Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFL Draft Thread 2017

Why? He's a Cleveland Brown now. I never had a problem pulling for Speilman, White (William or Stan) or even Doug Van Horn. Never once considered that they were Buckeyes.

I've never had a problem either. I was perfectly fine with Thom Darden, Leroy Hoard, Aaron Shea and Braylon (before his hands turned to stone). And I'm sure there were a number of other Wolverines whose names I don't recall. I'm sure I'll be fine with Jabril too, but for some reason I can't explain, it feels a little different. Probably because I'm an old fart.

Edit: Thought a little more about this. There are some guys that when they are on your team you love, but if they are on an opposing team you just don't like. Think about guys like Bill Laimbeer or Dennis Rodman, for example. I lived in Detroit when the Bad Boys were doing their thing and loved both guys. But if you weren't a Piston fan, nobody could stand either one of them. For me, Jabril has been one of those guys. Yes, the poor guy has been drafted by the Browns but I haven't yet started to think of him as a Brown. I'll get there.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem either. I was perfectly fine with Thom Darden, Leroy Hoard, Aaron Shea and Braylon (before his hands turned to stone). And I'm sure there were a number of other Wolverines whose names I don't recall. I'm sure I'll be fine with Jabril too, but for some reason I can't explain, it feels a little different. Probably because I'm an old fart.

Edit: Thought a little more about this. There are some guys that when they are on your team you love, but if they are on an opposing team you just don't like. Think about guys like Bill Laimbeer or Dennis Rodman, for example. I lived in Detroit when the Bad Boys were doing their thing and loved both guys. But if you weren't a Piston fan, nobody could stand either one of them. For me, Jabril has been one of those guys. Yes, the poor guy has been drafted by the Browns but I haven't yet started to think of him as a Brown. I'll get there.

Until Laimbeer, and Rodman were playing for them. It's like Aaron Rodgers, I doubt anyone here likes him but if he played here we'd root for him. That's sports for you..

Until Laimbeer, and Rodman were playing for them. It's like Aaron Rodgers, I doubt anyone here likes him but if he played here we'd root for him. That's sports for you..

Hate the dude. If A-Aron were wearing blue and silver he'd be my hero. I can admit it.

CB in round 2, hopefully it doesn't require us moving up if there is a run on CBs. I expect there will be though

19 defensive players taken in Round 1. 5 CBs, 3 safeties, 3 true LBs, 8 Dline/pass rush LBs

13 offense. 3 QBs (top 12), 3 WRs(top 10), 2 RBs (top 10), 2 OL, 3 TEs

Lots of CBs, RBs, WRs, DEs and Safeties left. And even some LBs if they want to double dip in Round 4 or 5.

As much as I think we need defense I will admit I wont be mad if we can get Cook. I really think he is a special RB

I'm all about Defense. They can take all defensive players for all I care. A DE or DT would be nice in round 2, but if they found another good LB, I'd be happy as well.

Last edited:
If Cook or Mixon are there, I would take them. We have lacked a star at RB since Barry left. I'm sick of always complaining about the run game. I heard we led the league in "3-and-out" percentage last season, or were somewhere near the bottom of the league anyway. Too many 2nd/3rd and longs.

If they're both gone then take the best corner on the board. That's my preference anyway.

If Cook or Mixon are there, I would take them. We have lacked a star at RB since Barry left. I'm sick of always complaining about the run game. I heard we led the league in "3-and-out" percentage last season, or were somewhere near the bottom of the league anyway. Too many 2nd/3rd and longs.

If they're both gone then take the best corner on the board. That's my preference anyway.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-time-of-possession-per-drive/2016/

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-five-minute-drive-statistics/2016/

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-plays-per-drive/2016/

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-ten-play-drive-statistics/2016/

Most five min drives. Most play per drives. Most 10 play drives in the league. And this is without Abdullah. And Riddick 5 games

Lions had the most time per drive in the league. Plenty of long drives.

However they were 21st in 3 and outs per drive. So it was feast or famine. Again without Abdullah almost alld season and Riddick a good amount

Last edited:
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-time-of-possession-per-drive/2016/

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-five-minute-drive-statistics/2016/

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-plays-per-drive/2016/

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-ten-play-drive-statistics/2016/

Most five min drives. Most play per drives. Most 10 play drives in the league. And this is without Abdullah. And Riddick 5 games

Lions had the most time per drive in the league. Plenty of long drives.

However they were 21st in 3 and outs per drive. So it was feast or famine. Again without Abdullah almost alld season and Riddick a good amount

I'm not sold on Abdullah. He may very well be good, but I don't think he is a star. He would be great as a Darren Sproles type, or a change of pace. He has injury and fumble issues and he can't carry the load like a Cook or Mixon can. That's just my opinion.

