Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

Colorado transfer RB Jarek Broussard visiting MSU at the end of the month. Wow, was the PAC 12 player of the year in 2020. Would have 3 years of eligibility. Same shiftiness as Walker, but maybe not the same pure speed.

The thought is that MSU leads for him, a RB room of Broussard, Jalen Berger, Collins, Simmons, and Joiner (HB) is really good. I'd expect a Eaglin and/or Prim to transfer.

Last edited:
Ameer Speed, 6-3, 210 lb CB/S from Georgia has transferred to MSU as a grad transfer, he's on campus now and enrolled in classes. Will compete to start and at minimum be in the rotation. Williams and he could be a really nice pair of CBs.

He started the first 3 games of the season for Georgia last season, but then got beat out. So he was good enough to start part time on one of the best defenses in college football of the last 25 years. This is a good add.

Tucker recruited him to Georgia, he had 38 offers out of high school including ND, Oregon, Michigan, Auburn, MSU, Georgia, Florida State, Ole Miss, USC, Tennessee and many more. He has run a 10.39 100 meters, blazing fast.

Tuck Comin', he is relentless, this off season is looking a lot like the last off season where every week news is breaking of Tucker improving the program some how.

Last edited:
Crouch was really good as the season went on, but apparently he has attitude problems. Still, he's got a ton of talent and speed and if he transferred again he'd have to sit a year. I'm hearing both Windom and Brule can rush the passer, Brule led the nation in QB hurries a year ago. So either could be a stand up DE on pass rushing downs.

Brule had a step back season this year, but he's been considered a day 2 NFL draft pick for a couple years. Windom is a monster, he's got speed and will get drafted too. With Brule, Windom, and Haladay, we've got 3 really good ones. If Crouch is around, we've got 4 dudes for 2 spots at LB, the kind of depth we need. And Ma'a will be in the rotation more and more.

Depth is what did us in this season in the end, we had too many guys banged up and the quality of their backups was lacking. This gives us another spot with really good, championship level depth, to go with DT. Adding a DE and a DB as a transfer is important.

Jared Horst apparently had some mental health issues he was dealing with and left the team after the Michigan game to go back to Wisconsin. He's reportedly back practicing with the team, his return is a key for the OL next season.

maybe, but not at MSU...

MSU adds transfer RB Jarek Broussard from Colorado. 2020 PAC 12 player of the year. Extremely elusive, just as good in that way as Walker was, doesn?t have the break away speed or power Walker has.

He and Berger are a really nice tandem.

Also looking kine we?ll add the TE from Illinois, Barker too. Big time bet, top TE in the portal.

So it looks like we're getting at least 3 and maybe 4 commitments from this weekend. Broussard, Illinois TE Daniel Barker should announces soon, and high 3 star 2023 Interior O Line Jonathon Slack is going to pull the trigger.

The 4th is a bit of a guessing game, but Enow Etta had a great visit and is getting future casts to MSU. 4 star DE from TX, 247's 63rd overall player and composite 157th. This is the Brandon Jordan effect, Jordan knows this kid for years and has been training him, I think he and his parents will have a zoom call with Tucker later in the week. Would be the first monster commit for Jordan.

Etta visited UM yesterday after visiting us Saturday and he was Tweeting pro MSU stuff while on his visit to UM, LOL.

This staff is dialed in on elephant hunting right now, I don't think you're going to see the class fill up with players outside the top 500 unless absolutely necessary at the end of the cycle. We have several 4 stars poised to commit to us before Spring, we could already have 10 4 stars in the class before Summer.

MSU is also hiring Georgia Tech's D Line coach, Marco Coleman to work in tandem with Jordan. Coleman had a 14 year NFL career and is considered a great recruiter down South.

OK, we may lead for Enow Etta right now, but the guy who is close to committing to MSU in 4 star DE Andrew Depaepe, #134 composite player in the country. Sounds like he's talking it over with his family now and might decide very soon. Would be a huge get.

Also, Illinois TE transfer Daniel Barker has committed to MSU. Very nice [pickup as a blocker and a red zone threat, is Illinois' all time leader in TD catches by a TE.

Last edited:
MSU adds transfer RB Jarek Broussard from Colorado. 2020 PAC 12 player of the year. Extremely elusive, just as good in that way as Walker was, doesn?t have the break away speed or power Walker has.

He and Berger are a really nice tandem.

Also looking kine we?ll add the TE from Illinois, Barker too. Big time bet, top TE in the portal.

If I were a Colorado fan I would hate MSU probably. We took their coach who has completely flipped our lifeless program in under 2 years and now this.

Does this mean we won't be stating a punter at tight end for the 3rd year in a row?

