Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade Drummond

That really wasn't my point. Of course he has the most attempts when teams are fouling him 5 times in 9 seconds.

my point was that most teams worst shooter isn't attempting a ton of free throws so their team percentage wouldn't be impacted that much.

If/when Silver changes the hack-a rules this off-season, how much does Dre's value jump? I'd have to think it increases a fair amount, and probably tips him more to the superstar side of the star/superstar line he's currently riding.

If/when Silver changes the hack-a rules this off-season, how much does Dre's value jump? I'd have to think it increases a fair amount, and probably tips him more to the superstar side of the star/superstar line he's currently riding.

I don't know what the exact rule change will be. Personally, I don't think they should change the rule for 2 or 3 players that can't shoot free throws.

my point was that most teams worst shooter isn't attempting a ton of free throws so their team percentage wouldn't be impacted that much.

But it will be even if just a bit. As a whole the team is bad at FT shooting. Which was what I was trying to convey. Drummond is the worse offender but not the only one..

Guards are solid, not great and that's pretty much it.

I don't know what the exact rule change will be. Personally, I don't think they should change the rule for 2 or 3 players that can't shoot free throws.

I don't think he should change the rules for the players.......but I do think he should change it for the fans. Who wants to pay money to go see Drummond get hacked 74 times a game.

I think the rule change needs to be simple, though. I would just give the team being fouled (only if that foul is off the ball) the option of shooting free throws or just taking the ball out with a new 24 second clock. It would completely eliminate the hack-a-whoever as there would be no point in fouling anymore. However, the last two minutes of the game that new rule would not apply.

Last edited:

I don't see why not. I know as a fan it's painful to watch the last minute take 10. The NBA should want guys like Drummond playing at games end rather than sitting the bench. He's the one fans spend money on to go see ..

for every other player in the league except for Drummond, Jordan and Howard the rules are fine the way they are.

Silver said it was his big priority to fix this based on fan feedback.

I hate watching these games turn into free throw contests and having the last 2min take 20min to get through. That's probably my biggest complaint with the current NBA product.

for every other player in the league except for Drummond, Jordan and Howard the rules are fine the way they are.

How many of us have to say it.. Not about them but the people who pay good money to watch them. And maybe one day they will get sick of paying money to see them.

Rules get changed all the time that only effect only a handful of players. I see this no different.

And I've never seen anything worse than getting foul with the ball not even in play. That should be 2 shots and team keeps the ball.

I disagree. Fouling has pretty much taken the place of playing good defense at the end of games. Doesn't matter if the player is a good FT shooter or not, they are still fouling guys to milk the clock. It's annoying to watch and can make the prior 3-1/2 quarters of play moot if one team happens to have a really good or really bad run at the line. Plus, I liked the more physical era of basketball. Now, you breathe on a player and he acts like he got shot and needs to get carried off the court.

Silver said it was his big priority to fix this based on fan feedback.

I hate watching these games turn into free throw contests and having the last 2min take 20min to get through. That's probably my biggest complaint with the current NBA product.

It is the same way at every level of basketball. If a team is down towards the end of the game but it is still close they will foul. It's part of the game.

It is the same way at every level of basketball. If a team is down towards the end of the game but it is still close they will foul. It's part of the game.

Not when the ball isn't even in play. Whether it's the same elsewhere is ridiculous.

I agree with the sentiment that these guys should get better at the line, but that's not my issue with it. My issue is that it ruins the watchability of games. That's what Silver is planning to correct, which is great news to most fans.

If anything, if the ball is out a play and someone gets fouled - anyone on the court should be able to shoot it.

Not when the ball isn't even in play. Whether it's the same elsewhere is ridiculous.

so now it will go the other way. A team is trying to play good defense, gets called for a foul off the ball (trying to go through a screen or something) and the offense gets 2 shots and the ball. This will probably promote softer defense.

so now it will go the other way. A team is trying to play good defense, gets called for a foul off the ball (trying to go through a screen or something) and the offense gets 2 shots and the ball. This will probably promote softer defense.

I'm not talking off the ball. I'm referring to the ball has yet to be put into play and fouls are being called.

And when McDaniel's took those 5 fouls in 9 seconds not even sure they were fouls more like soft touches.

Back