Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of Christians behaving badly

Belated Halloween Tie-in:

You know those urban legends of sickos poisoning kids' Halloween candy for kicks?

The true story is, this was actually done by a Baptist deacon from Texas in 1974, who poisoned his own child to kill him and collect on an insurance policy he had just taken out on him (link)... despicable. Bryan was sentenced to death and executed for this in 1984. At his execution, a crowd threw candy at the anti-death penalty crowd that was present there.

Paster Rick Joyner, who claimed the US would defeat COVID-19 with prayer, and continued to hold in-person, maskless, indoor masses is sick with COVID-19. (link)

What a dummy.

He earns a place here by continuing to hold super-spreader events on a weekly basis.

are we really this stupid as a nation? South Korea banned in-person religious events like right away when this happened.

Vatican admits Pope JPII was warned about Theodore McCarrick's history of sexual abuse, but promoted him to arch bishop of DC anyway.

This story really is a doozy...

as bad as the CNN story sounds, the network STILL gives the Vatican a pass, downplaying how extensive and reported the allegations against him were.

This NJ paper reports the allegations of sexual abuse of children (and other male priests) were far from "anonymous" as the CNN story claimed (link)... sounds like several people went on the record against him.

People are putting their heads in the sand when they claim these are isolated incidents, or a couple bad apples threatening the Holy Church. It's one thing (one evil, cynical, and depraved, thing, but still one thing) to move a guy around from parish to parish to try to bury allegations, and shield the church from liability, but quite another to actually promote him through the ranks of church leadership.

When one knows someone is a scumbag, and yet one still protects and promotes them into a leadership role... what's the motivation here? Either one tacitly condones their behavior, or has some suspect/ulterior motive for keeping them around.

Vatican admits Pope JPII was warned about Theodore McCarrick's history of sexual abuse, but promoted him to arch bishop of DC anyway.

This story really is a doozy...

as bad as the CNN story sounds, the network STILL gives the Vatican a pass, downplaying how extensive and reported the allegations against him were.

This NJ paper reports the allegations of sexual abuse of children (and other male priests) were far from "anonymous" as the CNN story claimed (link)... sounds like several people went on the record against him.

People are putting their heads in the sand when they claim these are isolated incidents, or a couple bad apples threatening the Holy Church. It's one thing (one evil, cynical, and depraved, thing, but still one thing) to move a guy around from parish to parish to try to bury allegations, and shield the church from liability, but quite another to actually promote him through the ranks of church leadership.

When one knows someone is a scumbag, and yet one still protects and promotes them into a leadership role... what's the motivation here? Either one tacitly condones their behavior, or has some suspect/ulterior motive for keeping them around.

Initially, many of the accusations were discounted, unfortunately, including those from a Cardinal O'Conner in 1999. He died in 2000.

From the report, a letter from Archbishop Re (prefect of the Congregation for Bishops) to Archbishop Montalvo (Apostolic Nuncio to the United States) -- he was also concerned about McCarrick.

I wish to assure you that I have referred [the matter] to the Holy Father, who is inclined to believe that the “rumors and allegations” have no real foundation, given the great priestly and ecclesial spirit of the Most Excellent Prelate [McCarrick].

But JPII initially refused to promote McCarrick:

Nevertheless, His Holiness is in agreement that it is not appropriate to run the risk of these accusations resurfacing by promoting Msgr. McCarrick to a more important See, even if they do lack foundation.

Then, McCarrick communicated to JPII about the O'Conner's letter in 2000. Ultimately, his letter and the recommendations from other bishops and other factors details in the report influenced JPII to promote McCarrick.

I intend on reading every word of the report, but the account of the accusations and subsequent promotion begins on page 165.

That the church has been infiltrated by unholy men is no secret or surprise. That the church insufficiently acted to eradicate the un-holiness is highly disturbing. However "Her [Mary's] Immaculate Heart will triumph" and the "Gates of Hell will not prevail."

And McCarrick should be in jail.

Last edited:

The headmaster, according to Paul, told her about a former student whose father had once told him to bow when apologizing, calling it "the Nigerian way."
In his office, the headmaster told the story again, Paul said. "This time, it was 'the African way.'" She said she tried to convey to the headmaster that he'd "humiliated and degraded my son," but said she didn't feel heard.

How was he supposed to know not all black people are Nigerian?

This is a slippery slope.

Once we start asking people to understand that it's not okay to single people out based on the color of their skin, & treat them differently because of that, it's only a matter of time before we're living in an oppressive worldwide Chinese communist government, funded by George Soros, and there are gray-skinned aliens there too, doing weird alien things.

in all seriousness though, why is it so hard for some people to simply apologize for saying or doing something racist (or at best completely tone deaf...) especially if (as they often claim) they aren't racist or didn't mean to offend anyone?

in all seriousness though, why is it so hard for some people to simply apologize for saying or doing something racist (or at best completely tone deaf...) especially if (as they often claim) they aren't racist or didn't mean to offend anyone?

Because that automatically makes them a bleeding heart liberal. Fuck your feelings Michchamp.

Matt Gaetz’s bio lists him as a Baptist.

Innocent until proven guilty but the allegations are pretty bad.

I understand he went on Tucker Carlson and wasn’t exactly treated with kid gloves.

This topic could have its own thread I guess but I didn’t feel like starting one.

Matt Gaetz?s bio lists him as a Baptist.

Innocent until proven guilty but the allegations are pretty bad.

I understand he went on Tucker Carlson and wasn?t exactly treated with kid gloves.

This topic could have its own thread I guess but I didn?t feel like starting one.

I saw a clip, he tried to bring Tucker down with him lol.

"I'm not the only one on screen who has been falsely accused of a terrible sex act."

Gaetz cast the lone 'no' vote on a widely bipartisan human trafficking bill that passed unanimously through the U.S. Senate in September [2017] before sailing through the House by a count of 418 to 1.

That's not a good look at all..

what did he actually do? I'm just reading he had a 17 year old girlfriend he travelled with.

I assume he was sleeping with her... so "sex trafficking" in this case sounds like statutory rape (assuming 17 is below the age of consent where he was)

when I read "sex trafficking," I think "pimping" but it doesn't sound like he did that

when I read "sex trafficking," I think "pimping" but it doesn't sound like he did that

There's another guy that is being investigated and/or prosecuted for sex trafficking. Gaetz was a client and is suspected of further involvement.

There's another guy that is being investigated and/or prosecuted for sex trafficking. Gaetz was a client and is suspected of further involvement.

ah ok. I saw some comment about Gaetz dad wearing a wire or something, but didn't feel like learning more about it.

Back