That is does. At first I was thinking, "TE? Is that a big need?" But then I thought about it, we have Carr who we're excited about, but he hasn't shown he can be the go to guy all season yet and his blocking is a work in progress. Then we'd have a couple freshmen if Hunt chooses not to return.

Barker was a big need and he's a great blocker too. Gives us a very good all around starter while Carr continues to develop.

We have 2 spots left and I expect them to go to 2 O Linemen, if we only can land 1 O Linemen I'd expect a DE to get the other transfer spot.

A couple Crystal Ballz for Andrew Depaepe, 4 star DE, #134 composite player in the country, 6-5, 245 lbs. Andrew and his family are having a 6pm Zoom tonight with Tucker and the entire staff. Could be a commit coming during that.

Johnathan Slack is committing to MSU tomorrow at 10am.

By all accounts Depaepe has committed to MSU, just waiting for him to publicly announce it.

He took his name out of the transfer portal, he?s coming back now.

I saw that. It would be interesting to know why - presumably there was interest from other schools but the fact that he didn't get into the rotation much on an OK linebacker squad also says something. it would be nice to see big strides from the LB and secondary units.

I saw that. It would be interesting to know why - presumably there was interest from other schools but the fact that he didn't get into the rotation much on an OK linebacker squad also says something. it would be nice to see big strides from the LB and secondary units.

Well we only played 2 lbs in our base d last year so my hope is that maybe he was told we'd be using 3 this year so he decided to stay. Because that scheme last season was trash. Lol

Well we only played 2 lbs in our base d last year so my hope is that maybe he was told we'd be using 3 this year so he decided to stay. Because that scheme last season was trash. Lol

The scheme isn't changing, however they might use one of the new LBs, Brule or Windom as a stand up rusher on 3rd down. Brule led the country in QB pressures 2 seasons ago.

Ma'a is a solid prospect, but he's not as explosive of an athlete as at least 3 guys in front of him in Windom, Crouch, and Brule. And Haladay is going to stay in the rotation too. But he's a good depth piece who is working on becoming a starter quality player and is still young.

Johnathan Slack officially committed. We like him as a center.

Andrew Depaepe is committed, he accidentally let out his commitment picture on Instagram, but he'll officially be Tweeting his commitment in the next few hours. Depaepe is a legit elite recruit, his 134th overall ranking is legit and he's shown in camps and on film he's worthy of high 4 star status. 100% Brandon Jordan on this ne, he was training him already and got him to campus, kid wanted to wrap his recruitment up and pulled the trigger.

A top 10 class is doable, we lead for a mess of 4 stars right now and are even in the mix on a few 5 stars.

Highest ranked out of state kid MSU has pulled since the 2016 class.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDepaepe2/status/1488988474875252736?s=20&t=dvFyJSOomN5J92Zv1fLwbA

?The first thing that stands out with Andrew is his physical stature,? says Strength U. founder/owner J.C. Moreau who has trained the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Depaepe. ?He has ideal length for an edge defender, powerful legs and hips and plenty of room to fill out up top. What makes him an elite prospect is the athleticism he possesses at that size. His measurables are exceptional for his height/weight/age. He currently jumps 34? and runs a 4.3 short shuttle. Last year he routinely ran 4.7s in the forty and absolutely has the horsepower to improve all of those. Those numbers are rare for a high school athlete of his size.?

?Andrew has the versatility , athleticism and frame to be a 275-pound, hand-down defensive end or a 260-pound outside linebacker,? Moreau added. ?He doesn?t show it in high school because of how his team plays defense, but day to day Andrew shows the athleticism to be able to run in space, backpedal and cover.?

Last edited:
Highest ranked out of state kid MSU has pulled since the 2016 class.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDepaepe2/status/1488988474875252736?s=20&t=dvFyJSOomN5J92Zv1fLwbA

?The first thing that stands out with Andrew is his physical stature,? says Strength U. founder/owner J.C. Moreau who has trained the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Depaepe. ?He has ideal length for an edge defender, powerful legs and hips and plenty of room to fill out up top. What makes him an elite prospect is the athleticism he possesses at that size. His measurables are exceptional for his height/weight/age. He currently jumps 34? and runs a 4.3 short shuttle. Last year he routinely ran 4.7s in the forty and absolutely has the horsepower to improve all of those. Those numbers are rare for a high school athlete of his size.?

?Andrew has the versatility , athleticism and frame to be a 275-pound, hand-down defensive end or a 260-pound outside linebacker,? Moreau added. ?He doesn?t show it in high school because of how his team plays defense, but day to day Andrew shows the athleticism to be able to run in space, backpedal and cover.?

really off to a great start for 2023, this is the first class when we're doing all in person recruiting, no virtual visits. We also have some success to build off, this should be our best class in a while.

Back