, and songs at something that isn't involving other countries or representing anything military? Granted, I think nationalism is just fancy form of tribalism, so I'm obviously a bit biased. But still, it just seems like false patriotism, similiar to the false rage I see white people showing for minorities.

Last edited:
I stand for the anthem at any event it's played at, remove the hat, yadda yadda.

But I don't understand why the fuck we do it at domestic sporting events. It makes no sense to me. Why do we choose to honor troops, flags, and songs at something that isn't involving other countries or representing anything military? Granted, I think nationalism is just fancy form of tribalism, so I'm obviously a bit biased. But still, it just seems like false patriotism, similiar to the false rage I see white people showing for minorities.

it's just straight up propaganda. it only seems more innocent because we've grown so accustomed to it it. it's blatant war (and bloated defense budget) justifying bullshit.

it's just straight up propaganda. it only seems more innocent because we've grown so accustomed to it it. it's blatant war (and bloated defense budget) justifying bullshit.

Reminds me of the look on the face of some family members when I showed them that the Pledge of Allegiance wasn't adopted until the 40s and that 'under God' wasn't in the words until the 50s. They argued it had been around when America claimed independence from Britain. We had a really, really heated argument about it. One quick Google and that room got sooo quiet.

they aren't harming anyone...but they are offending many.

You are kind playing into the snowflakes' hand.

There is no Constitutional protection from being offended by Milo Yianopolous, not from Ann Coulter, nor from Bill Maher or Jerry Seinfeld, and also not from Kolin Kappernack.

Free speech is free speach.

Private companies and organizations - like the NFL- aren't the government. They're allowed to regulate the behavior of the people they pay; and if the people they pay don't like it, they can go get another job.

You are kind playing into the snowflakes' hand.

There is no Constitutional protection from being offended by Milo Yianopolous, not from Ann Coulter, nor from Bill Maher or Jerry Seinfeld, and also not from Kolin Kappernack.

Free speech is free speach.

Private companies and organizations - like the NFL- aren't the government. They're allowed to regulate the behavior of the people they pay; and if the people they pay don't like it, they can go get another job.

believe me, I'm with you. What I meant was they are offending a bunch of people so they might have to pay the consequences of their actions (like not having a job like Kaepernick)

they aren't offending me...I feel they are free to do whatever they want...but I don't want to hear people bitch when NFL teams don't sign them because they are a distraction.

How's that kneeling working out for Colin Kaepernick?

I don't know where to even begin with this. I understand that we live in a world were everything can be twisted to fit our agenda. Regardless, the National Anthem, while played for patriotism and a "salute' to our nation, has been a standing symbol of the military. So, yes I take it as a disrespect to those that serve. I have no issue with anyone protesting, protest your heart out, doesn't affect my life, so go for it. But being blatantly disrespectful is another issue entirely.

Yes, these people make millions because of our military. The US military has protected our way of life and allowed for the freedoms we have. Since we have these freedoms, The Browns can protest how they see fit (Browns Fan by the way), Tom Brady can make millions and go to the White House, and I can have a pointless conversation with you via the inter-webs before I go to work to serve the community in which I reside. (at least thats what I tell myself)

Sorry, was at work so couldn't respond right away.

Now I can, and I'll start with this to the bold type of your post: Horseshit.

I respect the men and women who have served/serve our country in the military....make no mistake about that, but you are out of your fucking mind if you think that's any reason we have the NFL and million dollar athletes, celebs, etc. Freedom in this country has not been threatened by outside forces for well over 100 years. No nation on earth could or can invade us and take these freedoms away. Our military does have a rich history of fighting for freedom though, such as in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, but it hasn't been our freedom at stake for a long time, because that is secure at least to the point that the only way it can be taken away is by the officials we elected, who could do it by passing laws, in which case the military could do nothing about it anyways.

So you can believe that protesting players are disrespecting the people of the armed services if you like, you can even believe that without our military there would be no millionaire players or sporting events, and you can believe that the moon is made of cheese, because that's your right, even when you're wrong.

Back