Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Modern Country Music

tycobb420

I had not really listened to country since I worked in a record store (1990s). A guy in my van pool listens to it when he drives in. Quite frankly, it sucks. Every song sounds the same. Just wondering...what the heck happened in the last 20 years....any country music fans out there that can explain it?

I had not really listened to country since I worked in a record store (1990s). A guy in my van pool listens to it when he drives in. Quite frankly, it sucks. Every song sounds the same. Just wondering...what the heck happened in the last 20 years....any country music fans out there that can explain it?

I'm not a country fan, per se, I like Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash to a degree...

That said, your premise isn't clear to me - I think you may be implying that country music sucks more than it did 20 years ago?

If that's the case, I guess the first most obvious possible explanation is that within the last 20 years, Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash died.

It sucks like music has never sucked before. lol

It sucks like music has never sucked before. lol

I would say that Garth Brooks Friends in Friends in Low Places is the single listentoable (new word) country song in the last 20 years.

Although that song may already have been written and recorded over 20 years ago.

It's very, very hard for a country song to be good if it doesn't involve either the pathological abuse of alcohol or killing somebody, and those themes just don't seem to be common in contemporary country music.

The Dixie Chicks might have been slightly listentoable, but that may be only because Natalie Manes used to be eminently fuckable.

EDIT: Oh, that's right...a lot of their songs were about being dirty, filthy whores...or killing some dude that fucked them over; or getting shit faced drunk (ergo, satisfying the "killing somebody" or "patholocigal abuse of alcohol" qualifications...)

So we can add "being a dirty filthy whore;" assuming the singer of the song is a woman, to the list of possible elements required to make a country song actually good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw7gNf_9njs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YjwZfBFQA

Last edited:
I generally hate country music, but some of the old stuff, like the "outlaw country" from the 60's/70's was at least music... and sort of listenable in small doses.

"New Country" is awful... over-produced garbage. it all sounds like stuff used to promote Natty Light at a NASCAR race.

on the flipside, it did inspire this video from Bob Odenkirk.

I generally hate country music, but some of the old stuff, like the "outlaw country" from the 60's/70's was at least music... and sort of listenable in small doses.

And really, the artists associated with "outlaw country" - the ones I named, and people like Kris Kristofferson and Leon Russell - combined elements of country music with other genres, mostly rock and rhythm & blues.

Back