Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OTL Report

Looks like Lauren Allswede is walking back some of these comments. she was interviewed yesterday and said that sexual assault wasn't handled differently with athletes vs regular students and Ashley Thompson said that her statement of "Izzo runs east Lansing" was a complete assumption.

Allswede says most people she worked with did not want to file police or university reports of sexual assault charges, but the ones who did rarely saw a conviction. In her seven years at MSU, Allswede remembers working with only one student whose sexual assault case was prosecuted and resulted in a conviction. She recalls two or three Lansing residents whose cases were prosecuted and also resulted in a guilty conviction.

“This is not just about the athletic department or about MSU but about a larger system,” she said. “We should be looking at the prosecutor’s office and different police agencies and their response and their investigation of violent crimes.”

Sounds like everybody gets away with it up there.

Allswede says most people she worked with did not want to file police or university reports of sexual assault charges, but the ones who did rarely saw a conviction. In her seven years at MSU, Allswede remembers working with only one student whose sexual assault case was prosecuted and resulted in a conviction. She recalls two or three Lansing residents whose cases were prosecuted and also resulted in a guilty conviction.

?This is not just about the athletic department or about MSU but about a larger system,? she said. ?We should be looking at the prosecutor?s office and different police agencies and their response and their investigation of violent crimes.?

Lots of factors in play there, we have a legal system that requires evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to convict and that's rarely the case with sexual assault unless there's a video. In title IX cases, you just need essentially a 51% likelihood that something improper happened since you are simply removing someone from school vs putting them in jail. I don't know if the East Lansing numbers are different than national numbers.

?This is not just about the athletic department or about MSU but about a larger system,? she said. ?We should be looking at the prosecutor?s office and different police agencies and their response and their investigation of violent crimes.?

"up there?" do you have any data that suggests East Lansing is an outlier? Is this not a universal issue?

"up there?" do you have any data that suggests East Lansing is an outlier? Is this not a universal issue?[/QUO

He never debates, He throws a cut and pasted comment around then scurries off time after time. Its the entire mob mentality that people have. For most of them its just enjoyment getting a reaction out of people. :zzz:

Engler issues a very forceful statement:

"To the MSU campus community:
On this second day of my second week as interim president, I think it is important to address several matters many of you have raised with me.
Everyone knows the Nassar case is an international story. As he begins serving his sentence in a federal prison in Arizona, we are all still struggling to comprehend the extent of the damage he inflicted on so many girls and young women, and on their families.
Questions about how this could have happened and what must be done to prevent it from ever happening again are the subject of multiple inquiries. At the federal level, the U.S. Department of Education is conducting a Clery program review, the U.S. Senate has requested information, and the U.S. House of Representatives has two inquiries underway. The NCAA also is seeking information from us. In Michigan, the House of Representatives is requesting production of documents and the Attorney General?s Office, at MSU?s request, is conducting an investigation.
Add to these an accreditation agency inquiry and an ongoing blizzard of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, and the volume of compliance deadlines Michigan State University faces is daunting. Last week alone, we turned over data equivalent to some 45,000 pages of documents, emails, and other materials to William Forsyth, the independent special counsel who is heading the investigation for the Attorney General?s Office.
MSU is committed to cooperating with all official requests, and I?m grateful for the cooperation that faculty and staff have given the General Counsel?s office and the law firms that are assisting the university.
While the investigations are ongoing, activity in lawsuits representing well over 100 survivors continues to move forward. I?m following the progress closely as we work to return to mediation and, I fervently hope, a just resolution that helps the survivors bring some closure to this horrific chapter in their lives. Michigan State, too, needs to heal and to emerge a stronger institution, one where safety, respect, and civility are hallmarks.
That is not a new expectation. The University Policy on Relationship Violence & Sexual Misconduct states from the outset: ?Michigan State University is committed to maintaining a learning and working environment for all students, faculty, and staff that is fair, humane, and responsible?an environment that supports career and educational advancement on the basis of job and academic performance?. Relationship violence, stalking, and sexual misconduct are not tolerated at Michigan State University.?
It is a privilege to call ourselves Spartans, one that carries a responsibility to adhere to standards of behavior, on campus and off, that should be well understood by all.
We know from Title IX reports that a large proportion of our sexual assaults happen on campus, that all too often those involved are familiar with each other, and that alcohol consumption is often involved. We can do better with our campus relationship climate, and I?ll continue reaching out to people and groups in the days ahead for advice and suggestions that can move us toward the kind of campus we all want to be associated with.
Finally, I viewed with great concern a recent ESPN report that gathered considerable national attention in no small part because it showed a promotional graphic of our head football and men?s basketball coaches with Larry Nassar. This was a sensationalized package of reporting that contained allegations and insinuations that we are now reviewing. The coaches were asked to refrain from comment while the reports were examined. That has been a burden that must be lifted. I hope that MSU can soon respond in full and affirm the integrity and probity that has been the hallmark of these two respected coaches.
It isn?t easy to live under a microscope. I?m proud of how so many members of the Spartan community have expressed concern for the survivors in so many ways. I?m pleased?but frankly not surprised?by the willingness of so many to commence the hard work of making real change in order to achieve an environment that truly is fair, humane, and responsible. To that I would add safe and civil.
I?m fully aware that there is a lot of work to do and not much time to do it. I appreciate your support as we together address the urgent tasks in front of us. Because this is how Spartans show their will."

So ESPN's at it again. Runs a story yesterday of an MSU freshman walk-on on the basketball team (who hasn't played a minute this year), who has been investigated for an accusation of 4th degree sexual misconduct (didn't see the exact accusation, though it was alleged he groped a girl). No charges have been filed, investigation isn't done, and they name him in the article. Nice.

And then they double down by running the original OTL piece on ABC news with nothing new in that.

Last edited:
Sbee and i agree relevant info has conveniently been left out of this. Its espn, good luck when people like keith olberman and jemelle hill are sports experts. ESPN has been trash for 10 years

Back