Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

At Nebraska

LuciousGameWinner

I've said this multiple times this year. But man oh man has Izzo ruined Harris' career. I feel bad for him. Went from an NBA player to not even sniffing the league

Beautiful take there by Winston, that's just something tum is not capable of doing

Ward finally getting playing time and now Winston is riding the pine. Damnit Izzo. The lineup with Winston, Harris, Langford, Bridges and Ward went on a little run and he right away switched it up

Last edited:
Nebraska 22 free throw attempts, MSU 6 :) Punk fucking refs. Why is the foul differential in our favor 1-10 for the last decade? Good win, even the refs couldnt stop us tonight.

Nebraska 22 free throw attempts, MSU 6 :) Punk fucking refs. Why is the foul differential in our favor 1-10 for the last decade? Good win, even the refs couldnt stop us tonight.

At the end Nebraska was trying to foul Winston and the refs still wouldn't call it. I don't mind the no calls as much as the hand checks we were getting called for.

Team is playing well defensively and the offense is producing wide open shots that are falling.

If this team gets to the tourney it will be one of Izzo's best coaching jobs. We have 1 player over 6-6. We started a 6-6, 230 lb walk on center last night against an opposing center who was 7-0, 280 and he got in some foul trouble. SO rather than play Ward, who is recovering from the flu, too much, at one point in time we had the 6-5, 220 lb walk on, Van Dyke, guarding that same 7-0, 280 lb center. And more than just one position, because of the lack of Carter and Schilling, and even Davis, we are playing guys out of position all over the floor. 6-3 Ellis has played the 4, 6-2 Harris has played the 3 a lot. 6-4 McQuaid has played the 3 and even the 4. Kyle Ahrens plays the 4 at 6-4, 220 lbs. The toughness it takes to bang inside when we are that undersized is impressive. And it's not like Ward is Shaq, he's a 6-8, 240 lb true freshman who scores down low because he has amazing footwork.

I'm not sure I agree with it being one of his best coaching jobs. While yes it is impressive to be competing with a 6-6 220 lb walk-on at center. Less impressive is the fact that that 6-6 220 pounder plays as many minutes night in and night out as your 6-8 240 lb legitimate post presence. Ward should be playing 25 minutes a night as he doesn't get into foul trouble that often. Then have Goins to spell him for 15 minutes and NEVER play Van Dyk at the 5.

I'm not sure I agree with it being one of his best coaching jobs. While yes it is impressive to be competing with a 6-6 220 lb walk-on at center. Less impressive is the fact that that 6-6 220 pounder plays as many minutes night in and night out as your 6-8 240 lb legitimate post presence. Ward should be playing 25 minutes a night as he doesn't get into foul trouble that often. Then have Goins to spell him for 15 minutes and NEVER play Van Dyk at the 5.

Well said! Also, start Winston.

I was bitterly disappointed when Winston chose MSU over UM. Admittedly I only saw film highlights, but his command of the game in high school was very impressive. I've only seen MSU play once this year, against UM, and his talent did shine through. So what's the deal with him not starting...just Izzo stuff, or has he struggled with TO's and/or defense?

I was bitterly disappointed when Winston chose MSU over UM. Admittedly I only saw film highlights, but his command of the game in high school was very impressive. I've only seen MSU play once this year, against UM, and his talent did shine through. So what's the deal with him not starting...just Izzo stuff, or has he struggled with TO's and/or defense?

He makes some really bad decision, one being driving under the rim and then jumping and realizing he has nowhere to go with the ball and turns it over. He's good for at least one of those every game. He's also a below average defender, but saying all that I still think he should be a starter. He is really good in pick and roll situations and is an excellent passer. He started earlier in the year and really struggled, but he seems to have grown.

Winston is just fine. He commits the occasional head scratch turnover as most freshmen do, but certainly more than offsets that with playmaking ability. He needs to get in the weight room, and when he does his defense will improve (along with experience).

Whether he starts or not doesn't matter. The rotation pretty much right now is ride Bridges for as many minutes as possible and platoon at the other 4 spots (Nairn/Winston, Harris/McQuaid, Langford, Ellis, Ward/Goins). The problem is 2-3 more of the positions shouldn't be in a platoon setup with the minutes going 20/20 but more like 25-15.

Last edited:
Sounds like he may have been handled correctly then. I'd expect that he works his way back into the starting lineup soon and is a team leader next year. And meanwhile I'm watching Xavier Simpson shoot what seems like 20% up in ann arbor

Back