Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Historical Draft

inkfreq

Just for fun, I wanted to put together a list of the best pick at each position by the team that holds that pick this year.

Some teams have never picked at that spot before. For example, the Falcons have never made at pick at #31 before, Not surprising since not many teams have... the 32 team format hasn't been around very long and there have only been so many runners up.

Some teams are really new to the league (Jaguard, Panthers, Texans), and the Ravens don't officially get the Browns records, so they have a short schedule too.

Completely meaningless, but it was fun for me to look at and compare how teams have done historically with the pick they have this season.

1 Browns Courtney Brown
2 49ers Earl Morall
3 Bears Dick Butkus
4 Jaquars First ever pick at #4
5 Titans George Webster
6 Jets John Riggins
7 Chargers Earl Faison
8 Panthers Jordan Gross
9 Bengals Kieth Rivers
10 Bills Stephon Gilmore
11 Saints Russell Erxleben
12 Browns Clay Matthews
13 Cardinals Michael Floyd
14 Eagles Bud Grant
15 Colts Ellis Johnson
16 Ravens First ever pick at #16
17 Redskins Kenard Lang
18 Titans Kenny Holmes
19 Buccaneers First ever pick at #19
20 Broncos Steve Atwater
21 Lions Johnnie Morton
22 Dolphins First ever pick at #22. (Their only time at #22, they sent the pick to the Colts as compensation for Don Shula.)
23 Giants First ever pick at #23
24 Raiders Neal Colzie (also at this spot, Todd Marinovich)
25 Texans First ever pick at #25
26 Seahawks Chris Spencer
27 Chiefs Larry Johnson
28 Cowboys Larry Bethea
29 Packers Nick Barnett
30 Steelers Heath Miller
31 Falcons First ever pick at #31
32 Saints Patrick Robinson

Last edited:
You could argue that we got the 4th best player in that draft. Butkus, Riggins and Atwater are better players. The 4th best is up for grabs.

Corrected pick #32. I had forgotten the Pats traded that pick to the Saints for Brandin Cooks. Saints have only made one previous pick at #32 in the first round.

Hard to consider Morton as the Lions' "best #21 pick" when there were only two in franchise history.

Hard to consider Morton as the Lions' "best #21 pick" when there were only two in franchise history.

When the other was Bob Bell, Morton wins.

And obviously each team only has so many picks at each spot. It's not like the Lions have had 30 picks at 321 to choose from. Some teams on this list only had one guy to pick from, and some had none at all.

Millen wanted to fight Morton in UFC. That is worth something.

Millen wanted to fight Morton in UFC. That is worth something.

Had Morton actually knocked Millen out in a fight, regulation or not, he'd be the #1 player ever drafted by the Lions in my book. Ahead of Barry even.

Last edited:
Until recently, I refused to even say "Millen". I referred to him as "The Beast That Shall Not Be Named".

Going to two playoffs in three years removes the sting enough to be able to say it again, but you will never hear me say it with anything but disdain.

He was the worst GM in history, but even worse, he's just an awful human being.

Back