Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Good News 2017 Season

Good news: Sanchez gave up two runs that did not matter. Ausmus was relieved of having to manage. Castellanos is turning into Dave Kingman. Avila can still tie his own shoes and Fulmer's elbow has not shredded yet. McCann did not play. Nor did he fight with Iglesias. Collins did not play RF like Martini plays pick-up basketball. Adduci is way above his career numbers. Things are looking up.

I see Upton with 35 home runs..

Going to turn back the clock on this off day and respond to a few posts here. I was talking about signing Melvin. Should Melvin hit 35 HR's sign him for a year. His defense got to be better than what the Tigers have gotten. Sho7ld you be talking about Justin he better hit 30+ this season!

Melvin Upton is one of the worst offensive OFers over the last 3 years (without isolating his Away stats). His defense is just slightly above average. With a team that has troubles against RHP, adding one more player that struggles against RHP is plain stupid.

I would rather give Jones and Collins a chance. Mahtook is just a younger version of Upton.

Question have you seen enough of Jones, Collins, and Mahtook?

I think BJ/Melvin Uptons career is basically over, but I'd take him over Mahtook for a low cost deal for a year or two. Worth a shot I think.

Collins 1 xbh; is 0 for 17 in his last 5 games. Mahtook 1 xbh!; is 4 for 23, 2 for 8 in last two games. He not lighting up for me. Jones, 3 xbh; 1 for 19 in last 8 games. Since the 1st couple games none of these guys have done any thing! Shoot Kinsler is only 5 for 20 in last 5 games to turn around his slide.

Good news: Tigers score 19 runs without Cabrera and Martinez, and McCann raised his BA 20 points, to .178. Avila? .407? Drug test imminent.

The Good News, Game 19, 4-25-2017.
Game 19 found a 19 run win, with a 24 hit attack. 5 Doubles, 2B: Kinsler (2); Upton (4); Collins (1); V. Mart?nez (2); Adduci (2); a Triple Adduci 1st; 4Homers, McCann 5th,Upton 4th,Avila 4th, and Mahtook 1st making 10 XBH's

Tigers D got 3 early DP's to help Zimmerman get his 2nd win of the season. Some times you win ugly, and sometimes you win with Zimmerman. However Zimm PC was only 80 with NO walks. 5 relief pitches took 87 pitches and 7 walks in 3 innings to get the win in the book! I'm here to say either the ump lost the strike zone, or the relief lost the plate!

Brad is IMO a bad manager! Lifting Kinsler with a 4 for 5 game does not sit well with me at all. Kinsler could have gotten a 5th or 6th in this game. Tigers did get 3 hit games from Collins, must have read post #63& 64; Avila, Adduci He batted .500 in this game only to see his average fall to .600 on the season. Yea it can happen. And Romine put a charge in his average with 3 hits as well.

Greeen, Ryan, Jimenez could not get the ump to give them strikes at time. It even took Hardy 14 pitches to get te last out of the game. Of the 167 pitches 74 of them were called balls, 29 by Zimm in 6 innings, FOURTY FIVE by the relief in 3 innings! You tell me what happened. Even our new hot shot Jimenez was victimize.
And as all ways the Good News is great news with a Tiger win.

Last edited:
The Good News, Game 19, 4-25-2017.
Game 19 found a 19 run win, with a 24 hit attack. 5 Doubles, 2B: Kinsler (2); Upton (4); Collins (1); V. Mart?nez (2); Adduci (2); a Triple Adduci 1st; 4Homers, McCann 5th,Upton 4th,Avila 4th, and Mahtook 1st making 10 XBH's

Tigers D got 3 early DP's to help Zimmerman get his 2nd win of the season. Some times you win ugly, and sometimes you win with Zimmerman. However Zimm PC was only 80 with NO walks. 5 relief pitches took 87 pitches and 7 walks in 3 innings to get the win in the book! I'm here to say either the ump lost the strike zone, or the relief lost the plate!

Brad is IMO a bad manager! Lifting Kinsler with a 4 for 5 game does not sit well with me at all. Kinsler could have gotten a 5th or 6th in this game. Tigers did get 3 hit games from Collins, must have read post #63& 64; Avila, Adduci He batted .500 in this game only to see his average fall to .600 on the season. Yea it can happen. And Romine put a charge in his average with 3 hits as well.

