Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

I quickly glanced at recruiting on 247. This years class is ehhh but next year they already have two commits from top 10 players in Ohio. Did OSU not want them or what? That's surprising.

Henderson has family connections to MSU, he is all Green. Scates has been an MSU lean for some time and tried to commit here in the summer. Both are highly ranked, but Ohio State really only starts with top 50 players. Don't see either of these guys flipping even when OSU does come calling. Scates is a freak athlete, way underrated because he's still raw, but he has legit elite speed at 6-3.

NJ RB Jonathan Lovett committed and will go public this week yet, he's that elusive speed back we need. We passed on getting a visit top 100 high 4 star RB Cordarian Richardson because we liked Lovett better.

so a couple 2 & 3 star kids flipped to MSU over the weekend. Pretty pathetic when that's the big news a week ahead of national signing day.

so a couple 2 & 3 star kids flipped to MSU over the weekend. Pretty pathetic when that's the big news a week ahead of national signing day.

MSU has never really had success with the few 5 star guys that they've had. I can think of McDowell and Lawrence Thomas. Malik was pretty solid. Lawrence was ehh but I guess some of that can be attributed to injuries.

I don't get too caught up in the stars thing. What worries me is that we missed out on most of our top priority guys.

MSU has never really had success with the few 5 star guys that they've had. I can think of McDowell and Lawrence Thomas. Malik was pretty solid. Lawrence was ehh but I guess some of that can be attributed to injuries.

maybe we don't need to land 5 star guys like OSU and michigan do but we need to do better than 2 & 3s. Finding diamonds in the rough worked well enough when we were competing with Wisconsin and a rebuilding OSU for B1G titles - but lets not forget that we had some elite talent that worked out pretty well too. It's not a sustainable model to compete in a B1G that has OSU, mich and possibly PSU as legit playoff contenders. We're not finding enough Worthy and Dennard type guys to field consistently competitive teams in today's B1G.

4 star 2018 TE Trenton Gillison committed yesterday, this makes 3 of the top 10 players in OH to start out class. 6-5, 220 lbs and could play DE as well as TE, played some corner back in high school too.

Wild week in recruiting. John Lovett committed to us then had second thoughts and was a lean to Baylor, but after the new Baylor scandal his family is pushing him back to MSU and he'll likely be in the class as the speed back we need.

Raheen Blackshear publicly committed to MSU, but the coaches didn't accept his commitment and now he's heading to Rutgers.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah was down to ND and us and visited ND this weekend, he is expected to commit to MSU.

I think we finish the class with JOK, Lovett, and 2 WRs from FL.

Lovett committed to Baylor. Seriously Johnny, you need to leave RCMB. That site is extremely misinformed.

Lovett committed to Baylor. Seriously Johnny, you need to leave RCMB. That site is extremely misinformed.

Lovett told the coaches he committed to MSU yesterday morning, he also made a commitment video to MSU which he shared with fellow commits, then he changed his mind last night.

Craziest cycle ever. We flipped a Purdue WR this morning, CJ Hayes. 4 star RBm Cordarian Richardson is not announcing on signing day now, instead he is visiting MSU this weekend and announcing after.

My point is, regardless of star rank, I don't like missing on most of our priority recruits. We don't just start out offering every 5 star kid and work down.

well, you said you weren't worried about number of stars?

MSU isn't going to win heads up with the Michigan, OSU, Alabama type brand programs for the elite prospects very often. I trust that this staff can find enough talent with the lower ranked guys like they've been doing for nearly the last decade. Just seems that in this recruiting cycle we didn't get many of the first wave of offers to commit.

Added one and lost one today.

Joseph Scates has decomitted. He. Keep up at a camp and Bama and OSU are hot on him. Kid is a stud.

Instate 4 star QB, Theo Day committed. #8 QB in the nation according to 247. 6-5, 197 lbs with a huge arm. Really good get.

Added one and lost one today.

Joseph Scates has decomitted. He. Keep up at a camp and Bama and OSU are hot on him. Kid is a stud.

Instate 4 star QB, Theo Day committed. #8 QB in the nation according to 247. 6-5, 197 lbs with a huge arm. Really good get.

What is your source on Scates decommitting? I know he picked up an Alabama offer, but no word of him decommitting.

What is your source on Scates decommitting? I know he picked up an Alabama offer, but no word of him decommitting.

He gone. Bama is playing games with his teammate Thomas IMO though.

GA CB Christian Jackson committed today, we beat scUM, Va Tech, and NC State for him among other offers. Good size and speed.

Last edited:
4 star S/CB Michael Dowell committed to MSU today. Little brother of the Dowell twins.

3 star MI CB Davion Williams joins the class. He starred at camp this weekend and is a legit freak athlete, ran a 4.48 forty and jumped 40" for his vertical. 6-2, 185 lbs and he's a 4 star basketball player too. Love this pick up as he's a versatile freak athlete.

3 star OT, Dmitri Douglas from Canton MI committed today too. Was the best O lineman at this weekend's camp and left with an offer. Out performed a lot of much higher rated recruits so the staff offered. Smart kid who held an offer from Harvard.

Theo Day is by far the best recruit in the state, he's flat out dominating other 4 star QBs at camps, he has an elite arm, elite size, and good athleticism. He's probably the most physically gifted QB we've brought in since Jeff Smoker.

I'm disappointed that we are being out recruited by teams like Kentucky and Cincinnati this cycle

Back