Riddick is a nice player but he's not a true RB. He should be a slot WR. I'm not gonna die on this hill, so if they go defense again I'd be fine with it. I just think an every down back would give us a real shot in the arm. I would snag Cook or Mixon in a heartbeat.

Look at it this way...if its 3rd and short who are we giving the ball to? If its 4th and goal etc.

Here's the info for Friday's and Saturday's draft rounds:

Rounds 2-3: 7 p.m. Friday:
ESPN and NFL Network (coverage will switch from ESPN to ESPN2 at 8 p.m.).

Rounds 4-7:
noon Saturday, ESPN and NFL Network.

I'm not sold on Abdullah. He may very well be good, but I don't think he is a star. He would be great as a Darren Sproles type, or a change of pace. He has injury and fumble issues and he can't carry the load like a Cook or Mixon can. That's just my opinion.

Riddick is a nice player but he's not a true RB. He should be a slot WR. I'm not gonna die on this hill, so if they go defense again I'd be fine with it. I just think an every down back would give us a real shot in the arm. I would snag Cook or Mixon in a heartbeat.

Look at it this way...if its 3rd and short who are we giving the ball to? If its 4th and goal etc.

Cook has carry the load issues too (chronic shoulder problmes). Abdullah had more college carries. Cook has many shoulder issues, fumbles issues and off field. Abdullah is a shiftier, better receiver, better character and better player than Cook. Abdullah did well his rookie year and fixed the fumbles. Then looked great in 2 games in 2016 before a fluke foot injury on a juke (not from wear and tear). 4.2 YPC for Abdullah and we had terrible blocking in 2015.

Abdullah is a 150 carry back. He can get 180-200 in a season and is good between the tackles. But it would nice to add another back too. I don't think Mixon or Cook need to be that back in Round 2 (if they are even there).

Abdullah has talent for sure. We deserve him to be heathy. We shall see.

Lions will add a back. Hopefully Round 3, 4 or 5 for that.

Give me Perine in Round 4 if we are talking short yardage.

Slot WR and future at CB, S and DE due to impending free agents next offseason. I love the CBs and Safeties left and some good DEs too

And short yardage, show pass and Riddick is a big threat that opens things up. 3rd 4, 3 and 2 are pass and the Lions have a great option to convert with Riddick or Abdullah

Last edited:
Cook has carry the load issues too (chronic shoulder problmes). Abdullah had more college carries. Cook has many shoulder issues, fumbles issues and off field. Abdullah is a shiftier, better receiver, better character and better player than Cook. Abdullah did well his rookie year and fixed the fumbles. Then looked great in 2 games in 2016 before a fluke foot injury on a juke (not from wear and tear). 4.2 YPC for Abdullah and we had terrible blocking in 2015.

Abdullah is a 150 carry back. He can get 180-200 in a season and is good between the tackles. But it would nice to add another back too. I don't think Mixon or Cook need to be that back in Round 2 (if they are even there).

Abdullah has talent for sure. We deserve him to be heathy. We shall see.

Lions will add a back. Hopefully Round 3, 4 or 5 for that.

Give me Perine in Round 4 if we are talking short yardage.

Slot WR and future at CB, S and DE due to impending free agents next offseason. I love the CBs and Safeties left and some good DEs too

And short yardage, show pass and Riddick is a big threat that opens things up. 3rd 4, 3 and 2 are pass and the Lions have a great option to convert with Riddick or Abdullah

If the whole world knows you're going to pass on 3rd and short you don't think that makes it easier to defend? I agree Riddick is a good option on those types of plays, but wouldn't it be even more effective if it was run out of playaction where the defense actually has to be concerned with our run game? Cook instantly makes the whole offense better, including Stafford. You've complained for years that he gets no run support.

Not trying to take a dump on Abdullah either. He certainly has talent. I just don't think he's a future stud or pro bowler. He is smaller and thus more likely to get hurt if we get him a high volume of touches. We can't just dismiss an injury as a "fluke" until we have more data as well. If he stays healthy the next 3-4 seasons, then we can call it a fluke.

It's a moot point anyway, as I'm sure those RBs will both be gone come our pick.

All are mocked (ESPN) to go either right before or right after the Lions 2nd round pick. Who do would you take if they are all available?
Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State - ESPN's pick
Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
Duke Riley, LB, LSU
Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut

I hope we grab Cook or Mixon.

Our Defense with another 2nd Round pick won't be great. We add a stud RB, and our offense might be top 3

If Cook or Mixon are there, I would take them. We have lacked a star at RB since Barry left. I'm sick of always complaining about the run game.

I agree, I think landing another starting outside(not squatty) corner and an edge rusher should be the top priorities in these next 2 rounds though

One player I dont want is McDowell. He was at the draft last night but has left.

Its not just this its about everything I have heard about his time at MSU and his bad interviews. Let someone else have this headcase

I don't think Cook will be there when we draft and I don't like Mixon's off field issues. I'd go defense again, either secondary or DLine.

Back