Greeen, Ryan, Jimenez could not get the ump to give them strikes at time. It even took Hardy 14 pitches to get te last out of the game. Of the 167 pitches 74 of them were called balls, 29 by Zimm in 6 innings, FOURTY FIVE by the relief in 3 innings! You tell me what happened. Even our new hot shot Jimenez was victimize.
And as all ways the Good News is great news with a Tiger win.

taking Kinsler out and putting in Machado was absolutely the right move. a 10 run game is the perfect time to give your 34 year old a little break and get some playing time for your bench players. He got Machado, Hicks and Mahtook in the game which is what he is supposed to do.

taking Kinsler out and putting in Machado was absolutely the right move. a 10 run game is the perfect time to give your 34 year old a little break and get some playing time for your bench players. He got Machado, Hicks and Mahtook in the game which is what he is supposed to do.

Yea I would rather have a .262 than a .272 hitter lead off next game. Lets not try to build up our lead off hitter. And really was this game in the bag?

I remember a game in the 80's or some time around then. The Tigers scored 20 runs. And the question came up did they win. With Cano and Cruz in Seattle line up, they are dangerous! And really Tigers scored 9 in the 5th. The game is only over when the other team is out of outs!

this team will be below .500 before May. This start has been done with smoke and mirrors. No team can sustain success with this BP.

Record 11-8 with 5 to play in April. Odds are looking for even or over. Unless the bullpen completely losses it.

this team will be below .500 before May. This start has been done with smoke and mirrors. No team can sustain success with this BP.

11-12, April 29-2017 yep it has happen. Losing 4 in a row, with TWO starters going 7 innings as well. Scoring 8 runs in 4 games.

At least V-Mart hit a Home run. Tigers did get it tied in the 9th with 2 runs.

11-12, April 29-2017 yep it has happen. Losing 4 in a row, with TWO starters going 7 innings as well. Scoring 8 runs in 4 games.

At least V-Mart hit a Home run. Tigers did get it tied in the 9th with 2 runs.

well, they got back to .500 before May 1st but they did go below .500 before May 1

I have NO idea how they are .500 with this team.

I don't quite see the positive pull this thread once had :hehe:

Being .500 is not so bad. If competing is what we're shooting then it's even better only two behind the division leader. And we're not the Royals..

The Good News Game 26, 5-2-17. How good can it get. Three victories in one game? A Tiger win, against a division opponent. A Verlander win against Cleveland. A win against a team in front of us. Now tied.
Verlander gets his second win of the season against Cleveland and Kulber. Lowered his ERA to 4.21, it's down from 6.04.
Relief pitching did a ok job. J Wilson got 2 strikeouts in his inning. K-Rod Strikes out one in his 7th save.

Cabrera got his 4th home run in his return from the DL. Doubles by Kinsler 3rd, Romine 5TH and Avila 2 Hits lead the offence.

Stats are a history of what's happen. There been some talk about how bad the bull pen been. Well look at what the Tigers have now. Cuevas 108.00 ERA, Rondon 40.50 ERA, Jimenez 12.46 ERA, Ryan 7.94 ERA, Saupold 6.23 ERA, all in the minors. Sanchez is not a true reliever. That means that the relievers that are being used in games Tigers are trying to win now have an era of 2.73. Last 7 starts Tiger starters have a 3.42 era. Pitching wise Tigers have been better lately.

The Good News ,game 27, 5-3-17. Tigers record fell to 14-13 as a results of this loss. Tigers pitching did as well as they could against the Tribe. The 4th inning being there undoing.
Boyd 2-2, did pitch into the 8th inning. He threw 102 pitches in 7.2 innings, allowing 5 hits 3 walks, 3 runs, and striking out 4. Tigers are 3-3 in Boyd's 6 starts. Hardy came on and relied 1.1 scoreless innings. His era is at 2.35 with 8 strikeouts in 7.2 innings.

Doubles by Iglesias 7th, Castellanos 8th and Adduci 2 hits could not get the offence more than 2 runs.
Cabrera being thrown out at 3rd in the 4th, destroyed that inning, and could have cost a run. When is he/Tiger going to learn he is not a 5 tool player?.

POSTPONED today, off to Oakland for THREE. Need some wins there. Like the pitching matchup there. Fulmer gets the 1st one would be nice.

Back