Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of Christians behaving badly

I think you can use the same type of thinking to say Stalin was no secular humanist. I don't think you can get him out of the atheist camp very easily. Atheism is too clean a concept to give you much wiggle room. There's not much tied to it. It's just a single position on an single question. Well, maybe you could find some agnostic-sounding quote and move him to the agnostic camp...I don't know. Christianity is loaded with baggage and opposing Christians that don't think the other Christians count as Christians and people that argue that your actions either do or don't reflect what truth you believe in and all that jazz.

edit: I get you're not seriously trying to argue Stalin wasn't atheist. What I'm really getting at is that the no true Scotsman thing specifically goes after circular arguments. Sometimes there are things that disqualify you from a group so it is possible to misuse the argument...I really wouldn't hold Stalin against someone pushing secular humanism.

What I'm getting at is that just because someone goes against what their religion/non-religion teaches, that doesn't disqualify them from that. If that's the case, does a Christian who lies, steals, cheats, has pre-marital sex get kicked out of the club, too? If sin determines whether you are a Christian or not, then nobody is a christian. If only certain sins cause exclusion, then you need to find a passage that explains which ones, because that's not in the book I have read.

That pastor can ask forgiveness, change his ways and get back into God's good grace any time. Same goes for any Christian who sins. This pastor is a Christian. He's just an asshole who commits the worst of sins. Just as Stalin was an atheist, but the murderous, genocidal kind. Just because of his actions, you can't deny his beliefs.

What I'm getting at is that just because someone goes against what their religion/non-religion teaches, that doesn't disqualify them from that. If that's the case, does a Christian who lies, steals, cheats, has pre-marital sex get kicked out of the club, too? If sin determines whether you are a Christian or not, then nobody is a christian. If only certain sins cause exclusion, then you need to find a passage that explains which ones, because that's not in the book I have read.

That pastor can ask forgiveness, change his ways and get back into God's good grace any time. Same goes for any Christian who sins. This pastor is a Christian. He's just an asshole who commits the worst of sins. Just as Stalin was an atheist, but the murderous, genocidal kind. Just because of his actions, you can't deny his beliefs.

I think what he's saying is that the pastor is a false prophet or more likely, an impostor - someone who pretends to be Christian in order to prey on the weak and defenseless is not a Christian.

Last edited:
I think what he's saying is that the pastor is a false prophet or more likely, an impostor - someone who pretends to be Christian in order to prey on the weak and defenseless is not a Christian.

Was George W. Bush a Christian? What about Dick Cheney?

whatever helps you deflect criticism of your fool religion...

How not to react when your son comes out of the closet: http://youtu.be/1df_i26wh-w

The two accents tell you all you need to know. 1. Camera man is definitely gay. 2. The other voices in the video are asshole rednecks.

"you're a damn queer!" - WTF

They attacked him! Are you serious? I really hope he didn't wait to move out, because they really might kill him.

He used science to defend himself and they totally disregard it in favor of their bible. And then they have the nerve to talk about everything they've done for him in his life...like being gay is disrespecting them somehow.

They accept 99% of science without even realizing it, but when it comes to this one single issue, the bible trumps common sense. I'll never understand why it is that being gay is the absolute worst sin in the bible. plenty of other sins are called abominations with penalties of death.

This might be as bad... http://www.atheistrepublic.com/news/church-tampa-cancels-funeral-because-deceased-gay

those aren't real Christians.

Any Christian who does something hypocritically un-Christian is not a real Christian, and therefore Christianity is beyond reproach.

Also, not true rednecks or a true gay cameraman.

those aren't real Christians.

Any Christian who does something hypocritically un-Christian is not a real Christian, and therefore Christianity is beyond reproach.

They're just pretending to be Christians in order to do bad things?

They're just pretending to be Christians in order to do bad things?
exactly. They're atheists (and probably liberals as well), trying to make Christianity look bad.

so when you watch that video, remember:

atheism = intolerant; bad.

Christianity = perfect.

I won't say who it is that messaged me a couple weeks ago, but I'll tell you that he was very angry because I made fun of his religion. Okay, well, if you want to know why I mock your religion, takes a couple minutes to get to the real points of the video but here ya go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luib2pT6yi4

Back