Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Moving to the Lansing area (Okemos)

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
We purchased a house in Okemos and close on it this week. I grew up in the Detroit area and I'm not very familiar with the Lansing area.

I have two boys, 2 and 5, and I'm looking for possible places to get memberships for doing stuff in our new area. Impression 5 and Potter Park Zoo are the two places I see mentioned most. Any other suggestions? Is there a park system similiar to the Metro Parks in Southeast Michigan?

We purchased a house in Okemos and close on it this week. I grew up in the Detroit area and I'm not very familiar with the Lansing area.

I have two boys, 2 and 5, and I'm looking for possible places to get memberships for doing stuff in our new area. Impression 5 and Potter Park Zoo are the two places I see mentioned most. Any other suggestions? Is there a park system similiar to the Metro Parks in Southeast Michigan?

There is a major circus over in East Lansing if you're interested. :*)

I have a bunch of family in EL, so spent a lot of time around there growing up.

I don't remember much in the way of fun activities for kids except the zoo, & a kids museum. There are city parks around. there's a public beach at Lake Lansing you can go to.

I know one of my cousins moved back and I remember him saying something about them frequenting a state or county park in Grand Ledge that wasn't too far of a drive. Check it out!

(1276) Okemos has great schools and is ranked #12 in schools on a list my wife just found based on graduation rates, enrollment, ect,ect.
I graduated from (875) Haslett (#48) and back in the day we were great rivals.
The football stats of each since 1950 since I know you want the football stats lol!!!!
The two teams do not play every year like back in the day because of the size differeces of each school. I still remember the agonizing defeats to Okemos damn it all !!!! That damn last second fg in 1978 killed us 10-8. Then we lost to DeWitt the following week 7-0, and mason 14-0, and that was that. No offense which was weird because we rolled Fowlwrville 33-0 in week one.

Haslett 348-350-16
Okemos 336-248-7

Okemos 19-15 alltime verses haslett .

Last edited:
(1276) Okemos has great schools and is ranked #12 in schools on a list my wife just found based on graduation rates, enrollment, ect,ect.
I graduated from (875) Haslett (#48) and back in the day we were great rivals.
The football stats of each since 1950 since I know you want the football stats lol!!!!
The two teams do not play every year like back in the day because of the size differeces of each school. I still remember the agonizing defeats to Okemos damn it all !!!! That damn last second fg in 1978 killed us 10-8. Then we lost to DeWitt the following week 7-0, and mason 14-0, and that was that. No offense which was weird because we rolled Fowlwrville 33-0 in week one.

Haslett 348-350-16
Okemos 336-248-7

Okemos 19-15 alltime verses haslett .

This was our primary reason for choosing Okemos. We toured a few schools, they seemed like they were the best fit for us.

Fowlerville is trash in almost every sense of the word, I hate it here. It doesn't surprise me that their football team goes with the trend.

GrandpaMichchamp used to live in Okemos. It was nice, although gets a little rural. there are a lot of different parts of Okemos.

CanineChamp used to like visiting because there were all sorts of woodland creatures he could chase around and torment.

Eagle Eye golf course is nice

One of the best courses I've ever played. Very expensive but I got a great deal on golf now the two times I played.

MichChamp hit the main ones I can think of. There's a museum on campus that is popular for field trips, I remember going once in elementary school. Also Sleepy Hollow State Park isn't too far either a little north of Laingsburg, I think there are campsites and trails up there. There is a Lansing Reddit page if you use that site which may discuss this in a thread.

Last edited:
This was our primary reason for choosing Okemos. We toured a few schools, they seemed like they were the best fit for us.

Fowlerville is trash in almost every sense of the word, I hate it here. It doesn't surprise me that their football team goes with the trend.

Not sure about Fowlerville schools as they were not in that top 50 school list lIke
(12) Okemos, (48) Haslett , and (26) byron center ( plug for my kids school).

Football wise Okemos is in the biggest caac conference and since 2000 just can't compete very good with the other schools. Okemos dominated in the late 70's to 2000 in sports. Good thing about Okemos and Haslett they are close to east lansing and lansing in my opinion. I think caac leagues adjust everything every few years like alot leagues.

Since 2000
Haslett 113-61.
Fowlerville 92-83.
Okemos 60-95.

Couple hours to Lake Michigan. I know they also have a historical village (never been), and a nature center. That was cool but many years ago. Not sure if your children are interested in this stuff. That's all I know about the Okemos area.

Eagle Eye golf course is nice

I hadn't even thought about golf, I'm glad you brought that up. Been wanting to get back on the links for some time now. Will check it out.

Couple hours to Lake Michigan. I know they also have a historical village (never been), and a nature center. That was cool but many years ago. Not sure if your children are interested in this stuff. That's all I know about the Okemos area.

Kids would definitely dig a nature center, probably a another couple years on the historical village.

Last edited:
Been there many times, You won't be far from the MSU campus from Okemos, some nice walk or jogging trails through and around the campus if your into that.

I know an East Lansing tradition is burning couches and flipping over police cars, so you can have that to look forward to.

I know an East Lansing tradition is burning couches and flipping over police cars, so you can have that to look forward to.

getting teargassed together is an activity the whole family can enjoy.

I have in-laws in Okemos. I'll e-mail my SIL and get some information. Their kids all went to Okemos HS.

Back