Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Please Read, Everyone..

Mike

I've been getting a lot of complaints around here lately, more than anytime before. It seems like no one can get along here anymore, and that's a shame. We really have a great forum here, and I'd hate to see it go the same way many other forums have gone.

I'm asking all of you, please, keep the insults to yourself if you don't agree with someone. You can debate and argue peacefully, but please don't resort to name-calling and flaming, I beg you. I'm tired of the emails. I'm tired of the PMs. If you all can't get along on some level, this place isn't going to continue to grow healthy.

We're going to be watching more closely, so if we still see stuff like this going on, the penalties are going to be stiffer. I hate that it has to come to that, but I have no other choice.

Please police yourself, refrain from vulgar language, and respect one another. That's the best thing you could do for DSF right now.

And remember, for those of you that have issues with other members, please be proactive and use the ignore feature located in your User CP. It will make your life a lot easier.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

-Mike

I've been getting a lot of complaints around here lately, more than anytime before. It seems like no one can get along here anymore, and that's a shame. We really have a great forum here, and I'd hate to see it go the same way many other forums have gone.

I'm asking all of you, please, keep the insults to yourself if you don't agree with someone. You can debate and argue peacefully, but please don't resort to name-calling and flaming, I beg you. I'm tired of the emails. I'm tired of the PMs. If you all can't get along on some level, this place isn't going to continue to grow healthy.

We're going to be watching more closely, so if we still see stuff like this going on, the penalties are going to be stiffer. I hate that it has to come to that, but I have no other choice.

Please police yourself, refrain from vulgar language, and respect one another. That's the best thing you could do for DSF right now.

And remember, for those of you that have issues with other members, please be proactive and use the ignore feature located in your User CP. It will make your life a lot easier.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

-Mike

People are seriously messaging you about getting insulted on a message board? Yikes.

I'm surprised to hear that, too.

Is there a "Restore" function you can use to reset the board members to six months ago?

I have to imagine it's coming from the other boards. There are jabs every once and a while on our board but I just can't see someone complaining about it to an admin.

I have to imagine it's coming from the other boards. There are jabs every once and a while on our board but I just can't see someone complaining about it to an admin.

who are these little babies that need to run and cry to mama?

we should have a policy that the only proper complaints involve attempts to out someone's id, post their RL contact info, send them personal threats, violating a posted rule or engaging in any virus uploads/spamming/spoofing/fishing/etc. those are legit complaints. anything else will result in the complainer themselves getting a warning/ban.

Wow. The Lions board gets heated but come on, emailing complaints? Guess they weren't around for the original ESPN board.

How pathetic is ones life that they have to cry to an admin about an anonymous message board post? Seek help or grow a pair.

we should have a policy that the only proper complaints involve attempts to out someone's id, post their RL contact info, send them personal threats, violating a posted rule or engaging in any virus uploads/spamming/spoofing/fishing/etc. those are legit complaints. anything else will result in the complainer themselves getting a warning/ban.

Agreed. There are some pretty obvious things you don't do but if you write a mod because someone called you stupid, I think you need to be the one who gets a little time out. As the admin pointed out, everyone is fully capable of blocking a poster. If they are insulting you, block them. But insults and non-civil banter kind of come along with the territory of posting on a message board sometimes.

Last edited:
Agreed. There are some pretty obvious things you don't do but if you write a mod because someone called you stupid, I think you need to be the one who gets a little time out. As the admin pointed out, everyone is fully capable of blocking a poster. If they are insulting you, block them. But insults and non-civil banter kind of come along with the territory of posting on a message board sometimes.

We may agree here, but I still think you're really stupid.

When I helped moderate another board, I was very surprised at the number of PMs and side notes I got. From my experience, there were those who were more frequently complaining and those who were more frequently complained about.

I'm sure that someone complained about me recently and that's pretty lame, but message boards are simply a microcosm of society at large. Whether it's at work, in a social setting or back in school you have all types of people and some of them aren't as comfortable with direct communication and/or "conflict."

This is how I always advise people on this board if they come to me...

If you're having a constant problem with somebody and it's becoming very personal, then I'll handle it with a simple message to the person. If it's just a simple jab back and forth, I'm not getting involved. We're all adults here. If you can't handle the occasional jab or insult, you shouldn't be on a message board. However, if it crosses over into being more than just the normal verbal sparring, then I have no problem with stepping in. I don't want anyone to feel that they're being ganged up on.

Personal attacks are always a no-no. By personal attacks, I mean talking about someone's family or the way someone lives. That's not okay. It'll always result in a warning to the person if there is a complaint and deletion of the post...if i see it or if it's pointed out. Calling someone an idiot or a moron is not a personal attack in that sense and I wouldn't do anything about it. If you can't take being called an idiot, get off the internet.

Maybe Mike has a different policy, but we shouldn't have to tell you all these things.

Mods here on DSF should have declared their interest in becoming one and have been elected by vote, IMO. That was not the case, obviously. Perhaps a vote by the members would have produced somewhat different results, depending upon who and how many had interest (and enough free time to spend here) in becoming one.

Also, it is very murky with the exception of KC being the defacto Tigers/MLB forums moderator, as to who is reponsible for moderating what particular portions of all forums on DSF. Or are the rest just "roving" mods?

disclaimer: I have never PMed or emailed a complaint about any moderator or member to the Admin.

I agree with 90% of that, but I don't see a problem with fishing. I used to love to fish when I lived in Michigan and don't think there should be repercussions for doing so.

Phishing on the other hand...

Mods here on DSF should have declared their interest in becoming one and have been elected by vote, IMO. That was not the case, obviously. Perhaps a vote by the members would have produced somewhat different results, depending upon who and how many had interest (and enough free time to spend here) in becoming one.

Also, it is very murky with the exception of KC being the defacto Tigers/MLB forums moderator, as to who is reponsible for moderating what particular portions of all forums on DSF. Or are the rest just "roving" mods?

disclaimer: I have never PMed or emailed a complaint about any moderator or member to the Admin.

I have never considered running to the Admin and didn't know how to contact the great and mighty until I wanted some capitalization in my name and I found his PM.

As long as there are no insults its all good. You're always going to get disagreement on a message board.

This is Monster's board and it was created to get away from ESPN and their constant monitoring - deleting of post, among other things, - its more open here. Correct me if I'm wrong, Monster.

Outside of personal insults and having an occasional thread go completely off topic I don't see a huge problem, certainly not illusive man (Admin) worry.

Its a message board after all..you could always go back to ESPN.

actually, you can't. they got rid of their message boards completely. now you can only comment on articles, and only if authenticated via facebook, or some other such service

actually, you can't. they got rid of their message boards completely. now you can only comment on articles, and only if authenticated via facebook, or some other such service

Oh yeah, I forget :hehe:

As long as there are no insults its all good. You're always going to get disagreement on a message board.

This is Monster's board and it was created to get away from ESPN and their constant monitoring - deleting of post, among other things, - its more open here. Correct me if I'm wrong, Monster.

Outside of personal insults and having an occasional thread go completely off topic I don't see a huge problem, certainly not illusive man (Admin) worry.

It's not my board anymore, but I'd say it's still the board that I created. I'm still a mod, though and I want to make sure everyone has a good time here. As long as nobody is going out of their way to be a dick, I think there shouldn't be complaints. If you don't like it, find another board that you have so much freedom and don't have to worry about being the target of ridicule when you post something stupid. Good luck finding one.

Back