Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

Just looked at 24x7...safe to say we're out of it. How in the world do you pick Xavier over MSU. I just don't get it. It sucks losing recruits to Kentucky but at least you know there is a good reason they picked them. The facilities, dorms, best chance at NBA. But a school like Xavier, what in the world do they have?

Lots if buzz about Xavier but I think izzo had an in home tonight. 24x7 switched to Oklahoma for tum tum a week before he committed too

Also, noy saying he's going to msu but don't expect a kid who already decommitted to let a lot of info leak

I saw that. Gives us a little more hope I guess.

This is a little off topic but I've been trying to convince everyone I know that Valentine will go down as one of the best players to ever play at MSU. Am I crazy or do you guys see it too? He can play any position except center probably. Rebounds really well, passing is incredible, his shot is decent, but above all his IQ is in my opinion as good as Draymonds.

Yeah, nobody but you sees that.

Unless by "one of the best ever" you mean top 100. Sure, I could see that.

Top 50?

Possibly, with a lot of improvement.

Top 25?

Highly doubt it.

Top 10?

No chance!

This look about right for where we're at right now?

picture.php

Last edited:
Yes that's about right, but that shows all players staying 4 years. I highly doubt we see Harris back, and I'm about 60 percent sure that Dawson will leave after this season too. So we might lose 4 of the 5 starters that's why this recruiting class is so important.

Yes that's about right, but that shows all players staying 4 years. I highly doubt we see Harris back, and I'm about 60 percent sure that Dawson will leave after this season too. So we might lose 4 of the 5 starters that's why this recruiting class is so important.

I'm really just trying to illustrate allocation and availability of year-over-year scholarships in the present. I agree on the kids that are likely leaving early, but we can't offer up scholarships until one is officially available.

I'll tweak it as things progress. Just noticed Nairn on there twice. Missing Javon Bess in that class. Fixed in this version.

picture.php

Last edited:
Also Kaminski had a injury redshirt so if I'm not mistaking he's basically a freshman now and will stay until 2016. I may be wrong though.

Dawson or not, that will be one offensively challenged roster in 2014 unless we can land a couple of the high level recruits still out there.

Dawson or not, that will be one offensively challenged roster in 2014 unless we can land a couple of the high level recruits still out there.

Agreed.

That's the double edged sword of having this 2013 roster. This year they have a chance to cut down the nets. But then Harris and Dawson are likely to go.

How can you effectively recruit 2 more 2014 kids unless/until they actually are gone and the scholarships are available?

By the time the scholarships are available, the kids you would have gone after will be committed elsewhere.

you can see why people are freaking out about 2014. we stand the chance of not having one 5 star on the roster if harris and dawson leave and as it stands right now we'd have more 3 stars than 4 stars

Oh man. Cant imagine us without Payne, Harris, Appling and Dawson. Next year has the potential for a season of we suck. We will still be very solid at guard, but we know little about Schilling and Kaminski, and Gauna might just never get to where we thought he could. That leaves Costello. God I hope we can pull in some of those big guys we will so desperately need.

That would be the least talented team since 2007 where we had to rely on Neitzel shooting the lights out and getting a solid freshman year out of Raymar Morgan who was higher ranked than anyone we've signed so far.

Isn't Kaminski suppose to be a REALLY good player? I remember the players were praising him last year in practice, Dawson went as far as saying that he's the best rebounder he's ever seen. I know practice doesn't translate to games (Byrd) but I'm excited to see him get some time this year. And if, a big if, Byrd can find his shot we might not be that bad in 2014.

Isn't Kaminski suppose to be a REALLY good player? I remember the players were praising him last year in practice, Dawson went as far as saying that he's the best rebounder he's ever seen. I know practice doesn't translate to games (Byrd) but I'm excited to see him get some time this year. And if, a big if, Byrd can find his shot we might not be that bad in 2014.

Kaminski is a good rebounder, but he's a better shooter. Just deadly from behind the arc.

The surprise player of camp so far is Gavin Schilling, just a much better athlete than anyone knew, he's ready to play right now and has a man's body.

Travis Trice or Denzell Valentine are being talked about as most improved.

I saw that about Schilling. Looks like he could make the center position a three-headed one. He's a chiseled 240 lbs. I had thought he was really skinny when they signed him. Was that wrong or has he been living in the weight room since then?

If Byrd can find his shot, not turn the ball over every other time he touches it, not get beat consistently on defense....

fyi, Cliff may or may not visit now. his mom said that she wasn't sure which is not a good sign

Looks like we have 12 kids on scholarship right now. Is that correct?

NCAA D1 basketball programs are allowed up to 13 scholarships I think. Correct?

Is there a reason we don't have a 13th kid on scholarship right now or another class of 2013 kid offered? Is there a scholarship tied up somehow that we can't use?

Edited to add: I just noticed Chapman was put on scholarship a few weeks back. Missed that.

But he's a Senior. Why don't we have another offer on someone for class of 2013?

Last edited:
Back